DONT SPEAK TOO SOON

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
StanMan
Top Up Player

DONT SPEAK TOO SOON

Post by StanMan »

Matty post match had to have a crack at 'those who aren't on board for the ride' after we fell in by 3 points against the Shinboners.

Well Matty - We might win 2 more in 2010 to finish 8-14 - and that my son aint good enough to end your 3RD YEAR at the club.

As for Hardingham - why has he been hidden for the whole season when our midfield has been looking for a forward who can take a mark inside 50.

StanMan
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Re: DONT SPEAK TOO SOON

Post by Megan »

No disrespect Stanman but could this not have been posted in one of the many million Knight bashing threads? Did you REALLY need to start a thread to say the same thing 90% of the forum is saying?
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

You've gotta have read them to know what's in them :wink:
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Don't listen to Megan - the more Knights bashing threads the better.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Yeah it is awesome for the club to have people kicking it while it is down from the inside. Knighter is spot on to give some back.

8 wins is a good result for this team considering what we lost last year. We have gotton a lot of games into a lot of young players.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Sismis wrote:Yeah it is awesome for the club to have people kicking it while it is down from the inside. Knighter is spot on to give some back.

8 wins is a good result for this team considering what we lost last year. We have gotton a lot of games into a lot of young players.

6 wins against teams at around our level with maybe one or two upsets over strong teams would have been a good result. Fact is, we have been towelled by teams below us and managed to "rise to the occasion" against clearly superior teams. Go figure. Whilst beating the top dogs is fun, I seriously question whether we have progressed at all this year when we cant match it with the bottom teams. Furthermore, I dont think the notorious game plan has improved a single iota. We leak goals as bad as any team in the comp and go to water the minute any pressure is applied. We have certainly got game time into Hurley and Gumbleton but for a lot of other players, its been nothing but frustration. (Atkinson, Houli, Myers etc)

And anyway, we have 6 wins so far, where are the next 2 wins coming from?

This year has been a backward step in my honest opinion. But hey, it could be a case of one step backwards, two steps forward.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Sismis wrote:Yeah it is awesome for the club to have people kicking it while it is down from the inside. Knighter is spot on to give some back.

turn it up sismis. closing in on 3 years under Knights and we are still the worst defensive team in the comp. 8 wins (if we get there) is still a dismal season. this is professional elite sport. you win games or you don't. if you don't then goodbye.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Windy_Hill wrote: 6 wins against teams at around our level with maybe one or two upsets over strong teams would have been a good result. Fact is, we have been towelled by teams below us and managed to "rise to the occasion" against clearly superior teams. Go figure. Whilst beating the top dogs is fun, I seriously question whether we have progressed at all this year when we cant match it with the bottom teams. Furthermore, I dont think the notorious game plan has improved a single iota. We leak goals as bad as any team in the comp and go to water the minute any pressure is applied. We have certainly got game time into Hurley and Gumbleton but for a lot of other players, its been nothing but frustration. (Atkinson, Houli, Myers etc)

This year has been a backward step in my honest opinion. But hey, it could be a case of one step backwards, two steps forward.
So you would prefer more of a season and progession like say Sydneys? (they have beaten everyone under them and only Carlton above) ie the swans are consistently just average.

Essendon lacks consistency, but what is exciting is that when they are up, they are genuinely up, playing footy capable of worrying anyone in the comp. consistency will come, but hopefully when it comes to Essendon it will be consistently good, not consistently middle of the road.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Windy_Hill wrote:

6 wins against teams at around our level with maybe one or two upsets over strong teams would have been a good result. Fact is, we have been towelled by teams below us and managed to "rise to the occasion" against clearly superior teams. Go figure. Whilst beating the top dogs is fun, I seriously question whether we have progressed at all this year when we cant match it with the bottom teams. Furthermore, I dont think the notorious game plan has improved a single iota. We leak goals as bad as any team in the comp and go to water the minute any pressure is applied. We have certainly got game time into Hurley and Gumbleton but for a lot of other players, its been nothing but frustration. (Atkinson, Houli, Myers etc)

Did we expect noimpact from losing the players we did last year? People are saying how well Melbourne are doing, we have a younger team and are half a game behind them. People are talking up Richmond, we beat them and are a game ahead.

We are inconsistant and prone to lacking in confidence, young teams tend to do that.

I would much rather a team demonstrate it has the potential to beat top teams and finish outside the 8 while it is developing than to scrape through vs the middle runners and make the finals. Consistancy will come, I would rather it be consistantly competitive against top teams.

