Pre sheedy rivalries?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Pre sheedy rivalries?

Post by little_ripper »

I am not sure how many older timers are on this board, but of those that are(and maybe lurking), can anyone share a bit about the clubs rivalries pre-sheedy era?

Was the Scum/Filth rivalry just as fierce? What were matches like against richmond when they were decent etc etc?
Any other unusual rivalries...... (others that might have fizzled out over the years etc...).
What were old South Melbourne games like in the 70s for example anything to write home about?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: Pre sheedy rivalries?

Post by swoodley »

As an (ahem) older timer, my alzheimers makes it difficult to remember back that far.

I'm not sure that there were too many rivalries compared to now, especially seeing as the media in those days just reported the facts rather than carry on trying to create stories (ah, the good old days :D )

I remember always wanting to beat Carlton after they beat us in the '68 GF but as we were generally crap for the most of the next 10-12 years, I dont' think we were good enough to have rivalries.

I personally think that although the rivalries these days are very real, a lot of it has more to do with the attention paid to them by the media.

Sure we hate Collingwood and Carlton and detest Hawthorn but I don't recall such a depth of feeling prior to Sheeds.

As for playing South Melbourne at Albert Park, we won some and lost some....it was just an average suburban ground like Windy Hill, Arden Street etc.

Now I'm a bit tired after typing all this so I will take myself off for a nap.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Richmond had a massive rivalry with Carlton during the time Sheedy played for them.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

There wasd not much love between us and the Saints after two incidents whereby Daryl Griffiths was cleaned up by one of our hard men and Barry Davis copped the square up sometime later. We rolled them in the "65 which was great.

Bluey Shelton nearly killed Geelong's Doug Wade in one incident at Windy Hill which caused a lot of animosity between the clubs. Collingwood were universally hated and our Grand Finals against Carlton in '62 and '68 kept a healthy loathing alive. (we were robbed blind in the '68)

My memories of South Melbourne revolve around the infamous night footy matches which I think were held on a Thursday as you could get a skinful in the City and jump a tram to the match. Many a square up occurred in the dark pockets as the lighting was terrible. The best entertainment was usually at half time whereby invariably some drunk would try and climb one of the light towers with the rozzers in hot pursuit.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

As a '' mature age'' member & supporter i recall the extreme rivalry , actually hatred , for the filth & scum. The scum were always cheats & the 1968 grand Final where we were cheated out of a win by the maggot refusing to pay a free kick late in the game to Alan Noonan against Wes Lofts still gives me sleepless nights. We lost by 3 points.

My father has an even more hatred for the scum going back to the late 40's & early 50's (well before my time) when some scum prick who had'nt a kick all day , kicked an arsy goal over his head on the boundary line just before the final siren in a grand final in the late 40's. We lost by a point. A scum player named casper king hit John Coleman in a game just before the finals in 53 ? , Coley retaliated & copped an outrageous 4 WEEKS & missed the grand final which we lost by 11 points. Personally I recall in the 60's when Jack Clark was elbowed in the head at Windy Hill , in front of the Reynolds stand , by scum Vasil Valarmous , Clark was knocked out & carried off on a stretcher & the crowd went crazy & the scum team was lucky to get off the ground alive. Ah the good old Windy Hill days.

As for the filth there was always hatred , going to Victoria Park to watch the footy was an extreme adventure , to get out in one piece was the main aim. Never put Essendon stickers on your car at Collingwood because your tyres would be slashed , i found out the hard way..

The rivalry between Richmond heated up after the Windy Hill brawl in the 70's , the rivalry with the Dawks only got big in the 80's . Before that it was relatively calm apart the days when John Peck & '' delicate'' Des Dickson where belting up people. Norf Melb don't like us much but who cares.

