A New Look at our Most Important and Best Players

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

A New Look at our Most Important and Best Players

Post by Windy_Hill »

With the Dons on a well earned rest this weekend, I am thinking about how several players have really emerged over the last year, Given this, I am going to look at our new Top 10 players in terms of their value to the team. Not just best, but also most important.

This is ranked in order from 1-10

1) Jobe Watson - i would be incredibly surprised if Jobe was not a universal choice for our most important player. In terms of sheer talent, there may be better footballers in the squad but I doubt any are as valuable to the team. If he can complete the season uninjured, I am confident he will be rated in the Top 10 players in the league. If clearances & contested possessions at stoppages are amongst the KPI's for premiership success then Watson would be a first pick at most clubs. In these categories he is ranked 9th and 4th in the league - above him in contested possessions are noted warriors G Ablett and M Priddis. He also averages just under 27 disposals per game at a reasonable efficiency of 61% (consider that most of his disposals are under pressure, then this is not too bad). He is now in his prime as a player and provides great leadership around the ground.

2) Brent Stanton - who would have thought 12 months ago that Brent Stanton could be occupying number 2 on anyone's list of the most important players in our squad. Well after a fantastic second half of 2011 and coming second in the Club B&F, Stanton has gone to an entirely new level with his football this year. His well renowned running game has now been coupled with a new found efficiency in disposal. In 2012 he is averaging 26 disposals per game at an efficiency of 71% - that means he is moving the ball to the team's advantage about 19 times a game or nearly 4 times per quarter. And if you think its all outside stuff, only noted inside players Watson, Howlett and Lonergan average more tackles per game. Stanton is also chiming in with more than a goal a game so he is hurting the opposition on the scoreboard as well.

3) Ben Howlett - another player to have emerged. He is providing really serious support to Hocking and Watson in the clinches and so far this season has been magnificent. Howlett is ranked in the Club's Top 5 in Handballs, Tackles, Goal Assists, Clearances, Contested Possesions. Goes about his job every week with the minimum of fuss and injury free.

4) Stuart Crameri - just about the best non-tall Key Forward in the league at the moment and 3 years ago he was an unknown at Bendigo. Almost impossible for opposition coaches to find the best match up. He has the marking power of a 195cm power forward with the below the knee skills of the very best small goal sneaks. Kicking needs to be improved but he provides the ideal foil for the magnificent presence of Hurley and the wily pace of Jetta, Davey and Dell'Olio.

5) Tom Bellchambers - When it was thought that Ruckmen were a dying breed it now appears that they are more important than ever. In Tom Bellchambers we have a beauty. So young to be as good as he is in a position that normally tales 10 years to master. He is starting to really impose himself on the game and is giving our mids first use of the ball more often than not. He currently ranks 4th in the League for HO's. Probably needs to provide a bit more presence around the ground but looks like he could be come one of the very best rucks in the league before too long

6) Dyson Heppell - still a baby really and is already being targeted by opposition coaches as the player to shut down. He plays a sweeper type role with such composure for a player with just over a season under his belt. He is currently ranked third for total dispoals at Essendon with an efficiency of 75%. He also averages the second highest number of marks per game which indicates his ability to read the play so well and get into position to intercept opposition forward thrusts. Could be a real champion of the game and is already one of our best and most important players

7) Courtney Dempsey - fast, graceful and effective. If only we could keep this guy on the field consistently - he would no doubt blossom into one of the best running defenders in the game. Has improved his defensive skills considerably over the last few years and seems to have recovered very well from his ACL reco. Provides so much rebound and is a true 80M player in the sense that he can run 30 and kick 50.

8 ) Michael Hurley - Hasn't had the best start to 2012 but provides so much presence in the forward 50 that despite being off form, is still a vital player. He competes so hard that it draws defenders away from other players. He is destined to become a great footballer and has so much X Factor. Tall marking forwards are worth their weight in Gold in today's game - Franklin, Cloke, Reiwoldt, Brown, Kennedy. Hurley is not quite in this league of players yet but I would imagine before the end of 2012, he will be one of the game's elite players.

