Gumby Finished???

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Gumby Finished???

Post by BERT »

The poor bloke has had another back operation. Won't be doing any pre season until at least Feb.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Re: Gumby Finished???

Post by Rossoneri »

Has had a discectomy (sp?).

I know people who have had that and it is usually a last resort. Recovery time is quite quick and it does free you up to do things you weren't able to do before. One of our family friends was in so much he struggled to get off the couch without whincing, now he has full mobility and can do all things he used to be able to do.

Wouldn't worry about it too much. How said he wont be running until Feb?
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Tim Watson on SEN is where I heard it this morning. He mentioned Feb.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BERT wrote:Tim Watson on SEN is where I heard it this morning. He mentioned Feb.
Tim Watson or SEN in general? If it is SEN in general I will punch you in the nuts.

Watson is saying Feb, Hird is saying running in 6 weeks. Both are cut from the same cloth and even though Timmy doesn't work for the club, he never releases what he knows.

Will be interesting to see what happens.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Why bother with the "???" after the 'gumby finished' statement, the bloke (a) never really got started, and (b) has looked finished with injury for the best part of 18 months. I saw him play a few VFL games this year after he had a limited pre-season over the 2010/2011 summer and he was very underwhelming, so if this operation again limits his preseason it'd be about the 50th nail in his coffin.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Rossoneri wrote:
BERT wrote:Tim Watson on SEN is where I heard it this morning. He mentioned Feb.
Tim Watson or SEN in general? If it is SEN in general I will punch you in the nuts.

Watson is saying Feb, Hird is saying running in 6 weeks. Both are cut from the same cloth and even though Timmy doesn't work for the club, he never releases what he knows.

Will be interesting to see what happens.
It was Tim Watson who said Feb. I think Gumby lives with Jobe.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Bomber Gumbleton has surgery

November 18, 2011 - 8:48AM .

Essendon key forward Scott Gumbleton has undergone surgery for ongoing back and hamstring problems but will be fit to play in season 2012, according to coach James Hird.

Talking on Radio SEN this morning, Essendon senior coach James Hird said that Gumbleton had a "slight disc problem, which we've operated on yesterday".

The surgeon, he said, was "rapt" with the operation's success and expected the forward to be "running around in about six weeks".

Advertisement: Story continues below

"He'll be ready for the start of the season next year.

"The surgeon guaranteed he would have none of the hamstring problems again next year."

The injury-plagued 23-year-old West Australian didn't manage to play a senior game this year and has played only 22 games in five seasons at the club.

Despite his ongoing difficulties, Hird said that Gumbleton was very positive about his future.

Hird refused to be drawn on speculation that the Bombers would be interested in recruiting Brendan Fevola.

"If there's one strength we've got it's key forwards. If he (Fevola) was a midfielder he might be interested but purely because of the kind of player he is, we wouldn't be interested."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... z1e0QKTlFk
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Anyway its his last year at the club unless a miracle happens. Lets move on and if he is running arounf like a teenager in Feb then great, if not - status quo
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Sounds pretty bloody positive to me. We have to give him a chance after this operation. First time anyone has said anything this positive about back surgery.

"But after he came out of surgery he's amazingly positive because of what surgeon was saying, that the reason for the continual hamstring pain he was getting throughout the 2011 season was because of this nerve being bound down by old scar tissue," Hird said on SEN.

Scar tissue on the nerve is farked, I've had that before. It's constant pain/ tightness.

If he doesn't do anything by mid year, cut him loose. But, if this surgery really does work, I think we might get some good output.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

The surgeon, he said, was "rapt" with the operation's success and expected the forward to be "running around in about six weeks".....The surgeon guaranteed he would have none of the hamstring problems again next year.
A surgeons guarantee isn't worth the disposable scalpel he does the damage with. Only time will tell.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Tweeted by Licha
Great news for @Sj_gumble after back surgery! Get behind him bomber fans! Had the same surgeon and surgery myself so confident he'll be fine
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BERT wrote:Tweeted by Licha
Great news for @Sj_gumble after back surgery! Get behind him bomber fans! Had the same surgeon and surgery myself so confident he'll be fine
Isn't he the same surgeon who did the original back surgery on Gumby (that probably caused this latest problem)?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

we got spoon fed the same garbage last year about how they finally found the problem and the related surgery will fix it......
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Why didn't he have the surgery last year?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Surely his last chance.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

And now for next week's episode of Gumbleton General Hospital....
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Seriously who the f*** is this Gumgrelton you are always talking about?
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Back surgery is notoriously touch and go. More often than not it is avoided unless every other option is exhausted. This is clearly a last desperate crack and I wish him luck.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Licha has shown the way hasnt he - comes back from a career threatening back injury only to go down with a career threatening knee injury

f*** we have been cursed with injuries

T Watson, Salmon, Long, Wallis, Hird, Solomon, Lloyd, M Johnson, Bewick, Olarenshaw, Hills, Winderlich, Laycock, Dempsey, Daniher D, Long A, Pears, Prismall, Lonergan, Gumbleton, Lucas, Prior, Daniher N, and on and on and on it goes - players whose careers were severly curtailed by injury
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:Licha has shown the way hasnt he - comes back from a career threatening back injury only to go down with a career threatening knee injury

f*** we have been cursed with injuries

T Watson, Salmon, Long, Wallis, Hird, Solomon, Lloyd, M Johnson, Bewick, Olarenshaw, Hills, Winderlich, Laycock, Dempsey, Daniher D, Long A, Pears, Prismall, Lonergan, Gumbleton, Lucas, Prior, Daniher N, and on and on and on it goes - players whose careers were severly curtailed by injury
We have had quite a few injuries over the years but I would dispute your point about careers being severely curtailed in the cases on Tim Watson (300+ games), Paul Salmon (300+ Games), Matthew Lloyd (270+ games) Scott Lucas (270+ games)

Neale Daniher was certainly one whose career suffered badly, Darcy - hard to say because he never really got on the park, Gumby...there's still time for a good career.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012