Sydney..

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Sydney..

Post by andrewb »

Mumford, Kieren Jack, Craig Bird, Daniel Hanneberry - all absolute guns, all picked late or traded. Plus Jetta, Vezpremi, Rohan, etc. Despite everyone thinking that they were cooked, it's now beginning to look like they're not even going to bother with bottoming out - how the hell are they doing it?

Why can't we find guys like this.. is the development team down there that much better than ours?

It's driving me nuts.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Sydney..

Post by robbie67 »

andrewb wrote:Mumford, Kieren Jack, Craig Bird, Daniel Hanneberry - all absolute guns, all picked late or traded. Plus Jetta, Vezpremi, Rohan, etc. Despite everyone thinking that they were cooked, it's now beginning to look like they're not even going to bother with bottoming out - how the hell are they doing it?

Why can't we find guys like this.. is the development team down there that much better than ours?

It's driving me nuts.
I have been saying for years, that if you want to remian competitive, you have to get these decisions right. We havent had a good draft since Noel Judkins left the club.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I actually think that our drafting under Knights has been ok, I think it is the fact we don't have a game plan is what is making some of our kids look bad.
Myers, Hurley, Pears, Zaharakis, Hooker, Coyler, Melksham, Howlett have all been recruited under Knights.

We f***** up between 1998 and 2005 and we are paying for it now because those guys should be in their peak.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

andrewb wrote:Mumford, Kieren Jack, Craig Bird, Daniel Hanneberry - all absolute guns, all picked late or traded. Plus Jetta, Vezpremi, Rohan, etc. Despite everyone thinking that they were cooked, it's now beginning to look like they're not even going to bother with bottoming out - how the hell are they doing it?

It's driving me nuts.

Could it be Roos vs Knights?
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

I'm not sure if its good drafting or good development.
I really like Ben McGlynn from their side. a former hawthorn reject.
And of course Mumford squeezed out from the Cats.

I think off field the swans are very well run. Another side which is very good is Fremantle and Collingwood. they have people everywhere.

Also I think Sydney will bottom out. they are losing a few good senior players this year.

Another thing, since the mid 90s.(when Sydney started to perform consistently well save a poor year or two when Eade got pushed out), Sydney has had significant Salary cap concessions(an extra mil a year I think).

I think you would find the real operating cost of Sydney is much higher than say Essendon.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Rossoneri wrote:I actually think that our drafting under Knights has been ok, I think it is the fact we don't have a game plan is what is making some of our kids look bad.
Myers, Hurley, Pears, Zaharakis, Hooker, Coyler, Melksham, Howlett have all been recruited under Knights.

We f***** up between 1998 and 2005 and we are paying for it now because those guys should be in their peak.
Spot on.

=D>
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Fk off with this shit.
How many times do i have to make it clear to people who are brain dead or just dont read.

There is nothing wrong with the players we have drafted in the past 3 years (18-22yo's)

10 Jake Melksham Essendon
24 Jake Carlisle Essendon
26 Travis Colyer Essendon
33 Anthony Long Essendon
Pre-Season
1 Kyle Hardingham Essendon
14 Taite Silverlock Essendon
30 Ben Howlett Essendon
43 Stewart Crameri Essendon
55 Marcus Marigliani Essendon
65 John Williams Essendon

5 Michael Hurley Essendon
23 David Zaharakis Essendon
55 Michael Still Essendon
67 Tyson Slattery Essendon
Pre-Season
3 Hayden Skipworth
5 Bryce Carroll
21 Thomas German
36 Christian Bock Essendon
50 Kade Klemke
64 Michael Quinn Essendon

6 David Myers Essendon
23 Tayte Pears Essendon
39 Father/Son Darcy Daniher Essendon
54 Cale Hooker Essendon
Pre-Season
5 John Williams Essendon
8 Tom Bellchambers Essendon
5 Rhys Magin
21 Jarrod Atkinson Essendon

If you are going to bag the shit out of Knights thats fine...but dont look like a complete douchebag in the mean time
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I don't often agree with you nomolos but this time I think you're right on the money.

I am getting sick and tired of all the maudlin, woe is me, crap that's been getting posted recently.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

swoodley wrote:I don't often agree with you nomolos but this time I think you're right on the money.

