Hird on SEN next up

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Hird on SEN next up

Post by Jazz_84 »

ill type as much as i can

more generic dribble im guessing though
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Re: Hird on SEN next up

Post by Bomber_Fan »

Let's hope they ask some tough questions...would be great if some Essendon supporters could ring up and ask some non-PC questions.

And yes James, I am disappointed.
A "long term journey"...oh dear is this another way of saying a "Terry Wallace five year plan", please don't let it be so.
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

"Use the ball properly" - that's an unsustainable game plan if I ever heard one with our untalented playing list. Well at least, Hird is laying some blame at the feet of the coaches for this loss.
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

Paddy Ryder is a certainty to play next week if I read between the lines correctly.

On Welsh and McVeigh - "they are part of the future" - they're not going nowhere! ie they will be going around again next year.

Interview a bit too jovial for my liking. Answers were pretty vague to some of the questions. Lloyd claims there was some friction between Cormack and Hird but I didn't feel that there was anything in it when Hird answered a question about this alleged issue. And f*** you Brererton for calling us 'soft' '.

Mark Robinson - don't tell the supporters that the season is a "catastrophe and calamity" - you should have told Hird that!
Last edited by Bomber_Fan on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Bomber_Fan wrote:Paddy Ryder is a certainty to play next week if I read between the lines correctly.
I wouldnt mind that against the Cats, give Paddy the challenge of going up against Ottens with TB in support.... Hille needs to have a go at Bendigo.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

lowest point? yeah performance wasn't great but not the lowest point but trying to get better

questions from supporters? Hird says to be dissapointed, Essendon should have been better but be patient we're trying to develop players and the time should come, we didn't coach them as good as we possibly can, let their spare man cut us open

Hird wants the supporters to know that he is there to answer the questions and take responsibility

former players questioning your performance? our jobs is to develop players and not worry about outside criticism

2nd quarter, players insipid? apparantly totally off the mark

Hurting last year seeing this team and hurting just as much now? he's trying to take emotion out of it as it gives you the wrong answers, trying to coach given the cold facts

what did they not do but wanted them to do? use the ball properly, and more competitive with harder running, wont give structure's away

why they had a number behind the play and we had a player behind but Hawks still found spare numbers and not phased with our extra number number behind the ball: totally right Dermie can't explain it we worked hard with the ball and not enough without the ball

picked the team apart: hawks elite foot skills killed us and we couldn't handle it

Player assesment: no wholesale changes at end of year, list has talent just need more time to develop, 4 guys in the 2012 draft to come in also got what you've got to a certain extent

Timeline: 2-3-4 years it will take time, last night wasn't good

Ryder: lot of talent, good games few shots at goal in North game, very good young person and continue to make him a player! thinks he'll play this week, need him in our team for the future

don't give a stuff about outside world? dead right Dermie, we care what the supporters and members think and the people internally, that's it!

aggressive in trade? Hird hesitant but says we have to give up something to get something and doesn't believe it works all the time

Cormack gone? other opportunities, not about different direction from the coaching staff..... Hirdy did not like that question at all Lloydy thinks it's difference in opinion

criticism of senior players, Welsh and McVeigh? Stand as quality people within the club that have been part of our club for a long time... didn't have the greatest game but will back up and are part of our future...... :roll: players know when they are finished so those conversations are easier then some think

Injuries from last night: Jobe miss 3 weeks, Myers 3 weeks, Lonergan Grade 3 medial ligament - season
Kakadu Kangaroos
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

Jazz_84 wrote:lowest point? yeah performance wasn't great but not the lowest point but trying to get better

questions from supporters? Hird says to be dissapointed, Essendon should have been better but be patient we're trying to develop players and the time should come, we didn't coach them as good as we possibly can, let their spare man cut us open

Hird wants the supporters to know that he is there to answer the questions and take responsibility

former players questioning your performance? our jobs is to develop players and not worry about outside criticism

2nd quarter, players insipid? apparantly totally off the mark

Hurting last year seeing this team and hurting just as much now? he's trying to take emotion out of it as it gives you the wrong answers, trying to coach given the cold facts

what did they not do but wanted them to do? use the ball properly, and more competitive with harder running, wont give structure's away

why they had a number behind the play and we had a player behind but Hawks still found spare numbers and not phased with our extra number number behind the ball: totally right Dermie can't explain it we worked hard with the ball and not enough without the ball

picked the team apart: hawks elite foot skills killed us and we couldn't handle it

Player assesment: no wholesale changes at end of year, list has talent just need more time to develop, 4 guys in the 2012 draft to come in also got what you've got to a certain extent

Timeline: 2-3-4 years it will take time, last night wasn't good

Ryder: lot of talent, good games few shots at goal in North game, very good young person and continue to make him a player! thinks he'll play this week, need him in our team for the future

don't give a stuff about outside world? dead right Dermie, we care what the supporters and members think and the people internally, that's it!

aggressive in trade? Hird hesitant but says we have to give up something to get something and doesn't believe it works all the time