The My memories of South Melbourne revolve around the infamous night footy matches which I think were held on a Thursday as you could get a skinful in the City and jump a tram to the match. Many a square up occurred in the dark pockets as the lighting was terrible. The best entertainment was usually at half time whereby invariably some drunk would try and climb one of the light towers with the rozzers in hot pursuit.[/quote]

This was also my main memory of the South Melbourne ground as the south team were very ordinary. But the hatred for the scum is required for every Bomber supporter
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Ronny Rotten wrote:As a '' mature age'' member & supporter i recall the extreme rivalry , actually hatred , for the filth & scum. The scum were always cheats & the 1968 grand Final where we were cheated out of a win by the maggot refusing to pay a free kick late in the game to Alan Noonan against Wes Lofts still gives me sleepless nights. We lost by 3 points.
I've got a video somewhere where Noonan says the umpire came up to him after the game and said he should have paid the free kick.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I'm only pushing 30 (this Wednesday, shit).

I know it's not pre-Sheedy, but the rivalries when I was younger were so much bigger than they are now.

Collingwood and Carlton are a given. Those games were huge, I remember people being more passionate back in the day - especially the cheer squad, not like the fools we have now. Had more fights at Carlton games than any others :lol:

One of my favourite memories was going to Moorabin with the old man. I would've been around 9 or 10 years old. I couldn't see a thing in the standing room, so we evaded a security guard and got into the members stand. We had 5 or 6 old sheilas in there 60's or 70's behind us. I can still hear them now - F***, C***, arsehole... they were all class. They were particularly fond of Simon Madden. They gave it to him non-stop, I couldn't stop laughing.

Then, the old man had enough of it. He turned around and muttered the words "It's a pity he's been destroying you all day. He's a champion, show some respect.."

They all stood as one, and shrieked something along the lines of "these arseholes are Essendon mongrels! Get them the f*** out of here! Security, security!"

We both pissed ourselves laughing. Then one of them spat at us. We decided to make our way down the stand, one bloke had a crack at the old man, the old man kindly sat him back down (forcefully), and as we left the stand we gave the scum a round of applause. It was a glorious display from their faithful.

So yeah, St Kilda can kiss my hairy bean bag!
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Gimps wrote:I'm only pushing 30 (this Wednesday, shit).

I know it's not pre-Sheedy, but the rivalries when I was younger were so much bigger than they are now.

Collingwood and Carlton are a given. Those games were huge, I remember people being more passionate back in the day - especially the cheer squad, not like the fools we have now. Had more fights at Carlton games than any others :lol:

One of my favourite memories was going to Moorabin with the old man. I would've been around 9 or 10 years old. I couldn't see a thing in the standing room, so we evaded a security guard and got into the members stand. We had 5 or 6 old sheilas in there 60's or 70's behind us. I can still hear them now - F***, C***, arsehole... they were all class. They were particularly fond of Simon Madden. They gave it to him non-stop, I couldn't stop laughing.

Then, the old man had enough of it. He turned around and muttered the words "It's a pity he's been destroying you all day. He's a champion, show some respect.."

They all stood as one, and shrieked something along the lines of "these arseholes are Essendon mongrels! Get them the f*** out of here! Security, security!"

We both pissed ourselves laughing. Then one of them spat at us. We decided to make our way down the stand, one bloke had a crack at the old man, the old man kindly sat him back down (forcefully), and as we left the stand we gave the scum a round of applause. It was a glorious display from their faithful.

So yeah, St Kilda can kiss my hairy bean bag!
Moorabbin. What a bunch of ferals they were there. The last time we played them there in 91, I was 15. Dad and I were running late and in the hurry to get into the ground we ended up in the animal enclosure. They were really feral in there. We proceeded to blow them away in the 1st quarter and it shut them up for a while. Everyone copped it from them. Should have heard what they were calling out to Molly Meldrum. It was a eye opener to a naive 15 year old.

Never went to Vic Park or Geelong. Would have loved to see Essendon at both of those grounds.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Made many a trip down the highway to Kardinia Park...caught the train a couple of times with mates when I was still at school...always stood near the wing on what was then the outer.
Most vivid memory was round 1 1981 when Tony Buhagiar debuted...we went down by 5-6 points in a close encounter. Budgie made an impression on us...he was a real short arse but had absolutley no fear.

As for Victoria Park...you soon figured out that you needed to stand wherever the Essendon supporters were if you valued your life.....it's the only place I ever felt scared at a game...their toothless feral moron supporters all acted like they had just escaped from the local asylum.

