Lonergan

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Lonergan

Post by rockhole »

Round about this time of year, I take a look at the previous seasons matches not only to get the blood stirring, but to try and determine where the improvement may come from.

The one player I tended to focus on was Sammy Lonergan.

Much was said about losing Winderlich and Dempsey against Carlton in round 2, but the loss of Lonergan later in the season was just as hurtful, if not more. I did not realise just how much heavy work he did in the packs and the number of times he would somehow get the ball out to our advantage. This, of course, gave great assistance to Jobe and obviously made life a lot more difficult for him when Sammy went down.

Lonergan is not blessed with great foot skills or blinding speed, but the work he did in and under was invaluable, and his return will be a major plus for us this year.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Lonergan

Post by Windy_Hill »

rockhole wrote:Round about this time of year, I take a look at the previous seasons matches not only to get the blood stirring, but to try and determine where the improvement may come from.

The one player I tended to focus on was Sammy Lonergan.

Much was said about losing Winderlich and Dempsey against Carlton in round 2, but the loss of Lonergan later in the season was just as hurtful, if not more. I did not realise just how much heavy work he did in the packs and the number of times he would somehow get the ball out to our advantage. This, of course, gave great assistance to Jobe and obviously made life a lot more difficult for him when Sammy went down.

Lonergan is not blessed with great foot skills or blinding speed, but the work he did in and under was invaluable, and his return will be a major plus for us this year.

And he kicks goals - highly underated player imo
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

he stepped up big time when Watson and Hocking were out of the team... ill never forget him evading to players on the wing down low to kick the ball inside 50
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I love how hard he works and goes into the packs.

But I think we have too many other clearance players who are better all-round players for him to be in the 22. Or else our midfield is still plain shit.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

j-mac31 wrote:I love how hard he works and goes into the packs.

But I think we have too many other clearance players who are better all-round players for him to be in the 22. Or else our midfield is still plain shit.

I think any club needs at least 3, maybe 4 genuine in and under types. The work load is immense when you are in the clinches and I reckon having Lonergan in form allows us to run Jobe through the forward line every now and then - very important given the limited rotations available under the new interchange rules.

Hocking, Howlett, Watson and Lonergan gives us some real depth on game day. Then you have your outside types like Zaka, Stanton, Winderlich, Jetta, Melksham etc to add pace and run.

I defintiely think Lonergan has a place in our best 22 if he can continue to show the form he did in 2011 prior to injury
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Considering the amount of players you need to have going through the midfield I definately think Sammy has a spot. He is also a capable small forward so can rotate through their as well.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sismis wrote:Considering the amount of players you need to have going through the midfield I definately think Sammy has a spot.
Yeah, maybe you're right.

I think if he's a walk-up start in the best 22 though, we're not looking like a top 4 side.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

j-mac31 wrote:
Sismis wrote:Considering the amount of players you need to have going through the midfield I definately think Sammy has a spot.

I think if he's a walk-up start in the best 22 though, we're not looking like a top 4 side.

Even Collingwood has got junk, just look at their captain
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Windy_Hill wrote:Even Collingwood has got junk, just look at their captain
and their supporters... :lol:
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Windy_Hill wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:

Do a twitter search under #thingsthatarebetterthannickmaxwell me and a few mates were having some fun yesterday
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

bomberdonnie wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:

Do a twitter search under #thingsthatarebetterthannickmaxwell me and a few mates were having some fun yesterday
Nothing comes up.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

#thingsbetterthannickmaxwell sorry
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:

Yes, but their midfield is so good they can cover a dud back man. Not to mention N. Brown and Reid.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Maxwell really isn't that bad of a player, sure he was crud towards of the end of last year but overall he has been good for Collingwood. If he was at Essendon he would probably be our second best defender. Don't get me wrong I hate Collingwood and I hate Maxwell but you guys have to put things into perspective. J-Mac was spot on, if Lonergan is in our best 22 we're not a top 4 side. I love the way he is in and under and has a dip week in week out but his skills are limited and he's too slow. How often do you see him get caught and only just manage to scramble a kick away? At best he's a good back up for when Watson or Hocking are injured. If we want to be a top 4 team I don't think we can afford to be too slow through the midfield in today's footy.
Last edited by ZeroEffect on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

ZeroEffect wrote:. Windy_Hill was spot on, if Lonergan is in our best 22 we're not a top 4 side. I
I think you'll find that J-Mac said that.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Windy_Hill wrote:
ZeroEffect wrote:. Windy_Hill was spot on, if Lonergan is in our best 22 we're not a top 4 side. I
Oh, he did too, sorry Windy_Hill.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thanks to both. :oops: :P