West Coast - The Real Test

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

West Coast - The Real Test

Post by Windy_Hill »

Sure, we blew away Carlton but they surely had a bad day at the office and lets be honest, formlines nver really count against Carlton.

We were competitive against Collingwood although the one point margin was somewhat flattering. Anyone who saw the game would have to admit that we were not great on ANZAC Day

Average performances against Gold Coast and Port - two improving teams for sure, but again, we were no standout.

Possibly lucky to win against North where a straight kick may see us 4-2 instead of 5-1

So a thashing of struggling Brisbane is the latest result and you can only beat the opposition that you are given and we definitley did that very, very well.

However, for me, the approaching West Coast Game will be the real test for how far we have come. No emotional "lifting" as is the case with Carlton, no big occasion catalyst as is the case with the ANZAC day game. This is just your normal, run of the mill, home and away game against a realistic Top Four aspirant. INjuries will affect both teams so there is no real excuses on this front.

For me, this is the game the Bombers have to win to really prove that they are a genuine finals contender. I hope the coaches and the players are of the same view and can really pull something special out of the bag.

So far this season, no complaints. But this is the game that will really be the test for this young side
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Re: West Coast - The Real Test

Post by rockhole »

This is the defining game.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

We should've drilled North by 6 or 7 goals. The result was flattering to the Roos. They didn't deserve to get near it, just like we didn't deserve it on Anzac Day.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Nicnat out if the eagles side today... Fingers crossed he misses next week as well!!
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Norf: As Gimps stated, Norf were lucky to be in the game. If you want to compare straight kicks, we kicked 14.20 to 15.12.
Port: Port played as well as they could & we still ended up 4 goals better.
GC: Shocking game. Shithouse after 1/4 time, fitness & experience carried us over the line in the last. Reinforced doubts that we're still crap outside of Etihad.
Scum: Regardless of the perception that the scum played badly, it was a great victory. Destroyed them. Hird & co worked them out. One of our best MCG games of recent times.
Filth: Ordinary game in ordinary conditions. Fought it out & could've stolen it. Filth shut us down in key areas, hopefully some lessons learnt.
Bris: Job done. Bris are shite, training drill.

WC formline isn't as flattering is it sounds. Comfortable win against an average WB away. Big win against a craptacular Dees side at home. Another big win against GWS away. Close win against Dawks at home in crap low scoring conditions. A close win away against Tiges. This will be a test for them as well. We have injuries, they have injuries (still have to get through today's game).

Home ground advantage, it's the sort of game I'd expect to get over the line, but know that in the past poor kicking for goal or failure to shut down key players has cost us these type of games.

With a tough end to the season, we need to get as many of the early games in the bank as possible. With a few of the interstate teams in the top 8, we don't want to finish the year with an interstate flogging in the 1st final.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Nicnat out if the eagles side today... Fingers crossed he misses next week as well!!
hamstring injury so he very well may be out next week too
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Royza wrote:Norf: As Gimps stated, Norf were lucky to be in the game. If you want to compare straight kicks, we kicked 14.20 to 15.12.
Port: Port played as well as they could & we still ended up 4 goals better.
GC: Shocking game. Shithouse after 1/4 time, fitness & experience carried us over the line in the last. Reinforced doubts that we're still crap outside of Etihad.
Scum: Regardless of the perception that the scum played badly, it was a great victory. Destroyed them. Hird & co worked them out. One of our best MCG games of recent times.
Filth: Ordinary game in ordinary conditions. Fought it out & could've stolen it. Filth shut us down in key areas, hopefully some lessons learnt.
Bris: Job done. Bris are shite, training drill.

WC formline isn't as flattering is it sounds. Comfortable win against an average WB away. Big win against a craptacular Dees side at home. Another big win against GWS away. Close win against Dawks at home in crap low scoring conditions. A close win away against Tiges. This will be a test for them as well. We have injuries, they have injuries (still have to get through today's game).

Home ground advantage, it's the sort of game I'd expect to get over the line, but know that in the past poor kicking for goal or failure to shut down key players has cost us these type of games.

With a tough end to the season, we need to get as many of the early games in the bank as possible. With a few of the interstate teams in the top 8, we don't want to finish the year with an interstate flogging in the 1st final.
Great wrap - should be a good game.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

I'll go early and predict a win. Tough game but pretty confident.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Adam Selwood broke a finger, Hams should be rubbed out for cleaning up Swallow. Not big names, but will test their depth further.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

If the eagles get a run from the umps like they did today, I'm tipping Etihad stadium will be torched. They get a great run at home.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Royza wrote:Adam Selwood broke a finger, Hams should be rubbed out for cleaning up Swallow. Not big names, but will test their depth further.

