The world according to Sir James

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Filthy

The world according to Sir James

Post by Filthy »

Hird eyes September finale

Wednesday, 10 January 2007

Anything less than a top eight finish will be an unsatisfactory ending to the illustrious career of James Hird, the champion himself has indicated today.

Joining his teammates for the first skills session of the year, Hird was adamant the motivation for another season is to help turn around the clubs fortune and become a finals’ force once again.

"I am not playing for any other reason, I am not playing to finish 15th where we finished last year. My intention is that we will finish in the top eight and when you get there you don’t know what can happen," Hird explained at a press conference this morning.

"Last year was very disappointing, but already we have some good recruits in Mal Michael, the young kids look very good and the team that we are going to have is going to look better than last year.

"You learn from the mistakes of last year and we made some mistakes. We had some injuries and I think the way the club has approached the pre-season it looks more positive than it did last year.

"All the players who are traditionally underdone are ready to go so it will be interesting to see how those players go who have had a ‘good season’ go with a really good pre-season under their belt.

"While you see in Matty Lloyd just the determination to do something pretty special this year. He was frustrated last year in his first season as captain as you would be and I think you will see a very good year from him where he is back to a few years ago where he was kicking around 100 goals," Hird said

Returning to the club only on Monday after an extended break, Hird is confident the time away has provided him with the mental rest that will hold him in good stead for the season.

"Pre-season you always have a spring in your step," he explained.

"You always know it’s going to be hard but I think knowing it’s your last season it is something to enjoy. I suppose you want to be a little bit mindful the season is pretty long and I have got myself pretty fit now, so there is no need to go silly at the moment.

"It’s about getting the most out of my body, and enjoying the year for what it is. When you go through your last season you want to make sure you have some good memories and from the team point of view you have a better year than the last and be competitive."

And while it is early days in his pre-season, Hird is hoping he will play in the NAB Cup come February.

"I have been back two days and haven’t spoken to Sheeds, but I am planning to play a few games. You need to play some preparation games for sure; you don’t want to go into the season totally cold."
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Some serious footy news at last...bring on the season
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

If he thinks we can then i think we can

i hope its a melbourne final finale so i can attend... what the heck, ill travel to perth
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

All positive stuff but I wonder how well we will really go with a team that is in a state of flux. That is to say, most of the players either developing ot heading into the twilight of their careers.

Not too many are in their prime.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Hail to the great man. I hope he gets what he wants
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

Windy_Hill wrote:All positive stuff but I wonder how well we will really go with a team that is in a state of flux. That is to say, most of the players either developing ot heading into the twilight of their careers.

Precisely what my family saying over a few frothy's on Xmas Day 1992 Windy :wink:
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Filthy wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:All positive stuff but I wonder how well we will really go with a team that is in a state of flux. That is to say, most of the players either developing ot heading into the twilight of their careers.

Precisely what my family saying over a few frothy's on Xmas Day 1992 Windy :wink:
Love it Filth!!!!
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I say let Jim loose round 2 of the pre season cup.

The only way is up after last season!
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

A very happy new year to everyone!

I agree with Windy Hill's comments.

First of all, we can expect a couple of our older players to break down throughout the year.

Secondly, there is a massive question mark over our group of 3-4-5 year players.

Put simply, we are going to need a miraculous year with injuries and our 3-4-5 year playeres to come along in leaps and bounds. I'm not even considering getting anything, other than experience, out of our new recruits, who, upon all accounts, are an outstanding group of people.

I"m looking forward to the season as I always do, but I can't help but feel Hird is going to be disappointed with our preformance this year.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Apart from Sheedy, the one bloke he should be putting the "Acid" on is Quinn and the fitness team in general. That will be the key as always, fitness and injuries. I hope the club has addressed this extremely vexed issue because it has been that more than anything in recent years that has crueled us IMHO.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Jimmy is spot on. We dont pay our money to see shit like we saw in some games last year.

While I hate losing and make no excuses for it, there are some times where you can walk away from a game saying"ok, we lost, but I can put up with that shit becaus at least they gave it there all"

Unlike a few games last year when we were just disgraceful. We were that bad we should have changed our tops at half time so we didnt degrade the red sash.

This year will be better, but there are quite a few teams better than us at this point in time.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

What Jimmy says he does.