Cormack gone? other opportunities, not about different direction from the coaching staff..... Hirdy did not like that question at all Lloydy thinks it's difference in opinion

criticism of senior players, Welsh and McVeigh? Stand as quality people within the club that have been part of our club for a long time... didn't have the greatest game but will back up and are part of our future...... :roll: players know when they are finished so those conversations are easier then some think

Injuries from last night: Jobe miss 3 weeks, Myers 3 weeks, Lonergan Grade 3 medial ligament - season
Yep this is about the gist of it and good summary. But I didn't think Hirdy minded the question about Cormack. I'm surprised we have a different opinion about this TBH.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

maybe your right but he passed the question back to Lloyd to try and get someone on his side, probably genuine so ill give you that one
Kakadu Kangaroos
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

I know Hird can't really announce a clear out at years end or anything but just hearing him speak about these players are the future truth or not still makes me worried
Kakadu Kangaroos
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Jazz_84 wrote:Player assesment: no wholesale changes at end of year, list has talent just need more time to develop, 4 guys in the 2012 draft to come in also got what you've got to a certain extent

My only hope is that we're not slashing the shit out of the list purely because of the GWS factor making it a compromised draft. The strategy has to be to clean out 5 or so at the end of this year (e.g. Dyson, Welsh, Prismall, NLM, Fletcher retires), put whatever shit survives on a 1 year deal, and then slash all the shit that expires in 2012 (Williams, McVeigh, Slattery, Monfries, Davey, Myers, Hille might retire, plus 3-4 younger players who haven't cut it by that stage, e.g. Gumbleton, Reimers, Colyer etc).
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Jazz_84 wrote:I know Hird can't really announce a clear out at years end or anything but just hearing him speak about these players are the future truth or not still makes me worried

Jazz you are right, he cant say anything and I am sure he is keeping it upbeat for the players concerned. That doesnt mean at the end of the year he wont sit down with Spike, Welshy and co and say guys, i dont have a role for you.

Hird will find out pretty soon that this is not a pretty job and changes wll have to made. All for the continued development of the players but if you are over 25, there is no more room for development, you are what you are.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Very interested in what he did(n't) say about McVeigh and Welsh.

My summary:
Fundamentally a player knows when they have played bad - football has a habit of exposing players and telling them they're time is up. These two are quality people and have been the backbone of the club for the past decade and he will not publicly criticise them. The conversations he has with them will be honest and this won't be a problem.

As for the rest of the interview - he's not concerned about win loss from here on in. BUT he is concerned that Essendon supporters and members are hurting. Ryder will continue to be played.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Welsh part of the future?

:)

:D

:lol:

:?

:|

:(

Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

hop wrote: As for the rest of the interview - he's not concerned about win loss from here on in. BUT he is concerned that Essendon supporters and members are hurting. Ryder will continue to be played.
i wish he would come out and say this to the members, the players/coaches and fans all need to be on the same page
Kakadu Kangaroos
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Jazz_84 wrote:
hop wrote: As for the rest of the interview - he's not concerned about win loss from here on in. BUT he is concerned that Essendon supporters and members are hurting. Ryder will continue to be played.
i wish he would come out and say this to the members, the players/coaches and fans all need to be on the same page
we obviously haven't been concerned about winning games for 5 years.

we are in bigger trouble than I can express. the ONLY thing that matters at elite sport is WINNING games. how the f*** can we have such a blaise attitude to the game and expect anything else but the total shit we have delivered the last half decade;.

f*** off jim - "unconcerned about win /loss". why the f*** are you a coach?
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

From my point of view, I can see that they are trying to develop players, get our player used to the structures that they want them to play.

But, the thing that pisses me off is the ****** softly softly approach. If the players aren't doing the right thing, ability aside, they need a good ****** kick up the arse. I don't care what anyone says, when you get a blasting from a coach, you pull your finger out. They're not primary school kids, ****** give it to them!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i remember playing up in brissy and whenever we were playing insipid footy the whiteboard wouldn't even make it onto the ground, the players from the other team knew exactly what the coach told us and they were 100m away

don't see this much these days
Kakadu Kangaroos
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Jazz_84 wrote:i remember playing up in brissy and whenever we were playing insipid footy the whiteboard wouldn't even make it onto the ground, the players from the other team knew exactly what the coach told us and they were 100m away

don't see this much these days
It's bloody needed. I had a coach 2 years ago that was a softcock and couldn't get a team up to save himself. There were times where I would jump in and give it to the team hardcore, what do ya know, them team would fire up.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:Player assesment: no wholesale changes at end of year, list has talent just need more time to develop, 4 guys in the 2012 draft to come in also got what you've got to a certain extent

My only hope is that we're not slashing the shit out of the list purely because of the GWS factor making it a compromised draft. The strategy has to be to clean out 5 or so at the end of this year (e.g. Dyson, Welsh, Prismall, NLM, Fletcher retires), put whatever shit survives on a 1 year deal, and then slash all the shit that expires in 2012 (Williams, McVeigh, Slattery, Monfries, Davey, Myers, Hille might retire, plus 3-4 younger players who haven't cut it by that stage, e.g. Gumbleton, Reimers, Colyer etc).
Yes and still look for any positive trades.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Bomber_Fan wrote: And f*** you Brereton for calling us 'soft' '.

Nothing wrong with him saying that, it's true.