Melksham a GWS target

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Melksham a GWS target

Post by Jazz_84 »

according to the Herald Sun...... but in saying that I have also heard reports that Sheedy wont target any Essendon players but who knows with Sheedy

i can't see him leaving but impossible to say i guess, anyone know where he is from and who he supported as a kid?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Melksham a GWS target

Post by BenDoolan »

Yep, grew up a Fletcher torp from Windy Hill (Oak Park) and followed North Melbourne as a kid.
Essendunny
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I can see how Sheeds may target him but I also read that Sheeds told Hirdy he wouldnt take any Ess players.

At the end of the day it will lie with Melksham though, whether he can resist the money and stay with a powerhouse club...

I can't see any of our better young ones being taken though. Sheeds can have Dyson though :P
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Still got a long way to go the kid - has shown a bit bit needs to become a more dominant player this year rather than a support act
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:I can see how Sheeds may target him but I also read that Sheeds told Hirdy he wouldnt take any Ess players.

At the end of the day it will lie with Melksham though, whether he can resist the money and stay with a powerhouse club...

I can't see any of our better young ones being taken though. Sheeds can have Dyson though :P
Why the hell would you give him Heppell?

:wink: :P
Essendunny
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

BenDoolan wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:I can see how Sheeds may target him but I also read that Sheeds told Hirdy he wouldnt take any Ess players.

haha no way!! Heppell will become 3 times the player Ricky is... :P
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

We don't lose players to other clubs all that often even for more money. There have been a few over the years but it doesn't happen much.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

haha no way!! Heppell will become 3 times the player Ricky is... :P
Based on the two games I have seen him in ... Heppelli is a future AA and my tip for the rising star this year (pencil that in folks)... depending on him getting 16 games this year. We got a goodun here!
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

robrulz5 wrote:We don't lose players to other clubs all that often even for more money. There have been a few over the years but it doesn't happen much.
Do you reckon?

Blake Caracella
Damien Hardwick
Justin Blumfield
Chris Heffernan
Gavin Wanganeen
Roger Merrett
Greg Anderson
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Ossie wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:We don't lose players to other clubs all that often even for more money. There have been a few over the years but it doesn't happen much.
Do you reckon?

Blake Caracella
Damien Hardwick
Justin Blumfield
Chris Heffernan
Gavin Wanganeen
Roger Merrett
Greg Anderson
few of those were forced due to salary cap and Wanganeen i can't really remember but surely "going home" was more the attraction then money
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Ossie wrote:
Do you reckon?

Blake Caracella
Damien Hardwick
Justin Blumfield
Chris Heffernan
Gavin Wanganeen
Roger Merrett
Greg Anderson
Caracella- salary cap
Hardwick- salary cap
Blumfield- salary cap
Heffernan- salary cap
Wanganeen- home bound
Merrett- I have no idea!
Anderson- who gives a shit

Not many players have ever been attracted to other clubs because they didn't like it here.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Merv Neagle.
robrulz5 wrote:Not many players have ever been attracted to other clubs because they didn't like it here.
Going to GWS isn't about not liking it at your current club, it's about money. Ablett liked it at Geelong until GC came along.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

robrulz5 wrote:
Ossie wrote:
Do you reckon?

Blake Caracella
Damien Hardwick
Justin Blumfield
Chris Heffernan
Gavin Wanganeen
Roger Merrett
Greg Anderson
Merrett- I have no idea!

Sadly, Roger was kind of sacrificed - had a bad elbow injury that had meant his previous 2 seasons were pretty average. I think Sheedy pushed him to be honest.

As for Anderson, you obviously never saw him play - he was fantastic for us and it was a huge loss when he returned to Adelaide
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

robrulz5 wrote:
Ossie wrote:
Do you reckon?

Blake Caracella
Damien Hardwick
Justin Blumfield
Chris Heffernan
Gavin Wanganeen
Roger Merrett
Greg Anderson
Caracella- salary cap
Hardwick- salary cap
Blumfield- salary cap
Heffernan- salary cap
Wanganeen- home bound
Merrett- I have no idea!

Not many players have ever been attracted to other clubs because they didn't like it here.
What you said though was that 'we don't lose players to other clubs all that often' which, no matter what the reason, isn't quite correct.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

by Ossie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:07 pm

robrulz5 wrote:
We don't lose players to other clubs all that often even for more money. There have been a few over the years but it doesn't happen much.

Do you reckon?

Blake Caracella
Damien Hardwick
Justin Blumfield
Chris Heffernan
Gavin Wanganeen
Roger Merrett
Greg AndersonYou couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Ossie
Club Captain

Location: Melbourne, or sometimes clubbing with Michael Hurley

What about Graham Moss and Bob Shearman....or am I going a bit too far back in time for most of you Pups out there :D
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

pevfan wrote:Re: Melksham a GWS target
by Ossie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:07 pm

robrulz5 wrote:

Do you reckon?

Blake Caracella
Damien Hardwick
Justin Blumfield
Chris Heffernan
Gavin Wanganeen
Roger Merrett
Greg AndersonYou couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Ossie
Club Captain

Location: Melbourne, or sometimes clubbing with Michael Hurley

What about Graham Moss and Bob Shearman....or am I going a bit too far back in time for most of you Pups out there :D
Moss left to return to WA...I'm not one of the pups but who was Shearman?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

BOB SHEARMAN

Recall him as a superb kick and a top player. FFFing long time ago. Maybe a little to ancient for this discussion.

from the website............

Bob Shearman was one of the youngest players to ever play League football when he debuted at the age of 16.

He joined the U19s in 1956 from Aberfeldie where he had played from the age of twelve. He won the Best and Fairest award in the Essendon District Football League U17s in 1955.

Shearman was a fine half-forward and then proved to be even better in defence where he became a strong half-back flanker. He could fly high for marks, was quick on the ground and was a magnificent long drop kick. There have been few better exponents of this kick.

Shearman played on the half-back flank in the losing 1957 Grand Final and in the back pocket in the losing 1959 Grand Final.

He won the most improved player award in 1957, the most consistent player award in 1958, and the best player under 21 award in 1959.

Shearman stood out of football for the first 10 games in 1960 trying to negotiate a clearance to South Australia, but then saw out the rest of the year before getting his way. He left Essendon when he was still only 21 years old, with the potential to be a champion.

He transferred to West Torrens in South Australia and played there from 1961 to 1964, the last three seasons as captain. He moved to Sturt in 1966 and played there until 1972. He was captain of that club from 1969 to 1972 and played in five consecutive premierships with Sturt from 1966 to 1970.

Shearman was a South Australian Carnival representative in 1961 and won an All-Australian blazer in that year. He represented the State from 1961 to 1964 and was South Australian captain from 1962 to 1964. He also won the Simpson Medal in 1964.

He later had stints as assistant coach at Sturt in 1979, Woodville in 1980 and 1981 and South Adelaide in 1986.

Bob Shearman died while on holiday in Corsica, on 27th June, 1999, aged 59 years.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Yes...Bob Shearman. My eyes still glaze over when I think of him...could have been absolutely anything. Gone from the club way too soon at 21 and then of course, far,far too soon at just 59. You could knocked me over with a feather when I first read of his death just a few years ago....What a player...and those drop kicks of his...sadly, just like the man himself...gone forever....Still not inappropriate to say...Vale Bobby Shearman
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Thanks for that Rocky...he was a few years before my time.

And he came from Aberfeldie :-&
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012