Ricky Dyson

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Ricky Dyson

Post by gringo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:01 am

Another good game frrom Dyson.

He deserves a spot in the team at the moment in my view. He's a beautiful kick and compliments our ball winners well. Winderlich will probably take his spot when he returns but for the moment, he's doing well for us.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.

jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: Ricky Dyson

Post by jimmyc1985 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 am

A very slight improvement on Myers. That said, expect Myers to come into the team at Dyson's expense when he's back from his hamstring as it seems the coaching staff are still holding onto hope that Myers will improve into a decent player, a sentiment i don't share.

Winderlich would probably take Dell'Olio's spot up forward...or, heaven forbid, even Monfries' spot.

gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:20 am

jimmyc1985 wrote:A very slight improvement on Myers. That said, expect Myers to come into the team at Dyson's expense when he's back from his hamstring as it seems the coaching staff are still holding onto hope that Myers will improve into a decent player, a sentiment i don't share.

Winderlich would probably take Dell'Olio's spot up forward...or, heaven forbid, even Monfries' spot.
Monfries has suprised this year. He's been very consistent. He's finally woken up to the fact that he's not a leading forward. He's too slow and too small for that role. He's got lovely skills as well.

It's probably testament to the fact that there is now fierce competition for spots in the team. If you don't perform, you're gone. You won't be given the same leniency to find form in the ones as has happened in recent seasons.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.

jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:31 am

gringo wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:A very slight improvement on Myers. That said, expect Myers to come into the team at Dyson's expense when he's back from his hamstring as it seems the coaching staff are still holding onto hope that Myers will improve into a decent player, a sentiment i don't share.

Monfries has suprised this year. He's been very consistent. He's finally woken up to the fact that he's not a leading forward. He's too slow and too small for that role. He's got lovely skills as well.

It's probably testament to the fact that there is now fierce competition for spots in the team. If you don't perform, you're gone. You won't be given the same leniency to find form in the ones as has happened in recent seasons.
Monfries has lovely skills? Thanks for the Thursday morning funny. He has a fundamental flaw in his kicking action when kicking 20-40m that hasn't been addressed his entire career - he tries to check his follow through by pulling back with his weight at the point of kicking (i.e. stab pass) or perform an exaggerated around-the-corner motion, and his short kicking is garbage as a result. Always has been. Him running around in the backline getting 15-20 touches isn't doing us much good.

I am not sure if Winderlich will make it back in the team at all - he's 28, constantly injured and coming off an ACL - but Monfries ain't any good. I like Colyer in a HFF role

robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:49 am

Ricky was good yesterday, one of only a few players who handled the ball well in the conditions.

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:54 am

jimmyc1985 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Monfries has lovely skills? Thanks for the Thursday morning funny. He has a fundamental flaw in his kicking action when kicking 20-40m that hasn't been addressed his entire career - he tries to check his follow through by pulling back with his weight at the point of kicking (i.e. stab pass) or perform an exaggerated around-the-corner motion, and his short kicking is garbage as a result. Always has been. Him running around in the backline getting 15-20 touches isn't doing us much good.

I am not sure if Winderlich will make it back in the team at all - he's 28, constantly injured and coming off an ACL - but Monfries ain't any good. I like Colyer in a HFF role
THIS.

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:59 am

In the past, Dyson has been accused of being an outside runner only....not that there's anything wrong with that, as that is what we needed yesterday.

To his credit, he was in and under a few times, which was pleasing to see.

gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:15 am

F111 wrote:In the past, Dyson has been accused of being an outside runner only....not that there's anything wrong with that, as that is what we needed yesterday.

Precisely. With Watson, Howlett, Hocking and Lonergan all playing, what we need is receivers who can use the ball well. It's set up perfectly for Dyson at the moment. If he can't make hay now, he never will.

rockhole
Club Captain

Post by rockhole » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 am

It is bloody amazing that he has fought his way back into the ones. I know there are prevailing circumstances, but you play your cards as you see them and Dyson hasn't done much wrong this year.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark

swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Credit to both Ricky and the coaching staff for getting him to this point.

His long and accurate kicking can be a real asset in terms of beating the press.

Deserving of a spot in the team while he maintains this type of form.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012

Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:08 pm

rockhole wrote:It is bloody amazing that he has fought his way back into the ones. I know there are prevailing circumstances, but you play your cards as you see them and Dyson hasn't done much wrong this year.
Agreed.. Ricky is a player that has made the most of the opportunity that has been given to him.. Will stay in the side as long as he continues to play well ... Looking to save his career and doing well so far :)

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:27 pm

Gimps wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:
gringo wrote:

THIS.
THAT!
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:52 pm

I have always said that Dyson would be a gun in a very good side... The sort of player who thrives on having the ball handed to him on a platter where he can use his pace and skills to deliver it

Most of the games he has played for us have been in losing teams that struggled to get the ball to him

j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:17 pm

gringo wrote:
F111 wrote:In the past, Dyson has been accused of being an outside runner only....not that there's anything wrong with that, as that is what we needed yesterday.

Precisely. With Watson, Howlett, Hocking and Lonergan all playing, what we need is receivers who can use the ball well. It's set up perfectly for Dyson at the moment. If he can't make hay now, he never will.
Yep, he's doing very well and the emergence and now good form of Howlett and Lonergan to go with Watson and Hocking certainly makes it easier for him. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Good god I hope he doesn't get dropped for Myers.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:47 pm

Has teased for so long. Could this be the start of something special.

No doubt has the skills. Has he got the ticker?

hop
Club Captain

Post by hop » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:22 pm

He more than anyone on our list is living proff of the body-building pre-season we had.

All of a sudden he has a huge rig and big shoulders - this has given him the strength (and confidence) to get down and dirty and back his natural skills (foot speed and long accurate kicking).

I don't think we can rely on Ricky anytime soon to take on the roles that Watson, Hocking, Lonergan and Howlett play - however he is playing a good support role atm.

A good depth player - which we'd have a shit load of if we'd stop getting f%&*ing hammies!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:47 pm

hop wrote:He more than anyone on our list is living proff of the body-building pre-season we had.

All of a sudden he has a huge rig and big shoulders - this has given him the strength (and confidence) to get down and dirty and back his natural skills (foot speed and long accurate kicking).

I don't think we can rely on Ricky anytime soon to take on the roles that Watson, Hocking, Lonergan and Howlett play - however he is playing a good support role atm.

A good depth player - which we'd have a shit load of if we'd stop getting f%&*ing hammies!
Yep, agree.

He's shown to have improved his game which is a good thing for the depth of the club. If he can play that sort of game filling in for injured players, it's a good thing. It then applies pressure on others to maintain their form to keep their spot when the injured players come back.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:25 pm

If they replace him with David Myers I will go ****** ballistic!

Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Gimps wrote:If they replace him with David Myers I will go ****** ballistic!
Me too... while the team is performing well we should keep a mainly settled lineup. I would hate the club to rush back all the injured players straight away and upset the current balance we have. They should have to play at Bendigo and EARN their way back into the side... Natrat, Hille, Spike, Myers... ALL of them.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:00 am

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
Gimps wrote:If they replace him with David Myers I will go ****** ballistic!
Me too... while the team is performing well we should keep a mainly settled lineup. I would hate the club to rush back all the injured players straight away and upset the current balance we have. They should have to play at Bendigo and EARN their way back into the side... Natrat, Hille, Spike, Myers... ALL of them.
I agree, but dont forget that Natrat and Hille were in pretty good form before going down with injury.