9) Patrick Ryder - has become the best utility ruckmen in the league and has already shown how good he can be when the pressure is on. Probably the best kick at goal in the team and therefore provides equal value as a key forward as he does as a sublime tap ruckmen. He is currently ranked 11th in the league in terms of average HO's per game but this is probably due to him playing more around the ground type roles than the other team's number one rucks. In terms of disposals, Ryder ranks higher than all other key rucks in the comp excepting Sandilands. Compared to the league's key ruckmen , he ranks first for marks and 2 for tackles and 1 percenters.

10) Dustin Fletcher - ranks number 1 in the team for 1 percenters - by a long way - enough said

Apologies to Zaharakis, Hocking and Hibberd who is fast becoming our best mid sized defender since Dean Solomon

DISCUSS..........
Last edited by Windy_Hill on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: A New Look at our Most Important and Best Players

Post by Gimps »

I'll get back to you when I've got a spare half an hour to read it..
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:I'll get back to you when I've got a spare half an hour to read it..

Do you need a ruler mate.... :wink:
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Nice one Windy

IMO, Zaharakis has to be in the top ten...when he fires, we always look so much better. His kicking for goal from 50m is beautiful to watch and he is easily one of the more skillful players on the list.

He has more chance of becoming an elite player than anyone else on the list.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Is Bellchambers being 4th for hitouts on average or in total? If in total then he is having some sort of season playing less games than most ruckman so far.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

I love what you have done here Windy_Hill and mostly agree with what you have said about your top 10 but how is Howlett No 3. and Bellchambers No. 5?
Surely Zaharakis and Hocking are well ahead of Howlett... Zaharakis may of gotton off to a slow start this year but he really stepped up last year and his consistancy was rightfully rewarded with a B & F. Hocking plays on the oppositions best player almost every week and has been doing that for the last 3 or 4 years. Even in the last three weeks he has played on Ablett, Judd and Pendlebury... taggers that get there own ball don't come around that often and I reckon he's a beauty.

Maybe your getting ahead of yourself with Bellchambers. You said it yourself he needs to provide more presence around the ground, something that Hille has been doing for his entire career. No question Bellchambers is a much better tap ruckman than Hille, but there is more to rucking than hitouts. It's great that Bellchambers has lifted to the occasion and played some solid games in Hille's absence but don't be surprised if he is omitted for the Brisbane game if Hille is fit and available. Also, Ryder shits all over both of them.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

ZeroEffect wrote:I love what you have done here Windy_Hill and mostly agree with what you have said about your top 10 but how is Howlett No 3. and Bellchambers No. 5?
Surely Zaharakis and Hocking are well ahead of Howlett... Zaharakis may of gotton off to a slow start this year but he really stepped up last year and his consistancy was rightfully rewarded with a B & F. Hocking plays on the oppositions best player almost every week and has been doing that for the last 3 or 4 years. Even in the last three weeks he has played on Ablett, Judd and Pendlebury... taggers that get there own ball don't come around that often and I reckon he's a beauty.

Maybe your getting ahead of yourself with Bellchambers. You said it yourself he needs to provide more presence around the ground, something that Hille has been doing for his entire career. No question Bellchambers is a much better tap ruckman than Hille, but there is more to rucking than hitouts. It's great that Bellchambers has lifted to the occasion and played some solid games in Hille's absence but don't be surprised if he is omitted for the Brisbane game if Hille is fit and available. Also, Ryder shits all over both of them.

Solid points Zero - I thought long and hard about TBC and it was the demolition job he did on Kreuser that put him high up on the list for me - one game only, I know, but surely a sugn of things to come. Conversely, Paddy, who has been great this year, went missing to a large extent against Collingwood. he has to keep his level of out put more consistent in my opinion. But, yeah, there are some strong arguments that Ryder should be higher up the list and certainly in front of Belly - I just love Belly and believe he is a our "secret" weapon in 2012.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

robrulz5 wrote:Is Bellchambers being 4th for hitouts on average or in total? If in total then he is having some sort of season playing less games than most ruckman so far.

Rob - Belly has played three games and is ranked 10th overall for number of hitouts and 4th overall for average hit outs per game. He is also ranked 7th on Essendon's list for Dream Team points, FWIW
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Good read.

If Hocking could play his own game instead of "standing" someone each game, he'd be WAY up there.

Agree with Hurleys spot. The substance hasn't caught up with the hype just yet, but it's gaining ground quickly. Crashing packs is great, but I fear his long term prospects might be affected by regular impact injury.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

'I'd have Hocking at number 2..
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:'I'd have Hocking at number 2..

