Winning ANZAC Day 2011

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
brad
Top Up Player

Winning ANZAC Day 2011

Post by brad »

If Essendon were to beat Collingwood in the ANZAC Day game of 2011 how would it rate in comparison to our 2009 epic?

With Collingwood being the reigning Premiers and us coming off 14th position it would be pretty big not to mention having Hirdy in the coaches box.

I think no matter what the standard of the game is (and let's not forget aside from the last 5mins 2009 was nothing special) a win in 2011 would eclipse 2009.

Thoughts?
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Winning ANZAC Day 2011

Post by j-mac31 »

brad wrote:Thoughts?
We will be mercilessly whooped.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I'm looking forward to the day but not the game. I have no confidence in our side at all until they show us that we are going somewhere. We should give a couple of kids a debut.
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

I'm not asking if we can win I'm asking if we WERE to win would it rate as big as a win as our 09 ANZAC Day triumph.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Depends how the game unfolds. The thing with 2009 was that we were gone with only 5 minutes left and somehow came back to win.
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

I recall that happening last year against the Kangaroos too. Doesn't make it the best game. :lol:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

i am making a call - we WILL win. They are overated.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Is Hirdy still eligible to win the medal?
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Windy_Hill wrote:i am making a call - we WILL win. They are overated.
Are we forgetting that Collingwood are likely to suffer from a massive GF hangover ? They had to play in 2 so I wouldnt be surprised to see them drop right off.

Will we win - we'll sh-t it in.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

MH_Bomber wrote:
Are we forgetting that Collingwood are likely to suffer from a massive GF hangover ? They had to play in 2 so I wouldnt be surprised to see them drop right off.

Will we win - we'll sh-t it in.
I don't think premiership hangovers are multiplied by how many GFs they had to play to win it.
And what with Malthouse being the coach and their Arizona training, I don't expect them to have a premiership hangover anyway.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Training doesnt come into it. Its the desire that determines the level of hangover. WInning last year will have fulfilled many a young maggies ambitions whether they admit it or not. Its extremely difficult to maintain that fierce desire over multiple seasons.

They will be there and there about but cant they go back to back ?
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
F-111
Top Up Player

Post by F-111 »

j-mac31 wrote:.....
And what with Malthouse being the coach and their Arizona training, I don't expect them to have a premiership hangover anyway.
Altitude training before Xmas, for how long? I wonder how much effect it has by the following April?
F111 with dash! 12223 posts just vanished!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

F-111 wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:.....
Altitude training before Xmas, for how long? I wonder how much effect it has by the following April?
Around about zero! :lol:
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

brad wrote:I'm not asking if we can win I'm asking if we WERE to win would it rate as big as a win as our 09 ANZAC Day triumph.
Hmmmm depends on the circumstances... we will be major underdogs yet again and if we steal the match away from them in the last few mins of the game it would certainly match 2009.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

My point on the training was that they've got a great culture down there of working hard. I don't expect them to have the so-called premiership hangover.
MH_Bomber wrote:Training doesnt come into it. Its the desire that determines the level of hangover. WInning last year will have fulfilled many a young maggies ambitions whether they admit it or not. Its extremely difficult to maintain that fierce desire over multiple seasons.
Says who? Some teams have shit follow up years, some don't. Maybe they have the desire to win multiple premierships, or win one for their retiring coach.

Eg. Bombers 2001 were still very good. Geelong 2007-2010.

But I think Brisbane 2001-2004 is a better guide to how Collingwood will go. They've got a hard-arse coach who won't put up with shit performances and they have a reasonably deep team.

And regardless of whether they drop off or not over the whole season, at this point in time I can't see them losing on Anzac Day. We were belted twice by them last year.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Will be hearing it on Radio this year.
'
SWOODS might be one who knows where I'll be that day.Eh,Western Red? :wink:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BUMP.
MH_Bomber wrote:Are we forgetting that Collingwood are likely to suffer from a massive GF hangover ? They had to play in 2 so I wouldnt be surprised to see them drop right off.
I am aware that my prediction that we will be smashed is probably way off AND I hate when Collingwood's going well AND I hate to gloat, but how wrong was this. Honestly, the "Premiership hangover" is a load of shit.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

j-mac31 wrote:BUMP.
MH_Bomber wrote:Are we forgetting that Collingwood are likely to suffer from a massive GF hangover ? They had to play in 2 so I wouldnt be surprised to see them drop right off.
I am aware that my prediction that we will be smashed is probably way off AND I hate when Collingwood's going well AND I hate to gloat, but how wrong was this. Honestly, the "Premiership hangover" is a load of shit.
First have a look at who they have played before having a crack at MH's comments.

Port (here) - Bottom 4 last year, probably bottom 4 this year
North - 10th/11th last year?
Carlton - fair enough
Richmond - Bottom 4 last year and probably the same this year
Essendon - Bottom 4 last year.

I reckon if we had the draw we would be 4-0 as well.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Perhaps, but they're going along very nicely. Nowhere near dropping "right off".
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

AND I stand by my initial comment that any win come Monday would eclipse the 2009 ANZAC Day win.