Farewell Knighta - It Just Wasnt Meant to Be

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Farewell Knighta - It Just Wasnt Meant to Be

Post by Windy_Hill »

I firmly believe this weekend's game will be the last time MK takes the reins at Essendon. The poor bastard has copped unbelievable pressure almost from day one and in the main has remained dignified throughout.

Its a bitch coaching a football club - the definition of being caught between a rock and a hard place.

The Knights era may not have been successful from a win/loss perspective but in the word of a former Treasurer, "it was the recession we had to have"

No need to go over the history again, we have well and truly exhausted the discussions on the Sheedy legacy and the mess that the club has become. A lot of this cannot be blamed on Knights. But, he will, rightly or wrongly, take the rap for the last three years.

In reality, the team has been shite for a while and the fact that we are forced to play one of the youngest 22's in the history of the club kind of exemplifies the problems Knights has had.

However, the Knights era also has some similiarities to the Bill Stephen's era. Stephens took on coaching an incredibly young and inexperienced Essendon side in the late 70's. But during his time, he blooded many future stars. A certain K Sheedy was the benficiary of Stephen's sacrifice.

I hope that Knights will also, in time, be remembered for bringing some genuinely promising young players to the club and giving them all a chance to play AFL footy.

Who knows, maybe history will repeat itself and the next coach will enjoy the fruits of Knighta's labours, just as Sheedy did 30 years ago.

Good luck Knighta - thanks for your efforts
F111
Essendon Legend

Re: Farewell Knighta - It Just Wasnt Meant to Be

Post by F111 »

So then...Choco and Richo d'ya think?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Wth a little James Hird thrown in for good measure?
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Yep. Has had pathetic treatment by so called Essendon supporters. I hope he sticks around just so they can all go burn their memberships and piss off for good...

:evil:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I don't he deserves much credit for playing young players:
1. All shit clubs do it these days.
2. With the resources put into talent identification, it shouldn't be as hard to pick out the good players.
3. He still played guys like Welsh, Slattery and McVeigh when they were playing shitfully.
4. Some young guys are in and out of the team. Give them several weeks or months even to show what they've got, they can't all be superstars over night.
5. No Cyril.

And if you care, I was not a Knights basher from day 1. I saw flaws in his game plan early on, but was prepared to let him work on it. He did not.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

I'd bet my left nut Windy that Knighta is in the coaching box come round 1.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

boncer34 wrote:I'd bet my left nut Windy that Knighta is in the coaching box come round 1.
Pickle it, pop it in a jar and FedEx it to me Bonce

He is gawn!
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Not so sure he is gawn.

Our Board has long had a reputation for being conservative. My gut feeling is they are too conservative to dump Knights.

Rumour over on BB says that Knights will be reappointed but with some new assistants, perhaps some restrictions on his input at the selection table, a review of the game plan including input from players, etc.

Sounds like a wishy washy "yes,but" type decision. But I reckon it could well be true, unfortunately.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

The MMM boys reckon that if he isnt sacked tomorrow or Tues then he will def be the coach next season.....

I have a feeling he will stay as well, with some much needed experienced assistants to help him.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

im sorry but if the coach needs to be restricted at the selection table and for his game plan to be reviewed and changed with input from the players themselves SURELY he needs to be told to pack his bags???

if he isn't sacked, im going to be extremely angry at our piss weak board! far out how shit does a coach have to be to get the arse from Essendon!!! we deserve the best dammit!!!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I agree Jazz 100% it would be a really gutless "yes,but" type decision.

But I am really afraid that this is precisely what will happen.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

boncer34 wrote:I'd bet my left nut Windy that Knighta is in the coaching box come round 1.
Don't take any crap of those youngins that have a go at you for walking funny Boncer.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

billyduckworth wrote:

Rumour over on BB says that Knights will be reappointed but with some new assistants, perhaps some restrictions on his input at the selection table, a review of the game plan including input from players, etc.

haha, don't believe everything said over there, actually don't believe much of it at all!!!
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Great post Windy.

Been an... interesting few years, but we had to take a punt on someone and sometimes it's a good fit, sometimes it isn't.

I wish Knighta luck and fortune in whatever it is he puts his hand to in the future. It just didn't work out at the EFC. C'est la vie!
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Pickle it, pop it in a jar and FedEx it to me Bonce

He is gawn!
First thing I thought of when I heard the news.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.