I am getting sick and tired of all the maudlin, woe is me, crap that's been getting posted recently.

Then its time for you to step and and give BT something wonderfully optimistic and heart warming - what have you got Swoodley?.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:
swoodley wrote:I don't often agree with you nomolos but this time I think you're right on the money.

Then its time for you to step and and give BT something wonderfully optimistic and heart warming - what have you got Swoodley?.
I'm not sure that I need to be posting "wonderfully optimistic and heart warming " things Windy.

If I have something I feel is worth saying, I say it (and I will continue to do so).

If that upsets you, then such is life and we will just have to agree to disagree on some issues.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

I think what stands out as the difference between the swans and the dons is how much better sydney has been doing recently with its trades and recycled players.

I also think Sydney's senior players are in general are lot better than ours.(save for probably Watson, Hille and Fletcher)

BTW our drafting in the last 3 years looks ok. I think we have gotten some decent players in Hurley, Zaharakis, Melksham, Hardingham, Howlett, Pears and Colyer. With some decent question marks over some others.

The swans will take a bit of a dip next year I feel. New coach, no Brett Kirk(and someone else is going from their side as well I am pretty sure....). Their 2011 could be like our 2010 (ie partly due to Lloyd, Lucas, Lovett and McPhee left, a fair chunk of talent and leadership)

gaps take a while to fill.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

nomolos wrote:Fk off with this shit.
How many times do i have to make it clear to people who are brain dead or just dont read.

There is nothing wrong with the players we have drafted in the past 3 years (18-22yo's)

If you are going to bag the shit out of Knights thats fine...but dont look like a complete douchebag in the mean time
Who criticised the drafting under Knights? If anything, I think people are more critical of the developement process rather than the drafting.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

little_ripper wrote:I also think Sydney's senior players are in general are lot better than ours.(save for probably Watson, Hille and Fletcher)

BTW our drafting in the last 3 years looks ok. I think we have gotten some decent players in Hurley, Zaharakis, Melksham, Hardingham, Howlett, Pears and Colyer. With some decent question marks over some others.
Our senior players are fine (Fletcher, Hille, McVeigh is still a decent player despite the bagging he gets here) but from there down to our kids there's not much.
Watson very good
Winderlich not bad
Monfries ok
Welsh ok on his day but boy he's struggling
Dyson gone
Stanton getting worse
Laycock rubbish and gone
Nat Rat ok
Slattery fluctuates between ok and terrible

There's a great big void (in talent) between our senior players and the kids who are 21 or less apart from Watson who's still only 25. It will take another three years at least before those kids develop to the point where we can compete with the top four on a regular basis. They are just the facts. Our list aint as good as we (and especially Knights) thought.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Ossie wrote:
little_ripper wrote:I also think Sydney's senior players are in general are lot better than ours.(save for probably Watson, Hille and Fletcher)

Our senior players are fine (Fletcher, Hille, McVeigh is still a decent player despite the bagging he gets here) but from there down to our kids there's not much.
Watson very good
Winderlich not bad
Monfries ok
Welsh ok on his day but boy he's struggling
Dyson gone
Stanton getting worse
Laycock rubbish and gone
Nat Rat ok
Slattery fluctuates between ok and terrible

There's a great big void (in talent) between our senior players and the kids who are 21 or less apart from Watson who's still only 25. It will take another three years at least before those kids develop to the point where we can compete with the top four on a regular basis. They are just the facts. Our list aint as good as we (and especially Knights) thought.

yar when i was saying 'senior' players i was refering to guys who have 50 games up. which includes everyone you mentioned.(cept laycock i think....)
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Rossoneri wrote:
nomolos wrote:Fk off with this shit.

Who criticised the drafting under Knights? If anything, I think people are more critical of the developement process rather than the drafting.
Well I included every year, so I guess it's aimed at me.

The reason I included the last 3 years, is that while the players drafted do look promising, they are all yet to really deliver. Zaka, Hurley, Pears, Hooker, Melksham while all looking to be very good are yet to deliver anything more than promise. The jury is still out, and anyone who thinks we didnt f*** up not taking Rioli in front of Myers is in denial. However, I agree that as a group, this is the most promising group of youngsters we have had for about 10 years.