5 weeks ago, I would have as well, he is terribly restricted by the roles he is getting but unlike last year, he doesnt seem to be as readily racking up stats of his own.

Could easily be back in the Top 10 by the end of the year
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Gimps wrote:'I'd have Hocking at number 2..
Agree, I would hate to think what Judd, Pendles and Gazza would have done to us without him.

Crameri no 3. He creates opportunities through pure power.

I can see why you rate Howlett though windy. I love the look of a defense with Howlett, Hibbard and Hardingham all able to play tall and small.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Sismis wrote:I can see why you rate Howlett though windy. I love the look of a defense with Howlett, Hibbard and Hardingham all able to play tall and small.
Are you sure you're thinking of Howlett? Has he played in the backline ever?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I didn't say backline, I said defense.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Right now, in 2012, I think you have to almost put Leroy Jetta in this list. He is in great form.

and what about David Hille when he is back and fit?, I do like Tommy Bellchambers don't get me wrong.

Hibberd is vitally important to our team.

I think our side will hurt without Hurley and Hibberd next round.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

little_ripper wrote:Right now, in 2012, I think you have to almost put Leroy Jetta in this list. He is in great form.

and what about David Hille when he is back and fit?, I do like Tommy Bellchambers don't get me wrong.

Hibberd is vitally important to our team.

I think our side will hurt without Hurley and Hibberd next round.

I went very close to including Hibberd which is remarkable when you consider he hasn't played 10 games. He really looks the goods
Last edited by Windy_Hill on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

After thinking about this for a couple of days, my list looks like this.

1. Watson - Goes without saying.

2. Fletcher - Yep, even at his age. The backline looks like dears stuck in headlights without him. He is our quatreback.

3. Ryder - One of the other big men go down and you can replace them with the other one. Ryder is irreplacable. If only he understood how good he actually is. He is a very good forward when required, and is like an extra mid-fielder when he plays in the ruck.

4. Stanton - His gut run is vital, and when he takes the oppositions best tagger, it frees up Watson, Zaka etc to use their class.

5. Hurley - Anyone who saw Crameri struggle on Wednesday knows how important Hurley is. He takes the best opposition back, and can swing down back himself when required.

6. Zaka - You have to have class, and he oozes it.

7. Hocking - He is a much better footballer than a tagger. I'd like to see Lonergan do more of the tagging, and Hocking be freed up to create havoc with his body work and clean hands in the middle.

8. HIbberd - A small backman that can shut down his opponet, hit a target coming out, and play tall? We have needed him for the last 10 years, and finally he has arrived.

9. Heppell - See Zaka

10. Crameri - Complements Hurley beautifully, and is genuinely tough.

Next 5 - Jetta, Howlett, Dempsey, Hardingham, Bellchambers.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:After thinking about this for a couple of days, my list looks like this.

2. Fletcher - Yep, even at his age. The backline looks like dears stuck in headlights without him. He is our quatreback.

3. Ryder - One of the other big men go down and you can replace them with the other one. Ryder is irreplacable. If only he understood how good he actually is. He is a very good forward when required, and is like an extra mid-fielder when he plays in the ruck.

4. Stanton - His gut run is vital, and when he takes the oppositions best tagger, it frees up Watson, Zaka etc to use their class.

5. Hurley - Anyone who saw Crameri struggle on Wednesday knows how important Hurley is. He takes the best opposition back, and can swing down back himself when required.

7. Hocking - He is a much better footballer than a tagger. I'd like to see Lonergan do more of the tagging, and Hocking be freed up to create havoc with his body work and clean hands in the middle.

8. HIbberd - A small backman that can shut down his opponet, hit a target coming out, and play tall? We have needed him for the last 10 years, and finally he has arrived.

9. Heppell - See Zaka

Nicely assembled and summarised Rob. Strongly agree.
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Agree wholeheartedly Rob
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

robbie67 wrote:After thinking about this for a couple of days, my list looks like this.

9. Heppell - See Zaka

No arguments from me. I think the issue for me with Zaka and Buddha is simply current form. They could well be in the Top 5 by round 12. Also, really think Demps, Belly and Benny H are just giving us do much good stuff, it's hard not to consider them.