Kicking on the wrong foot

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
danstar84
Club Captain

Kicking on the wrong foot

Post by danstar84 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:27 am

I think this area really needs to be addressed over the pre-season. A few of the guys last night attempted to do this, and absolutely shanked it. One by Jobe and another by Cole spring to mind.

Do have to say though, that Stants seems to be pretty good on his opposite foot. Made a lovely pass last night on it, and have also noticed it at other times throughout the year.

Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:30 am

Dyson also....

I agree though Dan, definetely something we have to work on in the off season. Cole had one attempt i remember which wasnt good at all.

Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:15 am

Very true dan.

There are heaps that struggle on both sides, and that level you should be able to be quite accurate with both feet.

The Jobe one, that wasnt the one where he slipped over as he kicked it was it? That wasn't really his fault, just slipped, and the ball dribbled along the ground.

j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:20 pm

Lucas has proven that you can be a one sided player and still be good.

The thing is, players need to know what they can and can't do. If they can't kick off their wrong foot, they shouldn't try.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:22 pm

Just on dyson he is also very one sided with his handballs. Tried to do an inside out what last night. :P

Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:22 pm

Stanton seems to have improved his skills by foot out of site. One kick-in last night pinpointed MJ outside the 50 near the boundary with a couple bearing down on him. Precision pass over about 50. Good thoughts.

Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:43 pm

Ha ha, Lucas is the master of only having one side to his body.

I think the problem is that once everyone else works it out, they play on it - anyone playing on Lucas is acutely aware that you can really limit Lucas' impact on the game by playing up his inability to kick off both feet. Or handball with either hand. Or handball at all... :wink:
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.

swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:03 pm

j-mac wrote:Lucas has proven that you can be a one sided player and still be good.

The thing is, players need to know what they can and can't do. If they can't kick off their wrong foot, they shouldn't try.
Have to disagree on this one j-mac

ALL AFL players should be able to kick accurately with both feet. They spend a heap of time training and get paid (compared to the average person) a shitload of money and should be dedicated enough to work on their deficiencies.

I've always thought it strange that left footers (who are usually very skillful) struggle to kick with their right foot.

Practice makes perfect so the more they practice the better they should get.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012

Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:24 pm

Megan wrote:Ha ha, Lucas is the master of only having one side to his body.

I think the problem is that once everyone else works it out, they play on it - anyone playing on Lucas is acutely aware that you can really limit Lucas' impact on the game by playing up his inability to kick off both feet. Or handball with either hand. Or handball at all... :wink:
So true about the handballs, but i noticed towards the end of the year he was begenning to handball it a little bit more often. Still went for the over the head goal last night. :P

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:38 pm

If anyones watching the replay, have a look at Stanton's bouncing style. I've noticed he alternates sides, but that his left sided bounce is quite weak and it slows him a tad.
Whilst it's good to see poorer skills used in an attempt to improve them, I hope it doesn't end up in a turnover.
I haven't yet noticed any, and I guess I won't for 7 months either :D

Dyson needs a right side as much as Lucas does. It would be better, but given last nights game I'd rather he just kicked it straight left footed.

nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:23 am

Watto's grounded foot actually slipped on the turf before he kicked, in defence of that poor attempt, least he was giving it a go.

robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:09 pm

I'm not going to be critical of Hird and Lucas, but both of them have no opposite foot. I think for that reason, some of our players dont place as much importance on it as they should.

Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:01 pm

Hush Robbie. Hirdy has no failings. He's just perfect on one and not so perfect (yet still better than everyone else) on the other :lol:
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.

bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:24 pm

Just while we're on this topic - last night i thought it appropriate to watch an old video of us in better times, i was searching for the 2000 premiership video at home, couldn't find it and had to settle for the prelim against Carlton.

I was staggered to watch during the 2nd quarter Scott Lucas recieve the ball on his right side about 50 metres out - and yes you wouldn't believe it - he kicked a drop punt on his right which absolutely sailed through halfway up - for a point.

I couldn't believe it - the guy can kick on his opposite - he just chooses not to!!

Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:25 pm

Well thats interesting bueller, i only remember him kicking once on his right, and a bloke called Gary Moorcroft took mark of the year :P