Scott Gumbleton

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
watsongun
Top Up Player

Scott Gumbleton

Post by watsongun »

Is it see you later for Scott? as you can tell from yesterday we really needed a marking forward.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Scott Gumbleton

Post by robbie67 »

Who?
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

not yet, he is contracted for 2012 and he is being paid bugger all no doubt so he'll get next year to try again but i also have no doubt that he's been warned it's 2012 or bust
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Give up on him. He's so far behind in development that it will take him at least 4 years to catch up on what he's missed out on. Plus, he would be playing in a position that takes it's toll on a physically good specimen, let alone his fragile crumbling body.
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Who?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Am open minded about the guy's prospects. There are many more I would lose before I dropped a 198cm, KPP - regardless of injuries
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

bring back Courtney Johns!
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Who?
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Hirdy says he's still in the plan. :-k
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

will have his last year on his contract to prove his body can get up to handle AFL.

expecting Hirdy will have a list of others to move on before him.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Good luck to Gumby in 2012, but I am not treating him as our saviour up forward.

I have put aside my expectations that I felt was warranted from such a high draft pick (Bradley anyone) and just hope he has a solid preseason and an injury free 2012 to compete for his spot against Hurley, Crameri, Carsile, Ryder, Hooker and maybe Steinberg (if he can kick straight) as the main tall forward options.

If he makes it great (though to do so I suspect he will have to bulk up like Walker did this year ... which may be hard given his hip nerve and spine concerns) and I will applaud loudly.

If he doesn't - I will still applaud the efforts and application of an extermely talented kid whose body couldn't make the transition into full time AFL - unfortunately he wouldn't be the first and he certainly won't be the last in the VFL/AFL to do so.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

j-mac31 wrote:Hirdy says he's still in the plan. :-k
he said that about willo too...
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

As I've commented previously, I certainly haven't seen much of the Bendigo Bombers this season...one game to be precise...the elim final. But if that's atypical of how that side performs generally then for mine, there's little wonder Gumby struggles to shine. As forward, the delivery into his half of the ground is crucial, much more so than say an on-baller who can more or less get in there, like a Sammy or Jobe and get his own ball if he's good enough. I watched him closely in that final and could see his total frustration at some of the delivery that was coming in.... it ws pathetic.

Like I said in that earlier post, Bendigo Bombers to me look little better than a fair to middling country league club. It actually looks like it should be playing in the Bendigo League rather than supposedly, the second best level of football in the land (with due apoloogies to the SANFL and WAFL) and IMO something drastic needs to be done to lift the standard of the side that directly feeds one of the (historically at least) foremost elite level clubs in the land. Or, to put it more bluntly...Bendigo Bombers are a F*****N joke and as far as being the place where up and coming young players can show their wares or, in Gumby's case, players (esp lead up forwards) struggling to find some form after a shocking run of injuries...you can forget it....Just Sooo amateurish and unprofessional Bombers.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

let him get himself right for the start of next, give him the first half of the season in VFL to show he has something and then give him a few games in the seniors to do likewise...if he breaks down or just doesn't cut it, then goodbye...
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Crazyman wrote:let him get himself right for the start of next, give him the first half of the season in VFL to show he has something and then give him a few games in the seniors to do likewise...if he breaks down or just doesn't cut it, then goodbye...
Sounds fair enough, but then isn't that exactly what we did already this year?
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

billyduckworth wrote:
Crazyman wrote:let him get himself right for the start of next, give him the first half of the season in VFL to show he has something and then give him a few games in the seniors to do likewise...if he breaks down or just doesn't cut it, then goodbye...
True, but who is he keeping off the list? The 38th best player isnt going to have as much upside as Gumby if he happens to come good. If we cant get a decent trade for him, we keep him, and give him another go.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

robbie67 wrote:
billyduckworth wrote:
True, but who is he keeping off the list? The 38th best player isnt going to have as much upside as Gumby if he happens to come good. If we cant get a decent trade for him, we keep him, and give him another go.
I would question whether we can get any trade for him given his record of injuries.

Hirdy clearly stated that you don't get rid of 198cm KPP's who have outstanding stamina and can run all day. He said that Gumby was definitely in the mix.

Having said that, next year is the last gasp!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robbie67 wrote:
billyduckworth wrote:
This. But I don't really care if he makes it anymore.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

pevfan wrote:As I've commented previously, I certainly haven't seen much of the Bendigo Bombers this season...one game to be precise...the elim final. But if that's atypical of how that side performs generally then for mine, there's little wonder Gumby struggles to shine. As forward, the delivery into his half of the ground is crucial, much more so than say an on-baller who can more or less get in there, like a Sammy or Jobe and get his own ball if he's good enough. I watched him closely in that final and could see his total frustration at some of the delivery that was coming in.... it ws pathetic.

Like I said in that earlier post, Bendigo Bombers to me look little better than a fair to middling country league club. It actually looks like it should be playing in the Bendigo League rather than supposedly, the second best level of football in the land (with due apoloogies to the SANFL and WAFL) and IMO something drastic needs to be done to lift the standard of the side that directly feeds one of the (historically at least) foremost elite level clubs in the land. Or, to put it more bluntly...Bendigo Bombers are a F*****N joke and as far as being the place where up and coming young players can show their wares or, in Gumby's case, players (esp lead up forwards) struggling to find some form after a shocking run of injuries...you can forget it....Just Sooo amateurish and unprofessional Bombers.
I don't think it was a fluke they made the finals and they were beaten by a quality side. Saying they are amateurish and a F*****N joke is a contradiction considering where they finished on the ladder. Give the team some credit. Also I think blaming his team mates for poor form is an absolute cop out. Good CHF's demand the ball and will continue to present all day no matter what the situation.

P.S. Don't give me this crap of him being just a lead up forward.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

If the rumours are right and we are interested in Adel forward Jack Gunstan I fear for Gumby's long term future.

The club has come out and said that Gumby will be a Bomber next year (obviously to honour his contract) but he is certainly on his last chance...