It just occured to me.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

It just occured to me.

Post by robbie67 »

It has been 15 years since we drafted a genuine top 20 player (Lloyd and Lucas). No wonder we are awful. I have a feeling, that it's going to take Hird and co a long time to rebuild this team into a top 4 contender. I hope that the membership dont make the on-going mistake of over-rating the playing list, and he is given the chance.

15 ******* years......you have to wonder what on earth has happened to our club.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: It just occured to me.

Post by Jazz_84 »

yeah i guess your right :( given that Watson was of course a f/s, we can't pick the cream of the crop to save ourselves..... lets hope 2011 produces a few good kids
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

True. :(

However it can take a year or two to find out exactly what a player has, so maybe we've got a future top 20 player or two on the list now.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Is it too early to throw Joe Daniher's name in the ring?
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Windy_Hill wrote:Is it too early to throw Joe Daniher's name in the ring?
but once again he chose to come to us under father/son rule..... i think Robbie is talking about our ability to go out and search to obtain a top 20 player
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Jazz_84 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Is it too early to throw Joe Daniher's name in the ring?
but once again he chose to come to us under father/son rule..... i think Robbie is talking about our ability to go out and search to obtain a top 20 player
In that case the well is dry.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

Two words....

Adrian Dudoro.

We haven't had a real stand-out pick since Judkins left
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

dodgey wrote:Two words....

Adrian Dudoro.

We haven't had a real stand-out pick since Judkins left
Yes Adrian has found a few shockers over the past few years but in his defence its a little harder to find a top player when you have picks outside the top 10 (during the successful years 1999-2003).

The last few drafts have been more promising so we shall see.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Hurley and Pears are going to be top key position players. But yeah, as for midfielders, pox as. Perhaps Melksham will become a good'un......and maybe the hype surrounding Dyson Heppell will come to something. But that will take a few years like jmac said. Dunno.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I'm including father/sons in that statement. I have Jobe in the top 40, but not in the top 20. When Hille is fit and firing, he is also in the top 40. Sure we have a bunch of players who might/may/could/should become top 20 players, but right now we dont have any (though pensioner Fletch would still be on the fringe). I have been reading in here about "our next champions" for 10 years now. At some stage McVeigh, Bolton, Jacobs, McGrath, Ryder, Johns, Solly, Reynolds, Dyson, Stanton, Welsh have all been touted as our next big thing, but while a couple have become solid contributors, almost all have so far failed to live up to expectations. I guess the worst irony of all is that the one player that was universally lauded in here as a future champ, and lived up to the hype, we didnt even bother drafting. Watching Cyril run around in those foul colours makes me want to puke.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

robbie67 wrote: Watching Cyril run around in those foul colours makes me want to puke.
I hear you Robbie! The greatest drafting travesty ever overseen by the Dodo. (Selwood runnuing a close second)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

If you assume that every generation of players (say a squad drafted over a 6 year period) produces 3-4 great players and perhaps 1 champion player - then our years of drafting from 1999-2005 were reasonably shite.

Great Players drafted during that era would include only Ramanauskas, Hille, Watson (f/s pick). No Champions I am afraid

If we look at 2006-2011 one suspects that Hurley, Pears, Melksham, Colyer, Gumbleton and Zaharakis have the potential to be Great Players. Perhaps Hurley and Pears will emerge as champion players of their era?

Hype factor around Heppell and Joe Daniher suggests that we may have some quality to look forward to.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I was reading the Herald Sun yesterday, it had some shite about the footy in it, how teams are travelling etc... In the Dons section, had a part labelled 'Career at crossroads'. They had a spiel about Pears needing to step up! Ha, worst piece of shit journalism I have ever seen.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Gimps wrote:I was reading the Herald Sun yesterday, it had some shite about the footy in it, how teams are travelling etc... In the Dons section, had a part labelled 'Career at crossroads'. They had a spiel about Pears needing to step up! Ha, worst piece of shit journalism I have ever seen.
They also said he would be in danger of losing his spot on the list if he didn't have a good year! :lol:
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

robrulz5 wrote:
Gimps wrote:I was reading the Herald Sun yesterday, it had some shite about the footy in it, how teams are travelling etc... In the Dons section, had a part labelled 'Career at crossroads'. They had a spiel about Pears needing to step up! Ha, worst piece of shit journalism I have ever seen.
They also said he would be in danger of losing his spot on the list if he didn't have a good year! :lol:
Did Filthy get a job at the Herald Sun?? :wink:
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

There are certain hacks posing as journos who I completely ignore.

This is a fast growing list!!!

I am greatly anticipating the usual explosive headlines this season:

"AFL PLAYER CAUGHT IN BED WITH HIS WIFE"

"AFL PLAYER PICTURED URINATING IN PUBLIC TOILET"

"AFL PLAYER EXPOSED SHOWING PICTURES OF HIS CHILDREN"

"...... COACH UNLIKEY TO SEE OUT SEASON"
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Sorry....Melksham aint gonna make it - too skinny.
Tell me the last person as underdeveloped as he is, that "made it" as a "champion"?
Robbie Flower? The game has changed people.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote:Sorry....Melksham aint gonna make it - too skinny.
Tell me the last person as underdeveloped as he is, that "made it" as a "champion"?
You trying to tell me that a 19 year old cannot physically or skilfully improve in the next 5 years so that he can hit his straps / peak between the age of 24-28?

Big call considering that he played considerably well in his first season and showed signs (naturtal ones) where he knew where to find the ball and was actually constructive with it. Also showed strong signs of composure and tenacity - which you can't teach.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:
nudder12 wrote:Sorry....Melksham aint gonna make it - too skinny.
You trying to tell me that a 19 year old cannot physically or skilfully improve in the next 5 years so that he can hit his straps / peak between the age of 24-28?

Big call considering that he played considerably well in his first season and showed signs (naturtal ones) where he knew where to find the ball and was actually constructive with it. Also showed strong signs of composure and tenacity - which you can't teach.
Agree, I think there are plenty of signs to say that this kid can make it. To be honest, I tend to look at this way - he managed 14 pretty effective games in his first season weighing only 75KG. So I am sure with time his body will mature and he should reach about 80-82KG -Which by the way was around the playing wieght of Mark Mercuri at his peak - imagine what he will be capable of then.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Caracella??
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark