2012 - Last Chance Saloon for these Dudes

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

2012 - Last Chance Saloon for these Dudes

Post by Windy_Hill »

Perhaps stating the obvious with the below list but I would be interested to get everyone's opinion on what these guys have to do to be a part of our long term future

Scott Gumbleton - just simply has to play at least 12 games and show something to be considered. Problem I see is that he cant fit into the structure with Hurley at CHF
Kyle Reimers - this year has to be the year he kicks 35 goals as our key small forward (and that cant include 8 in one game!!)
Alwyn Davey - Surprised he survived the trade/delisting period - Needs to be the defensive forward specailist who can lay 5 tackles a game but also chime in with 22 goals
Leroy Jetta - showed something early in 2011 but just faded like Quinny's tan in the depths of winter - needs to become the player he certainly can be - I reckon he needs to get in the Gym and do the same boxing program that re-imagined Jobe Watson
Cale Hooker - I think he will be under pressure to retain his place if Pears can return to full fitness. I think the likes of Carlisle have gone past Cale as a tallish marking defender. A goodish player but probably excess to our needs.
David Myers a lot of talk about his battles with groin injuries - perhaps showed enough to keep his place for next year and will likely feature in our best 22 but for mine, has a lot of work to do on his game t be considered a long term part of our future
Sam Lonergan - I really like Sam and think he is a handy footballer. However, with the likes of Hocking, Howlett, Watson all providin inside contested options, I think Sam will struggle to get a game unless injuries take their toll.
Jason Winderlich - this is a tough one as he almost gets a year of grace due to coming back from injury. However, I felt he was not hitting his potential often enough before his injury and seems to be a player who really doesnt know what he wants to be - is he an outside pacey mid, or a rebounding small defender, or a defensive forward come goal sneak

Unfortunately for the following player, the stage coach has already left town - can only see them playing bit parts at best - Slattery, Dyson, Lovett-Murray
Gyoza
Club Captain

Re: 2012 - Last Chance Saloon for these Dudes

Post by Gyoza »

Any idea who from that list is out of contract at the end of next year?
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Gumbleton- I don't think he can fit into the side with both Hurley and Crameri in the forward line and with Carlisle also down there at times. If we had to choose between Gumbleton, a possible Nick Riewoldt type player or Hurley a possible Carey type player at CHF it's a pretty easy choice. Gumby will play VFL all year again.

Reimers- It's all about consistency for Kyle. He can play a variety of roles- lead up forward, crumber and can also play on the wing.If he can be consistent he is in the best 22.

Davey- What does he have to improve? Simple. Get a kick. He doesn't get enough of the ball and his defensive pressure isn't as good as it was in the past, hopefully these are things he can work on as the positions he can play are limited to a forward pocket with the occasional pinch hit in the middle.

Hooker- I think Hooker is our best option as CHB at the moment with Pears playing at FB and with Fletch playing wherever he wants. Carlisle still needs time to put on some size before being played as a key defender.

Myers- Hopefully he can get a better run in the middle in 2012 as this is his best position. It's pretty obvious playing in defence isn't for him as he gets scored on heavily and tends to make a lot of mistakes while in defensive 50. Our forwards would love to be on the end of his kicks.

Lonergan- I think some people forget how good Sam was before his knee injury in 2011. He was a very solid performer in the middle. Some people have suggested that Hocking be freed up from the tagging role, is this something Lonergan could do?

Winderlich- Probably won't play on the wing too much as he has in the past. He could be a valuable small forward.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Hooker is probably still the first pick for CHB. Carlisle is still too skinny. But Hooker certainly will need to play well to hold his spot. And don't forget his 1.06725473493556829284 contested marks per game.

Jetta, Reimers and Winderlich definitely need to improve, but will probably play plenty of games if fit; Davey is rubbish; Gumbleton who knows; Myers and Lonergan are probably amongst the 3 or 4 just outside the best 22.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Reimers played a number of games at Bendigo in the guts (and got a number of BOGs or at least Bendigo BOGs) playing in the guts, where he showed he could win clearances, burst out of congestion and hit a leading forward bang on the tit giving the defender absolutely no chance to spoil.

Why we haven't given him a shot at a similar role in the seniors is beyond me, if he can translate his Bendigo form in that role to AFL level he would be just about most even inside/outside mid.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

robrulz5 wrote:Gumbleton- I don't think he can fit into the side with both Hurley and Crameri in the forward line and with Carlisle also down there at times. If we had to choose between Gumbleton, a possible Nick Riewoldt type player or Hurley a possible Carey type player at CHF it's a pretty easy choice. Gumby will play VFL all year again.

Reimers- It's all about consistency for Kyle. He can play a variety of roles- lead up forward, crumber and can also play on the wing.If he can be consistent he is in the best 22.

Davey- What does he have to improve? Simple. Get a kick. He doesn't get enough of the ball and his defensive pressure isn't as good as it was in the past, hopefully these are things he can work on as the positions he can play are limited to a forward pocket with the occasional pinch hit in the middle.

Hooker- I think Hooker is our best option as CHB at the moment with Pears playing at FB and with Fletch playing wherever he wants. Carlisle still needs time to put on some size before being played as a key defender.