It was one ground I never felt sad about not having to go to anymore.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I vaguely remember parts of the 70's. We didn't have much rivalry because we were crud for most of that decade. I think Tuddy ensured that we threw (at least he did) the kitchen sink at Collingwood everytime we played them during his playing/coaching stint.

I think the biggest rivalry during that decade was within the club itself. It seemed very conflicted.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Always been Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond

A little bit of Fitzroy and St Kilda in the 70's

A lot of Hawthorn in the 80's

A fair bit of North in the 90's

A smidgeon of the Eagles in the 90's

A lot less of Richmond since 1980

A brief moment of Brisbane in the 2000's

A whole lotta Carlton and Collingwood still
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

swoodley wrote:Made many a trip down the highway to Kardinia Park...caught the train a couple of times with mates when I was still at school...always stood near the wing on what was then the outer.
Most vivid memory was round 1 1981 when Tony Buhagiar debuted...we went down by 5-6 points in a close encounter. Budgie made an impression on us...he was a real short arse but had absolutley no fear.

As for Victoria Park...you soon figured out that you needed to stand wherever the Essendon supporters were if you valued your life.....it's the only place I ever felt scared at a game...their toothless feral moron supporters all acted like they had just escaped from the local asylum.

Strange but I never felt threatened at Victoria Park. Princess Park was place I loathed as I saw some of the worst violence there. These were the days whereby you could walk in with a 50 can Esky and many punters were legless before the bounce. The fights in the crowd were pretty hairy but it was the walk back to the train/car that was really scary. I confess to removing my scarf on occasions. Greatest moment at Princess Park was N. Daniher v. Carlton in 1981. Scarf stayed firmly on that day.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

rockhole wrote:
swoodley wrote:Made many a trip down the highway to Kardinia Park...caught the train a couple of times with mates when I was still at school...always stood near the wing on what was then the outer.

Strange but I never felt threatened at Victoria Park. Princess Park was place I loathed as I saw some of the worst violence there. These were the days whereby you could walk in with a 50 can Esky and many punters were legless before the bounce. The fights in the crowd were pretty hairy but it was the walk back to the train/car that was really scary. I confess to removing my scarf on occasions. Greatest moment at Princess Park was N. Daniher v. Carlton in 1981. Scarf stayed firmly on that day.
One of my great football memories as I was standing behind the goals at the members end...I had gone with a mate who was a Carlton Social Club member. I was wearing my bombers jumper, scarf and beanie and was copping a heap of shit all day...right up to that beautiful moment when the umpire penalised Fitzpatrick for time wasting...that changed the game and of course we went on to record a famous victory...I went beserk giving all the scum fans heaps until my mate (wisely) draggd me out of there before we both got killed vingertje
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Phil Carmen and EFC vs the VFL/AFL umpiring fraternity (and the maggots still haven't forgiven us) ...
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
boris
On the Rookie List

Post by boris »

swoodley wrote:As for Victoria Park...their toothless feral moron supporters all acted like they had just escaped from the local asylum.
so what you're saying is.. nothing but the venue has changed.
electrickery
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

boris wrote:
swoodley wrote:As for Victoria Park...their toothless feral moron supporters all acted like they had just escaped from the local asylum.
so what you're saying is.. nothing but the venue has changed.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

swoodley wrote:their toothless feral moron supporters all acted like they had just escaped from the local asylum.
"Acted"?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

The first game I ever went to was the last game played at Moorabin - Saints v North.

We went because my dad is a St Kilda "supporter" (only game he ever took us to that was not organised by us :roll: ) but mainly because he had some North supporting friends.

We were standing in the outer and the crowd was the filthiest filth I had (probably still have) ever witnessed. But my dad didn't want me to think Saints supporters were bad or this guy he worked with who was a mad North supporter and I idolised, so he just told me it was the North supporters who were using all the language and such - so for many years after that I thought North supporters were absolutely feral and the worst in the league.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Port supporters at AAMI make Collingwood supporters look like choir boys.

They are the worst in the league by a long long way.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

BERT wrote:Port supporters at AAMI make Collingwood supporters look like choir boys.

They are the worst in the league by a long long way.
My old man & his mates used to go over there for Dons v Crows games a fair bit. He always told me that if I went, I should take a raincoat - not to protect me from the rain, but because the c*** love spitting at you..