Must Get....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Must Get....

Post by BenDoolan »

.......a couple of Back Pocket terriers that will put the clamps on small forwards. Sick of seeing the likes of Eddie f****** Betts and Garlett kicking easy f****** goals. Even Bryce Squibbs got in the action today FFS.

How many times have we seen opposition small men have a day out against us? I reckon if you go through every team and pick out their small forwards, you will see their BGP is against us.

Maybe Hibberd can do the job from here on in, but we need to get another back pocket who plays with a bit of ferocity.

And lets go shopping for a midfield gun. Dustin Martin please or someone similar.
Essendunny
hop
Club Captain

Re: Must Get....

Post by hop »

No argument from me.

A game plan for the MCG too please.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

yep said today at the game that we would have loved Hibberd out there today, another is needed though for sure, i can't even remember what Dempsey is like haha
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

must get...

1. seriously hard bodies that can actually pin the arms in a tackle
2. seriously fit and quick so that we aren't left chasing arse all day.
3. seriously smarter with our ball use.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

tonysoprano wrote:must get...

1. seriously hard bodies that can actually pin the arms in a tackle
This was giving me the shits all day
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:And lets go shopping for a midfield gun. Dustin Martin please or someone similar.
But we might have to trade someone really good like Lovett-Murray to get a midfield gun.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Agree, but remember that 2 of our small defenders (Dempsey and Hibberd) were out today. If you plonk those two in there, take out Myers and McVeigh, and we start looking quite a bit better. Hibberd was going ok til he did his hammy and punched a bloke. Hardingham can be worked with, but has a lot to learn.

McVeigh should have the dignity to annul the last year of his contract. Slattery's papers have obviously been stamped, as have Dyson's.

I still think the more pressing concern is the midfield. Davey also continually disgusts me, we must replace him with someone.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

How about adding to the must get least some footballers with a decent IQ
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Why Cant Davey be re-imagined as a small defender, a la leon davis. The guy is strong for his size and can break away from defence with his pace. If he spent the whole season doing nothing but being taught defensive tactics and mindset, could he not at least offer a better solution than our current options?
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Windy_Hill wrote:Why Cant Davey be re-imagined as a small defender, a la leon davis. The guy is strong for his size and can break away from defence with his pace. If he spent the whole season doing nothing but being taught defensive tactics and mindset, could he not at least offer a better solution than our current options?
No he's not, and no he can't. Any semblance of pace he had has long disappeared. He's been nothing better than average for two years.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Long was drafted for this very reason, however we we'll probably never see what he might have done.

Hibberd owes us big.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Ossie wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Why Cant Davey be re-imagined as a small defender, a la leon davis. The guy is strong for his size and can break away from defence with his pace. If he spent the whole season doing nothing but being taught defensive tactics and mindset, could he not at least offer a better solution than our current options?
No he's not, and no he can't. Any semblance of pace he had has long disappeared. He's been nothing better than average for two years.
I agree with Doolan. Defensively he will be as bad as Slattery and would only be marginally better with the ball.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

j-mac31 wrote:
Ossie wrote:
I agree with Doolan. Defensively he will be as bad as Slattery and would only be marginally better with the ball.
You also need to be able to spoil a player in a marking contest to play in defence, Davey has no chance of doing that.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I agree with Benny, though if Dempsey could fill a backpocket roll that would help a lot. We are not going to be getting a Dustin Martin, or any ready made young mid-fielder, we are going to have to draft well again for the guy we need or look at a veteran who wants to try his luck elsewhere.

The big bodies will come, but the young mid-fielders like Melks and Hep are a couple of season away from having the hardness and the motord to be really damaging.

The liost is in much better shape than it was 12 months ago, but we have to keep making the hard decisions.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Greg Inglis
Kakadu Kangaroos
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

What does everyone think of trying to trade with GWS for Jaeger O'Meara (gun midfielder) under the 17yo thingo?

Even though he couldn't play until the year after next, he's supposed to be a potential number 1 draft pick in a strong draft. We're probably not getting anywhere near the top 5 in the next few years without trading. For me, we should try very strongly to make it happen.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

j-mac31 wrote:What does everyone think of trying to trade with GWS for Jaeger O'Meara (gun midfielder) under the 17yo thingo?

Even though he couldn't play until the year after next, he's supposed to be a potential number 1 draft pick in a strong draft. We're probably not getting anywhere near the top 5 in the next few years without trading. For me, we should try very strongly to make it happen.
Yep. Myers and Dyson.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Yeah that won't do it. In isolation, maybe they would take the deal, given that they have to trade 4 17yos. But every team will be after this kid.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Dyson, slattery, NLM, Neagle, Quinn for a 17 year old sounds fair
Kakadu Kangaroos
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Midfielders and small forwards would be much more of a priority though IMO....

Hibberd will be that smaller defender we are after, I hope the club gives Tyson Slattery another go as well as he has been very solid for Bendigo in the back half this season.

No point drafting one as they wouldn't be physically ready.... better off trading for one but can't think of any options worth chasing at the moment...