What will be Knight's Legacy?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
auditor
High Draft Pick

What will be Knight's Legacy?

Post by auditor »

What will be Knight's Legacy ? :?
It just fell out of the sky
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Re: What will be Knight's Legacy?

Post by Rover 7 »

Among many he will be remembered as up there with the best con artists of our time.
He conned everyone into seeing him as a good player when he was just an average performer at a poor club.
He conned every club he's been connected with that he's a great coach.
He conned people that he is his own man when he's just an insecure pig headed dictator.
He conned the players that his way was the winning way and everyone else had it wrong.
He conned all and sundry he could reinvent the wheel,scrap everyone and everything and start again.

He won't con the auditors in a couple of years time though when they gaze down at the books at the telltale red ink and trace the cause back to
the Knightsmare con and shake their heads in bewiderment.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

What will be his legacy?

The massive turd he has laid on our club.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Came with a lot of promise and excitement (especially in his first year) but ended up turning the club into the laughing stock of the competition...

Thanks Knighta... :x
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Hopefully a dent in our war bonds so that he never darkens our doorstep again.

I for one would happily up my Membership Package if the Board gave him $1m now to piss off and not come back!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

To be fair - Knights is (was?) the necessary interval between a club and Australian legend and the coach and team who will take us to success.

He did clear out a most of Sheedy's project players and deadwood favoured players - trouble is he has introduced a few project players and faves of his own (Quinn, Slattery). At the same time it has lead to a leadership/senior player vacuum with anyone aged over 25 an automatic inclusion for the seniors no matter their form.
He did recruit a decent fitness coach (lets face it - the Quinn type injuries have almost disappeared ... instead our injuries come from on field conflict) who has managed to get Gumby and Winders back onto the park ... but hasn't been so effective with Neagle and Daniher
He has recruited a bunch of potentially top players - Pears, Hurley, Zacha, Melksham, Colyer, Howlett ... and has very good recruitment options in Hardingham, Crameri, and Silverlock ... but has been dudded in trades (Williams)

IMO - apart from the gameplan - he has five big big problems - which stem from one critical flaw ... It is all about him.

Problem 1 - He has a appointed suite of very ordinary assistant coaches with no prior experience (except for G'OD) and little, if any success. Heaven forbid that an assistant is more knowledgible or better than him.
Problem 2 - Poor communication skills - well at least with us. But, I suspect that this is also true for many players ... His refusal to take part in the singing of the song, the slap at supporers and members when recently beating a crap team, his lack of interaction with players at huddles etc
Problem 3 - the my way or the highway approach to team selection - i don't have the stats ... but would be sunned if we don't have the highest average team changes per club in 2010 ... let alone unforced team changes... and these changes seem to impact most on the 2nd to 4th year players who need to work through a bad game but coming back the next game.
Problem 4 - Related to 3 above - there is little to no connection between performance in the seconds and selection ... consistently good players at Bendigo are overlooked while poor performers are rewarded. This leads to lack of pressure for favoured or senior players consequently lacklustre performance
Problem 5 - Gameplan ... enough said

sti
Last edited by s'dreams on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Filthy wrote:I hate Matthew Knights.

Passionately.
I think he is a stupid and stubborn man that i for the life of me can't understand his way of thinking and frustrates me to the fetal position on the floor in a puddle of my own tears

so i don't hate HIM as such but f*** me i never thought id hate having him as our coach SO MUCH!!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals