The More Things Change....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

The More Things Change....

Post by BenDoolan »

.....the more they stay the same.

We've had 3 different senior coaches the last 5 years. 3 completely different regimes. The list has changed significantly in that time as well. Game plans have changed. Fitness staff has also changed. Chairman and board members too.

What hasn't changed is the same injured batch of brittle bodies keep on getting injured. Chronically. Broken bones, snapped tendons, OP, f*** me, you name it.

And what else hasn't f****** changed is the weak mental application of our players. They have made throwing in the towel an art form. Not willing to sacrifice, not willing to commit, or not willing to work hard no matter what the circumstances.

If I had anything to do at the club at this very minute, I would go into the lockeroom of 90% of this list and clear out their lockers and throw their shit on Napier St. I would give each one of them a Barbie Doll and tell them to go and play with it because they would be far more adept at playing with that than a football.

Stop mollycoddling this mob. Start pointing the finger at individuals and lambast them in the media if needs be. The softly approach has created a bunch of soft cocks. If they can't stand the criticism of HOME TRUTHS, then we don't want them on the list anyway.

You need a fair bit of mental toughness to play this game and win premierships.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: The More Things Change....

Post by Windy_Hill »

and bring back Rudi Webster or Jon Edwards or any mothafucka that can get between their ears and clean out the cotton wool
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

but we as a club are too nice to do this, so wont happen
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

dead right bd.

we need to be fitter, stronger, mentally tougher, c*** ier.

dare i say - we need to be Collingwood.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

tonysoprano wrote:dead right bd.

we need to be fitter, stronger, mentally tougher, c*** ier.

dare i say - we need to be Collingwood.

If we are going to spend any more money, lets spend it getting Collingwood's recruitment team. How the f*** have they been able to unearth so much talent whereas our drafting has been a like mid-week lotto for 10 years now.

Our first draft picks in 10 years have deliverd nothing other than injury prone soft cocks

Perhaps Hurley can be an exception and certainly Heppell is.

We have to be more brutal in culling the list to secure players who can match the gameplan. The sensitivity our club has in letting go of players when they are actually worth someting has been a huge problem. Time to bite the bullet. Send Hille to GWS and grab a second round pick - he is good for 2 more years and exactly the body type they will need. Send Ryder back to WA and grab a first rounder from either WC (who would love to have him run with Nic Nat) or Freo. Do we really need Hooker? I reckon Port or Adelaide would be desparate for a tall defender (we have dozens of them so pass him on for a pacey mid-fielder). Myers, Davey, Dyson, Slaterry - here you go GWS have all four for one of your first round draft picks. We just have to be bold and let go. Monfries will deliver us a second rounder from Adelaide. We simply have to recruit talented players with proven speed, endurance and disposal skills. The we can start hitting guys like Gumbleton and HUrley on the tits with lace up passes straight out of the square.
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

Windy_Hill wrote: If we are going to spend any more money, lets spend it getting Collingwood's recruitment team.
We got Alan Richardson, I'm still not exactly sure what he did. What Collingwood have done really well is develop players...something we have been extremely poor at handling
BenDoolan wrote:.....the more they stay the same.
Fitness staff has also changed.
This point is a good one - yet some of us continue to lament that our fitness is poor compared to other clubs. Perhaps fitness isn't the problem afterall...mental fragility, poor and selfish playing list might be reasons for the shit decade we have had.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

The development of players and fitness.. hmm.. they'll blame it on Windy Hill being a dump.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

This year doesnt seem to be any better than last year.... did we actually lose 5 in a row last year under Knighta??? And lose to sides like Rich, Melb, NM.... hmmm dont think it happened

Considering the "talent" of players we have been putting on the park the last 5 weeks have been nothing short of embarrassing.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Amen. EVeryone harden the f*** up or f*** off. And some them f*** off either way.
Windy_Hill wrote:Do we really need Hooker? I reckon Port or Adelaide would be desparate for a tall defender (we have dozens of them so pass him on for a pacey mid-fielder).
Are you sure. We have Pears, who could be great and Fletcher, who's 100 million years old. Other than Hooker, the remainder are: Carlisle - a skinny forward playing back - and Daniher - can he even get onto the park?
Last edited by j-mac31 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

j-mac31 wrote:Amen. EVeryone harden the f*** up or f*** off. And some them f*** off either way.
Windy_Hill wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:Do we really need Hooker? I reckon Port or Adelaide would be desparate for a tall defender (we have dozens of them so pass him on for a pacey mid-fielder).
Are you sure. We have Pears, who could be great and Fletcher, who's 100 million years old. Other than Hooker, the remainder are: Carlisle - a skinny forward playing back - and Daniher - can he even get onto the park?
hey I didn't write that?! :wink:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

My bad. Fixed now. :oops:
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Gimps wrote:The development of players and fitness.. hmm.. they'll blame it on Windy Hill being a dump.
Surely can't be fitness as we have been doing well in final quarters.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

robrulz5 wrote:
Gimps wrote:The development of players and fitness.. hmm.. they'll blame it on Windy Hill being a dump.
Surely can't be fitness as we have been doing well in final quarters.
cause we don't do shit in the 1st :evil:

id rather a 4th qtr fade out then no passion in the 1st
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Some of our players showed some real grit fighting it out for the last 2 quarters when we had no crack at winning.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Sismis wrote:Some of our players showed some real grit fighting it out for the last 2 quarters when we had no crack at winning.
If you showed up to work and did f*** all for the week up to Wednesday afternoon and then busted your arse to catch up (which we never did anyway...) by Friday night do you reckon your boss would pat you on the back and congratulate you?
Don't give these soft players anything...they stank it up when it was on the line.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

BomberinJapan wrote:If you showed up to work and did f*** all for the week up to Wednesday afternoon and then busted your arse to catch up (which we never did anyway...) by Friday night do you reckon your boss would pat you on the back and congratulate you?
=D>
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

alternative analogy, you'd been smacked around for half a game, were 10 goals down, and still had crack for some pride.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:alternative analogy, you'd been smacked around for half a game, were 10 goals down, and still had crack for some pride.
I don't see where you're going with this at all.

So, still using BIJ's example of a workplace, you would be satisfied if you plonked yourself at your workstation (or whatever else) and daydreamed for three days, then suddenly woke up from your slumber and tried to catch up on the mountain of work that has just piled up but only managed to finish half a report that was due in on Friday?

LOL. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't restore any pride I had in myself if that were the case.

Nup, these guys (our players) have what is called "presenteeism". That is, they turn up to work, but they aint really 'there'. But they're quick to put their hand out and accept their pay cheque....
Essendunny
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BomberinJapan wrote:
Sismis wrote:Some of our players showed some real grit fighting it out for the last 2 quarters when we had no crack at winning.
If you showed up to work and did f*** all for the week up to Wednesday afternoon and then busted your arse to catch up (which we never did anyway...) by Friday night do you reckon your boss would pat you on the back and congratulate you?
Don't give these soft players anything...they stank it up when it was on the line.
Dunno, Sismis is extremely easy to please.

If he were boss he'd give every employee a gold star, a bag of lollies and a big hug just for showing up every day.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

BomberinJapan wrote:
Good point BIJ.

Still at my work there are some who do even less - and they're the bosses!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.