Angus Monfries

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Angus Monfries

Post by BenDoolan »

In the gun, as opposed to, "is a gun".

Discuss!
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: Angus Monfries

Post by Gimps »

BenDoolan wrote:In the gun, as opposed to, "is a gun".

Discuss!
I suppose this thread needed to appear after the requests in the Myers thread.

Monfries is up and down like a yo-yo. Needs to find consistency, & figure out his best position. All I can say is that he has the potential to be a top-liner, but he's had plenty of time to turn the potential into something of substance.

Had very little or no impact last night.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gimps wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:In the gun, as opposed to, "is a gun".

Discuss!
I suppose this thread needed to appear after the requests in the Myers thread.

Monfries is up and down like a yo-yo. Needs to find consistency, & figure out his best position. All I can say is that he has the potential to be a top-liner, but he's had plenty of time to turn the potential into something of substance.

Had very little or no impact last night.
Correct!

He needs a rocket.
Essendunny
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Thank You BD ;)

Clearly worst on ground last night for me along with Pears. The guy does sweet f*** all. I barely noticed him the entire night. When will he learn that he isn't a tall forward?! Sick to death of him going up with tall forwards in marking contests and spoiling their run for the ball, trying to take mark of the year etc. You're a small forward...stay down and crumb the damn ball. It pisses me off that he gets a game every week when he plays matches like these and that guys like Lonergan (although maybe just in the VFL side to gain match fitness after injury) have to play in the reserves and actually give a f***. Even Del'Ollio deserves a spot over Gus. When is he going to be good? I'm slowly giving up because there are plenty of players that could take his place if he doesn't start pulling his finger out.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

JP_12 wrote:Thank You BD ;)

Clearly worst on ground last night for me along with Pears. The guy does sweet f*** all. I barely noticed him the entire night. When will he learn that he isn't a tall forward?! Sick to death of him going up with tall forwards in marking contests and spoiling their run for the ball, trying to take mark of the year etc. You're a small forward...stay down and crumb the damn ball. It pisses me off that he gets a game every week when he plays matches like these and that guys like Lonergan (although maybe just in the VFL side to gain match fitness after injury) have to play in the reserves and actually give a f***. Even Del'Ollio deserves a spot over Gus. When is he going to be good? I'm slowly giving up because there are plenty of players that could take his place if he doesn't start pulling his finger out.
Mate, I couldn't have said it better myself. He is teflon when it comes to being dropped. The only time he was dropped, it didn't happen because their was a last minute change and he came straight back in. He has never been made to find form or consistency in the magoos - while others on our list have been made to do it.

Hirdy said Gus needs to play like a "man". Well, he still plays like a kid.

I agree, there are others waiting to take his spot. And another performance like last night should see him trading places with someone else (if not already).
Essendunny
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

I left out Reimers too....im sure you could add many more to the list.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

JP_12 wrote:I left out Reimers too....im sure you could add many more to the list.
Well there's a prime example of someone who is made to re-model his game in the magoos....
Essendunny
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

For me it's at the point with Angus that we know exactly what we're going to get and things are not going to change.
It's up to the club to find someone better to replace him, and until then we're going to have to put up with him.

Personally I think that while Lonergan may be far more worthy of a game, he's a diferent type of player, so may not be relevant.
Reimers? Only those within the club know the answer to that one...
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

It wasn't Monfries' best game last night.

He did do few good things, but was unfortunately unable to get into the game.

He is still too good of a player to stay down.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

BomberinJapan wrote:For me it's at the point with Angus that we know exactly what we're going to get and things are not going to change.
It's up to the club to find someone better to replace him, and until then we're going to have to put up with him.

Personally I think that while Lonergan may be far more worthy of a game, he's a diferent type of player, so may not be relevant.
Reimers? Only those within the club know the answer to that one...
That's what annoys me too because of positional places in the team, just because we have lack of small forwards he just gets a walk up start. Chuck anyone else down there even if it's a midfielder LOL. Chuck Winderlich on a flank or Lonergan. Anyone but Monfries haha.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

The thing that annoyed me the most was when he finally had a chance to make some impact he misses a f****** set shot that would have put the game to bed
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

bomberdonnie wrote:The thing that annoyed me the most was when he finally had a chance to make some impact he misses a f****** set shot that would have put the game to bed
He wasn't the only one to miss shots at goal that should have been nailed. 14.20 it almost cost us the game
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

bombercol wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:The thing that annoyed me the most was when he finally had a chance to make some impact he misses a f****** set shot that would have put the game to bed
He wasn't the only one to miss shots at goal that should have been nailed. 14.20 it almost cost us the game
Yes I know and I have stated elsewhere that our goal kicking was putrid

Gus annoyed me especially because he is paid to kick goals and he finally had a chance to do something in a quiet game and f***** it up
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Does seem to be kissed on the dick when it comes to selection time (compared to eternal "made to earn their placers" such as Lonergan, Reimers, etc)

Back pocket - re-invent himself as a defender - give him a simple job to man up, defend and rebound. It seemed to work for Leon, another perpetual under achiever as a small forward. Otherwise move him on to GWS
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

he's had far too much time to develop in the seniors, time to drop him back and dominate for 3-4 weeks in a row and get his self expectations up, he is just going through the motions cause he wont get dropped

I was at the VFL game yesterday and Lonergan was fantastic, he could easily move into Monfries forward position and also give another midfield rotation switching with maybe Zaka, tough, smart and has a great mark
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Sorry ,but this is so negative.

It wasn't Monfries best game and yes he missed a shot he should have got, but he still did some good things on the night.

I still rate him as being an important part of our team.

Hopefully he'll play a blinder on Saturday and be spared the knives in the back next week.

Go Bombers!
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Col, you should disqualify yourself from this one. Angus has always been your love child.

Now on important matters. Are you going to Brian Jonestown Massacre?
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

If he can't play a good game against Port he should be dropped but we all know he won't be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bombercol wrote:Sorry ,but this is so negative.

It wasn't Monfries best game and yes he missed a shot he should have got, but he still did some good things on the night.

I still rate him as being an important part of our team.

Hopefully he'll play a blinder on Saturday and be spared the knives in the back next week.

Go Bombers!
Well, I gotta hand it to ya Col, you've stuck with him no matter what. That's true loyalty.

But questions need to be asked about his output. Why isn't he (with 130+ games experience and at the age of 25) part of the leadership group? You gotta wonder. Especially when he had captaincy aspirations when he first burst onto the scene.

Has his game evolved since he first started? I'd say none whatsoever. He had midfield ambitions. He doesn't cut it. He's just a forward "floater" who doesn't really cause much havoc on the scoreboard. Just seems to meander along most of the time.

Check out some of his best performances (mainly against Carlton) and ask yourself, "why can't he do that most of the time?". I reckon it borders on pure laziness to be honest.

When you have a coach publicly pleading for him to play like a man, it means there is something wrong with his approach or maturity as a footballer.

Yet, he still gets picked week after week despite no change to his overall deficiencies.
Essendunny
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

I'd have Monfries in preference to McVeigh ATM.

I'd like to see Reimers get half the as much opportunity as these guys.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.