Bombertalk - is the end nigh?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Bombertalk - is the end nigh?

Post by Windy_Hill »

I know we discussed this a short time ago but it just seems to me that the participation levels at BT are reaching an all time low.

Key BT'ers - love em or hate em have been dropping off the radar at a rate of knots.

The discussions are becoming pretty much the same old pre-match and post match topics - less flavour in these than my beef curry.

Its great to be a "boutique" fan forum but I am now of the opinion we need to promote the place in order to attract a few more participants.

Please note that I would hate to get to the level of BB of which I am also a member but usually cant be fagged reading through 280 posts on David Myers recent formline!

So it wouldnt take much to liven things up a bit around here

Comments?
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: Bombertalk - is the end nigh?

Post by bomberdonnie »

Yeah agree

The only time the place livens up with new and interesting topics of late is straight after a game

It is a fine balancing act though because we definitely need some fresh blood but the last thing we want is for the place to be anything like BB as you mentioned
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

On it.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Tend to agree...should try and talk the club into re-instating the chatrooms on the website...it has been what, nearly 10 years now...surely they can build a bridge...
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

a few things.

mods - can you sticky pre game/post game threads each week. they are the most relevant.
same with an injuries and suspensions/tribunal thread?

i think these are most important.

I also think a faq, and whilst its obviously not needed to be strictly adhered too cos of a light amount of users, the regulars here could kinda adopt it.
suggesting a bit of conformity on subject headings such as:
NEWS:(for comments on journos stories, link provided in post)
POLL: (think this might happen already on the rare occaison someone does this anyway).
TRADE:(trade talk)
and even perhaps an AFL: (for non essendon).
then delete the AFL Discussion sub forum.

For a site with few users, you want very few sub forums(if any).
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Crazyman wrote:Tend to agree...should try and talk the club into re-instating the chatrooms on the website...it has been what, nearly 10 years now...surely they can build a bridge...
Interesting comment. A quick email can't do any harm at all.... I have a few contacts at the club in the admin part so I will find the right person to get it onto. It might be that the Media and Communications guy at the club may have to be an Administrator, however I'm sure this wouldn't be a major problem.

Getting new people to the site is an interesting one. Could always hand out flyers pre match as an option, advertisement in the paper sports section costs roughly $600+ depending on the size of the ad. This could be another option.

I do know there are a lot of people that come and read on this site that do not post.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Are any stats kept? I'd be keen to see what participation levels have been like over the past 5 or so years.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Over at bomberblitz, they have an Essendon Insider thread from someone within the club keeping people up to date.

So I think unofficially Essendon have already declared bomberblitz the "unofficial official" forum for the bombers.

ombertalk its an internet forum. so word should be spread via the interwebs. how much for a FaceBook ad to all those people who like EFC on facebook?
(i wonder if facebook takes adverts from forums and if its expensive?)

Also why not link share? encourage opposition supporters. (not to make it a bigfooty type show, but can you allow people to post as guests in particular threads, like prematch discussion?)
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Some SEO would help a lot

At the moment if you google 'essendon forum' or 'bombers forum' we are no where to be seen

I will have a chat to our SEO Manager at work and see what we can do
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Meh.

A bit more discussion would be good, but a few years back there were seemingly infinity new posts if you didn't come on for a couple of days after a game.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Gossy7 wrote:
Crazyman wrote:Tend to agree...should try and talk the club into re-instating the chatrooms on the website...it has been what, nearly 10 years now...surely they can build a bridge...
Interesting comment. A quick email can't do any harm at all.... I have a few contacts at the club in the admin part so I will find the right person to get it onto. It might be that the Media and Communications guy at the club may have to be an Administrator, however I'm sure this wouldn't be a major problem.

Getting new people to the site is an interesting one. Could always hand out flyers pre match as an option, advertisement in the paper sports section costs roughly $600+ depending on the size of the ad. This could be another option.

I do know there are a lot of people that come and read on this site that do not post.
The club have no intention of ever hosting a forum like the old one on their site ever again.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

boncer34 wrote:
Gossy7 wrote:

The club have no intention of ever hosting a forum like the old one on their site ever again.
So I take it you are the person who makes that decision?
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Gossy7 wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
Gossy7 wrote:

So I take it you are the person who makes that decision?
Maybe I am. :lol:

But by all means go ahead and ask. I was only trying to help save you from wasting your time.
Itsmyshow
Top Up Player

Post by Itsmyshow »

So where is the welcome thread where everyone lauds my arrival bonce?

I wanna see a bit of this

=D> =D> =D> =D>
It's been less than a week since BJG joined the Red and Black, but already the world is a far better place.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Itsmyshow wrote:So where is the welcome thread where everyone lauds my arrival bonce?

=D> =D> =D> =D>
You found your way mate.

Welcome!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

haha 6 months is a long time in forum land, I said the same thing then and no-one agreed now everyone agree's ](*,)

but I agree :P
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Itsmyshow
Top Up Player

Post by Itsmyshow »

boncer34 wrote:
Itsmyshow wrote:So where is the welcome thread where everyone lauds my arrival bonce?

=D> =D> =D> =D>
You found your way mate.

Welcome!
It was a long walk, but eventually I made it... I really don't know if I agree with the whole initiation thing though, that was tough.
It's been less than a week since BJG joined the Red and Black, but already the world is a far better place.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

It's is interesting how people on here view Blitz....I must admit that I have been spending more time on there of late because more happens there.

I know that we like to think that this is a more "intellectual" site but there are a lot of quality posters over on Blitz (imo).

I also don't mind trying to figure out some of their banter and I find that the more time I spend there, the more I actually understand some of the undertones.

As previously mentioned, Blitz also has "The Essendon Insider" and recently the new "Fan Development Manager" joined Blitz looking for ideas so there is more of link to the inner sanctum there.

Having said all that, I do prefer our smaller threads as it's easier to keep up with the conversation.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Welcome itsmyshow... I see you know Bonce so you've already met the dregs. I am naturally the sexy girlie that Bonce has already told you about. Everyone else you'll get to know in time and make your own judgement.

And I can back Bonce here - EFC will not be interested in aligning with any forum, and I am in a better position to say that than he is ;) That bridge is long burnt. I think if we all just try and get a friend of two involved, even if they aren't BTers - I think some non biased opinions is never a bad thing - we'll be right. It has got a lil stale in here, I know I don't post as much, but I do read.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Lot's of Essendon facebook groups popping up, might be worth giving the forum a mention in there.