The Worst Call You Have Ever Made on Bombertalk

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

The Worst Call You Have Ever Made on Bombertalk

Post by Windy_Hill »

In light of Robbie's Roasting of Sismis - thought it would be fun to have a little collective humble pie swallowing.

I have made some doozies over the journey - however, my personal best bad call would have to be naming Joel Reynolds as our most likely future Brownlow Medalist.

I think like most I have at times raved about Courtney Johns (The New Messiah) and I reckon I have dedicated a fair bit of time arguing that Gumbleton could be the next Carey
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Re: The Worst Call You Have Ever Made on Bombertalk

Post by Rossoneri »

Where do I begin?

- Neagle
- Johns
- Gumbleton
- Cupido (though that was attitude rather than ability)
- Walsh (Darren)
- Layock (see Cupido)
- Wanted us to pick Vickery instead of Hurley (pre-draft, changed my tune in PS)

- See Gimps sig - Though I maintain that I was furious at the time because we continued with the 3-ruckman experiment despite the fact it wasn't working (we abonded it for the north game and we played well and have played well since) and was also furious that Welsh and Salttery were still getting games ahead of Reimers and Pris (only just came into the team then)
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

- Alvey
- Haynes
- Bradley
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Actually what would be fun would be to have Adrian Dodoro join this discussion - he could keep us entertained for days
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Jay Nash
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Too many bad calls from me to choose a single mega clanger from .... Bradley or Harvey would be close ... the dude from SA who lasted one year on a 2 year contact (can't even remember his name).... possibly defending Knights when the worms were already feasting ... ahhh take your pick from most of my posts!
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

s'dreams wrote:Too many bad calls from me to choose a single mega clanger from .... Bradley or Harvey would be close ... the dude from SA who lasted one year on a 2 year contact (can't even remember his name).... possibly defending Knights when the worms were already feasting ... ahhh take your pick from most of my posts!
Paul Thomas?
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Rossoneri wrote:
s'dreams wrote:Too many bad calls from me to choose a single mega clanger from .... Bradley or Harvey would be close ... the dude from SA who lasted one year on a 2 year contact (can't even remember his name).... possibly defending Knights when the worms were already feasting ... ahhh take your pick from most of my posts!
Paul Thomas?
Yep ... 2005 delisting ... never knew the reason why (though I can suspect ... but with Cupido, Zantuck etc around at the time he wouldn't have been Robinson Caruso)
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Of all mine, I think defence of Knights and Sheedy towards the end were the worst.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Hmmm :-k

Well I've pretty much always stood up NLM (and continue to do so - come to think of it, I still don't think it's a bad call :D )
I really thought that, with just a little bit of luck, Courtney Johns was going to be the next big thing.
And I also must admit that after Courtney failed, I thought that Jay Neagle would ably replace Lloydy.
I also stood up for Sheeds towards the end of his reign & Knights for quite a considerable period of his coaching reign.

There might be a few others :oops: but I cannot recall them at this time
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I think there is a difference between standing up for someone, talking up their positives and saying that Cummings is the next Coleman etc
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:In light of Robbie's Roasting of Sismis - thought it would be fun to have a little collective humble pie swallowing.

I have made some doozies over the journey - however, my personal best bad call would have to be naming Joel Reynolds as our most likely future Brownlow Medalist.

I think like most I have at times raved about Courtney Johns (The New Messiah) and I reckon I have dedicated a fair bit of time arguing that Gumbleton could be the next Carey
Dunno about worst call, but you'd be amongst the leaders for worst thread - Windy's Gardening :wink:
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I think I may have labelled Dean Rioli as good as Darren Jarman. But my calls from before BT were far worse. I was convinced Andrew Bomford was going to be our best trade since we got the Danihers.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I thought Benny Doolan was going to be a gun (just kidding).
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

not sure if i actually stated it or not on BT but back in 2004 i said that Adam McPhee and Nick Rewoildt will progress together in ability over their careers #-o
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I have the winner of this thread, hands down.

In 1999, when Hird spent another year out injured, I remember writing that Long should permanently replace him as captain.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Trade week last year..... was confident and sort of happy Byron Schammer from the Dockers was strongly linked to us.....soooo glad that was totally wrong... my bad guys and girls!! :oops: vingertje
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

My view on Courtenay Johns....

I like him a lot. Prepared to back him as a future superstar if he is played solely as a full-forward - and has a team who can get him the ball quickly.

(...at least I had a couple of "ifs" in their to give me a loohole! :wink: :lol: )
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Well i was adamant at this point last year that, despite the speculation, neither Thompson nor Hird would join us as coaches.

On players, the ones i have liked but got spectularly wrong are Bradley, Neagle (for a short period c.2007-8, i gave up very quickly when he turned up to a preseason overweight and out of shape), Nash and Houli (both had nice kicks, just nothing else as it turns out) and i think i even liked Mark Alvey for a short while.

The best examples of players i haven't initially liked who have gone on to be good players are Heath Hocking and Jobe (although my opinion of him changed when he had that preseason a few years ago where he lost a stack of weight and become so much fitter).
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

My worst call was probably non-Essendon related. I wanted Collingwood to win the 2003 GF because I was sick of Brisbane...

I realised halfway through the 2nd quarter that it was actually a good think that they weren't going to win.