Myers- Hopefully he can get a better run in the middle in 2012 as this is his best position. It's pretty obvious playing in defence isn't for him as he gets scored on heavily and tends to make a lot of mistakes while in defensive 50. Soul, u beauty! 2 bets, 2 wins. Backed Olympic Win in the 2nd.Our forwards would love to be on the end of his kicks.

This Myers in the middle bullshit again. Best position blah blah. He's shot down back and shit in the middle.

Lonergan- I think some people forget how good Sam was before his knee injury in 2011. He was a very solid performer in the middle. Some people have suggested that Hocking be freed up from the tagging role, is this something Lonergan could do?

Winderlich- Probably won't play on the wing too much as he has in the past. He could be a valuable small forward.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BomberinJapan wrote:Any idea who from that list is out of contract at the end of next year?
http://www.bomberblitz.com/forum/index. ... opic=48861

There's likely to be anywhere from 5-7 changes to the senior list at the end of next year on my view of things. Fletcher is 99% likely to retire, Hille is more likely than not to retire, you'd delist McVeigh if he didn't have the sense to retire, and there's no point in keeping Davey. Of the fringe guys whose contracts are currently due for renewal (Dyson, NLM, Long, Lonergan, Prismall), you'd think about offering 2 years to only Lonergan and, if you being sentimental/soft, Prismall as well. Whichever of Long/Dyson/NLM gets recontracted, you'd give them 1 year deals and delist them at the end of next year if they remained permanently injured (Long) or permanently useless (NLM & Dyson).
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Gimps wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:Gumbleton- I don't think he can fit into the side with both Hurley and Crameri in the forward line and with Carlisle also down there at times. If we had to choose between Gumbleton, a possible Nick Riewoldt type player or Hurley a possible Carey type player at CHF it's a pretty easy choice. Gumby will play VFL all year again.

Myers- Hopefully he can get a better run in the middle in 2012 as this is his best position. It's pretty obvious playing in defence isn't for him as he gets scored on heavily and tends to make a lot of mistakes while in defensive 50. Soul, u beauty! 2 bets, 2 wins. Backed Olympic Win in the 2nd.Our forwards would love to be on the end of his kicks.

This Myers in the middle bullshit again. Best position blah blah. He's shot down back and shit in the middle.

Perhaps Licha as a crumbing forward and Dempsey, providing he has not lost any pace, to the wing.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Reimers has come a long way to change his attitude and the way he plays. Thought he worked very hard on his game at Bendigo and on teh training track. Yes he's been a bit inconsistent. That about covers 90% of the list.

I'm happy for him to be persisted with for a couple of reasons. He's young and willing to improve. And he plays with a lot of hardness.

Some blokes (I won't name him) have been on the list for 7 seasons and still struggles to find consistency.
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

My post didn't work properly above.. what I said was....

This Myers in the middle bullshit again. Best position blah blah. He's shit down back and shit in the middle.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Gimps wrote:My post didn't work properly above.. what I said was....

This Myers in the middle bullshit again. Best position blah blah. He's shit down back and shit in the middle.
I saw it, didn't reply because it's bullshit.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

robrulz5 wrote:
Gimps wrote:My post didn't work properly above.. what I said was....

I saw it, didn't reply because it's bullshit.
No it isn't
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Longergan - Bit harsh i think. Was definately a main player in the team before he went down with his knee injury. He is only one of a very select few who will continuously put his head over the ball time and time again. I thought this year he had improved andyYes he still has work to do, but i think is in our best 22.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Lonergan is certainly not in the last chance saloon, jeez. He had a very good season until his unfortunate knee injury.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Ossie wrote:Lonergan is certainly not in the last chance saloon, jeez. He had a very good season until his unfortunate knee injury.
I am one of his biggest fans - its more about team selection - can he be in the best 22 if you have Watson, Howlett, Hocking all providing that mid-paced, inside ball getter?
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Ossie wrote:Lonergan is certainly not in the last chance saloon, jeez. He had a very good season until his unfortunate knee injury.
I am one of his biggest fans - its more about team selection - can he be in the best 22 if you have Watson, Howlett, Hocking all providing that mid-paced, inside ball getter?
Just because he's not in the best 22 (and that's certainly debatable) it doesn't mean he's in the last chance saloon.
As Geel and Coll have shown in recent years, your top 22 don't win you a premiership, it's your top 30-32 players. Lonergan's certainly one of those.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Ossie wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
Just because he's not in the best 22 (and that's certainly debatable) it doesn't mean he's in the last chance saloon.
As Geel and Coll have shown in recent years, your top 22 don't win you a premiership, it's your top 30-32 players. Lonergan's certainly one of those.
Too true Ossie....and how may games did we have all of Watson, Hocking & Howlett in the team last season?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

I'm a fan of most of those named above - I think they try hard and are decent footballers.
But, as I look at the list, I can't help thinking that if we were a premiership contender we wouldn't even be debating the future of those blokes - none of them are premiership players.
Shows how far we have to go I reckon.
watsongun
Top Up Player

Post by watsongun »

Hooker- trade bait at the end of the year
Gumbleton- back spasm finished
Davey- finished only want him playing if we have serious injuries.
Jetta- persist with a possible another year showed some glimpises this year.