2 wins? That is a minimum. Carlton and Brisbane. We will also pull in at least one upset hopefully Collingwood.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

tonysoprano wrote:

turn it up sismis. closing in on 3 years under Knights and we are still the worst defensive team in the comp. 8 wins (if we get there) is still a dismal season. this is professional elite sport. you win games or you don't. if you don't then goodbye.
What had Thomson accomplished in 3 years? And he started with a better team.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

Yeah but,as the this years slogan says "THIS IS ESSENDON".
We are not Geelong,Swans,Melbourne,Bulldogs or any of the rest who for years struggled to get to the business end of the season.
Expectations are high and patience is low.
It's the breeding.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Rover 7 wrote:Yeah but,as the this years slogan says "THIS IS ESSENDON".
We are not Geelong,Swans,Melbourne,Bulldogs or any of the rest who for years struggled to get to the business end of the season.
Expectations are high and patience is low.
It's the breeding.
This is very true. Our expections are our biggest problem and have been for 10 years.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Sismis wrote:
2 wins? That is a minimum. Carlton and Brisbane. We will also pull in at least one upset hopefully Collingwood.

hahahah ROFL. upset Collingwood. =D> that would be the most optimistic post of the year.

I guess a lot can change in three or so weeks. I take it you have seen the way the pies are playing at the moment?

we might snag two more wins, to do that Knighta has to keep the groups confidence up regardless of the result. As now is the business end of the season, of our 5 last games - Saints, Pies, Dogs are going to be red hot.

I view carlton and brisbane as 50/50. the blues have finals to play for and we are always close against the lions.(I expect brisbanes form to improve as Brown gets games under his belt post injury)
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

StanMan wrote:As for Hardingham - why has he been hidden for the whole season when our midfield has been looking for a forward who can take a mark inside 50.
Classic. We play a first gamer in the forward line and he kicks four goals despite the fact he has been predominantly playing half back flank at Bendigo. But it's not "Congratulations Knights" or "Well done for thinking outside the box", it's "Why didn't you do this earlier?".

I thought it was an inspired piece of selection and I'm mightily impressed with the results. Hardingham has been taking a lot of grabs at Bendigo but hasn't been kicking a lot of goals.

One swallow does not a summer make but great debut and good work at the selection table.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Sismis wrote: This is very true. Our expections are our biggest problem and have been for 10 years.

I think that being shit has been our biggest problem since 2003. If our expectation is not being shit, then I guess that's a problem. 2011 will be the 9th year of the rebuild.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Sismis wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:

What had Thomson accomplished in 3 years? And he started with a better team.
You're right in that Thompson didn't accomplish much - I think they were pretty much 50/50 for his first 3 seasons - and made a prelim final in about his 5th or 6th season? I couldn't tell you what gains they made or didn't make in regards to scoring and defending - but what I do know is that when Knights was given the job he stated that his initial focus was improve our defensive record. It hasn't improved one iota under his "plan" whatever that happens to be.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

robbie67 wrote: 2011 will be the 9th year of the rebuild.
we f***** up big time by taking "top up" players and are paying the price and will for some time yet!!!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Sismis - If we are happy with the year than we are simply happy to accept mediocrity. We are right to set our expectations and standards high.

In terms of getting games into young players - yes Melksham and to a lesser extent Howlett and Colyer have got games. Of the more "experienced" young players - Hurley, Pears, Gumby and Zacha (though played out of position) have had a fair run. But Myers, Houlii, Reimers, T. Slattery, Atkinson, Prismall and Still have not really been supported. Instead there are "experienced" players who have not been playing well who are given armchair rides with the team despite bad form/questionable skills and not having to earn ther spots through the seconds.

Well on the plus side - I'll get a free train ride to the footy on Friday and there will only be 5 more games till this dreadful season is over.

sti
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Jazz_84 wrote:
we f***** up big time by taking "top up" players and are paying the price and will for some time yet!!!
Yep, very true, but that was just one in a long litany of screw ups that we continue to make. Only those of blind faith still support Knights. His press conferance after the game only proves he doesnt have the nature to be a leader of men. Fancy letting the press know that they had gotten to him in such a manner. It was piss week, just like any sort of defensive plan he supposedly has.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

robbie67 wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:
Yep, very true, but that was just one in a long litany of screw ups that we continue to make. Only those of blind faith still support Knights. His press conferance after the game only proves he doesnt have the nature to be a leader of men. Fancy letting the press know that they had gotten to him in such a manner. It was piss week, just like any sort of defensive plan he supposedly has.
exactly, and melbourne have been up, down and are heading up (properly) again all before we even look like putting something together, i guess a smart coach will do that for your team ey, we are woeful, a team full of flashy footballers not taught to play 2-way footy, if this isn't stopped NOW we are in BIG trouble. mainly because all our good kids are learning to wrong thing to start there careers but we all know this.... well almost everyone :roll:
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals