10 years today

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

10 years today

Post by robrulz5 »

It is 10 years today since we won the 2000 Premiership. How great it was to have a team that was feared, no team looked forward to playing us that year. Another flag seems so far away at the moment, hopefully we can appoint the right coach to take us back up the ladder.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Re: 10 years today

Post by little_ripper »

So it was.

wow. 10 years. feels like yesterday. life is way too short.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

As I mentioned in another post - I remember leaning across and yelling to my mate as we celebrated the final siren, "enjoy the first of many my friend"

How wrong was I - just goes to show, you gotta grab your chances and in 1999/2001 - we didnt.

Poor list management and stagnant coaching got us in the end and today, when we are possibly at the lowest point this club has ever been, we celebrate the 10th anniversary of perhaps its greatest single achievement. You gotta love the irony.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Can't say I got too excited that day. Nothing like 93. I rolled up to the granny in 2000, and didn't have any nerves whatsoever. Quite frankly, I knew that we were going kick the $hit out of Melbourne. Still got pissed, went back to the Linc in Essendon (more drink and played 2-up). Had to get the late flight back to Sydney that night as I was working at the Olympics, barely allowed on the plane.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

And so it is. I was a cocky 9 year old who was too busy colouring in his book to take any interest when the Grand Final was on. I was so use to winning, to think 4 weeks prior I was crying cause lost the one game to the Bulldogs in Round 21. What I'd give to go back, be older and wiser and enjoy the moment. Oh well the next one will be definitely amazing!
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Probably the best day of my life. Woke up next to a hot girl in a sharehouse in Carlton, got down to the G at about 11am, had a bbq with some mates in the car park, soaked up the atmosphere, then had the joy of sitting in the MCC members while we kicked the crap out of their team of kids.
There was that beautiful period of about twenty minutes in the last quarter when you know you can't be beaten (well, it was over long before that, but you know ... ) you can just sit back, lap it up, enjoy the moment and wait for the siren.
Then Bewick and Barnard came round in front of me with the cup, and I was leaning over the second tier railing screaming my lungs out and they both pointed up at me and shouted 'yes' ! =D> Awesome.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

little_ripper wrote:So it was.

wow. 10 years. feels like yesterday. life is way too short.
September 2nd will always be special!! Can't believe it was 10 years ago though. I remember watching the GF at home and then a few weeks later enjoying the Syd Olympics.

I was 13 at the time, I wish I could have been old enough to truely enjoy it!! We were really spoilt by the calibre of players at the club back then!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gimps wrote:I rolled up to the granny in 2000, and didn't have any nerves whatsoever. Quite frankly, I knew that we were going kick the $hit out of Melbourne.
Haha...same here. I took my backpack into the ground with a minature pewter premiership cup (Essendon of 1993), knowing that I would be raising it above my head at some stage during the day. We were a juggernaut and there was nothing more certain than winning that day. At some stage during the last quarter I took it out of my bag and raised it above my head in jubilation, and then drank beer out of it until the final siren rang.
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Enjoyed the game thoroughly - even though it wasn't a contest!

Sad to note that only one person from the team (and even the playing group) is still with the club. Further sad to note that I cannot think of a single person that was with the club at the time is still with us (was Doc Reid around at the time?)

The 2009 prelim post match vision from the essendon rooms should be compulsory weekly viewing for all players under 25 with a monthly screening of the 2000 finals series.

s'dreams
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

BenDoolan wrote:
Gimps wrote:I rolled up to the granny in 2000, and didn't have any nerves whatsoever. Quite frankly, I knew that we were going kick the $hit out of Melbourne.
Haha...same here. I took my backpack into the ground with a minature pewter premiership cup (Essendon of 1993), knowing that I would be raising it above my head at some stage during the day. We were a juggernaut and there was nothing more certain than winning that day. At some stage during the last quarter I took it out of my bag and raised it above my head in jubilation, and then drank beer out of it until the final siren rang.
How about that feeling not long into the game when you knew you could not lose a Grand final My old man who saw us kick 7.27 in a GF in 1948 to draw and then ultimately lose the replay to Melbourne was still shitting himself at 3/4 time!!!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

s'dreams wrote:Sad to note that only one person from the team (and even the playing group) is still with the club. Further sad to note that I cannot think of a single person that was with the club at the time is still with us (was Doc Reid around at the time?)
Doc Reid has been around since the 80's, and McVeigh was on the list in 2000, played one game.

10 years, jeez. They are hard to come by, so you have to take what you can get, but it would have been nice to win another one.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rockhole wrote:
How about that feeling not long into the game when you knew you could not lose a Grand final My old man who saw us kick 7.27 in a GF in 1948 to draw and then ultimately lose the replay to Melbourne was still shitting himself at 3/4 time!!!!
Haha....I feel for your old man. Every Grand Final must have been a nightmare since '48. What were his thoughts on Bill Brittingham - who kicked 2.12 that day?
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I had to watch the game from home :(

One thing I really remember was the smile on Hirdy's face with about 30 seconds of the game left. I watch the replay of that game often knowing that next time we make a GF I have a guaranteed ticket. :D
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

BenDoolan wrote:
rockhole wrote:
Haha....I feel for your old man. Every Grand Final must have been a nightmare since '48. What were his thoughts on Bill Brittingham - who kicked 2.12 that day?
The Old Man said that Brittingham never played on the forward line again and developed into a really good full back who could pinpoint a pass similar to Fletch.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rockhole wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
rockhole wrote:
The Old Man said that Brittingham never played on the forward line again and developed into a really good full back who could pinpoint a pass similar to Fletch.
I did read someowhere about that fact - banished to the backline for the rest of his career. 14 shots on goal, wow, it's obvious he could get the ball....
Essendunny
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

And to think they had Coleman in there sights that year but wouldn't give him a game resulting in Richmond almost snaring him before they reluctantly saw the light.