Selwood out would be huge. One less bloke to tag the f*** out of Watson or Stanton.
Itsmyshow
Top Up Player

Post by Itsmyshow »

I am a realist and personally just wanted to see the young Essendon players grow again this year and the game plan be tweaked a little further, been very happy that not only have both those boxes been ticked, but we are further advanced than that.
This is a big test this week, the Eagles are a genuinely good football side. I tipped the Bombers to finish between 6th and 10th at the start of the year with the draw playing a bit of a part in that, particularly the soft draw of some of our competition for those spots. But I think that realistically, if the Bombers get a win here, then the aim should shift and the new target should realistically be a top 4 finish at worst.
It's been less than a week since BJG joined the Red and Black, but already the world is a far better place.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Selwood will play... He only split the webbing
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Itsmyshow wrote:I am a realist and personally just wanted to see the young Essendon players grow again this year and the game plan be tweaked a little further, been very happy that not only have both those boxes been ticked, but we are further advanced than that.
This is a big test this week, the Eagles are a genuinely good football side. I tipped the Bombers to finish between 6th and 10th at the start of the year with the draw playing a bit of a part in that, particularly the soft draw of some of our competition for those spots. But I think that realistically, if the Bombers get a win here, then the aim should shift and the new target should realistically be a top 4 finish at worst.
Think it's a bit rich saying we should finish top 4 at worst if we win this week PMS. Wait until we see what happens against Richmond, Melbourne etc - and then Hawthorn/ Geelong.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Royza wrote:Adam Selwood broke a finger, Hams should be rubbed out for cleaning up Swallow. Not big names, but will test their depth further.
2 guys that get a SHITLOAD of free kicks so would help us no doubt.

I think we can win, we played them this time last year when both sides were the most improved at that time and we got up in a pretty good contest.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

All this 'what are we aiming for' and 'are we a top four side' is f****** bullshit. Just aim to win each week. I know it's a cliche but f*** me dead, looking 18 weeks down the track and wondering if we can get a double chance or a home final or any of that shit means nothing now. Just beat West Coast.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Itsmyshow
Top Up Player

Post by Itsmyshow »

Gimps wrote:
Itsmyshow wrote:I am a realist and personally just wanted to see the young Essendon players grow again this year and the game plan be tweaked a little further, been very happy that not only have both those boxes been ticked, but we are further advanced than that.
Think it's a bit rich saying we should finish top 4 at worst if we win this week PMS. Wait until we see what happens against Richmond, Melbourne etc - and then Hawthorn/ Geelong.
Not saying we will.. I am suggesting that we indeed should, based on form, if we were to defeat WC, it would mean victories against two of the in form teams of the competition. Our goal should be shifted to a top 4 finish. Hawthorn and Geelong will be tough, but if we win this week, we could conceivably be 9-1 by Round 10.

Tell me how we should not be thinking top 4 after being 9-1 at Round 10?? I would be disappointed if our current form didn't give us wins against Richmond, GWS and Melbourne.

So I will err on the side of realism and caution based on a win against WC this week, if we were able to get it.
Round 8 Vs Richmond (H) - Win
Round 9 Vs GWS (A) - Win
Round 10 Vs Melbourne (H) - Win
Round 11 Vs Sydney (H) - Loss (Although at home I reckon we will win this).
Means we would go into the bye at 9-2
Round 13 Vs Fremantle (A) - Loss
Round 14 Vs Western Bulldogs (H) - Win
Round 15 Vs St Kilda (A) - Win
Round 16 Vs Port (A) - Win
So heading into the tough finish to the year, we would be 12-3
Round 17 Vs Geelong (A) - Loss
Round 18 Vs Hawthorn (H) - Loss
Round 19 Vs Adelaide (A) - Loss
Tough run of 3 games against very good opposition, but sides that we have been able to beat in recent years leaves us 12-6
Round 20 Vs Kangaroos (H) - Win
Round 21 Vs Carltank (H) - Loss
Round 22 Vs Richmond (A) - Win
Round 23 Vs Collingwood (H) - Loss
Should split the last 4 games, leaving us on 14-8 for the season. But, this list has already shown it can take games away from sides that are ranked above us, so you pick up two or three of those games, with the eveness of the competition, you have a top 4 finish. Beating the Eagles puts us in that position, we all know that isn't exactly how it will all happen, but the Bombers should be aiming for top 4!!!
Even then, a game against Sydney in Round 11 prior to the bye, going into the bye 9-2, our expectation should be top 4.

After the bye we have Fremantle away, Bulldogs, St Kilda and Port, would be disappointed not to win 3 of these. 12-3

Then, Geelong, Hawthorn, Adelaide and the Kangaroos. Win 2 of these 14-5

Finish with Carltank, Richmond and Collingwood - Win 1 of these is 15-7, I would sugges
It's been less than a week since BJG joined the Red and Black, but already the world is a far better place.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

14 or 15 wins won't get us top 4 this year. It is possible that sides will win 12 or 13 games and finish outside the 8.
Itsmyshow
Top Up Player

Post by Itsmyshow »

Ossie wrote:All this 'what are we aiming for' and 'are we a top four side' is f****** bullshit. Just aim to win each week. I know it's a cliche but f*** me dead, looking 18 weeks down the track and wondering if we can get a double chance or a home final or any of that shit means nothing now. Just beat West Coast.
As supporters we can hope for or aim for whatever the **** we like, that's why we are supporters.. People can have an opinion on where they would like to see the side aiming for, internally they will handle their business, externally we can speculate all we ****ing like, and I will continue to do so at my leisure!!!!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I despise West Coast. Hate Worsfold and Sumich (if he's still in their box). Hate the f****** lot of 'em. Hope we go out and knock them off their perch.
Essendunny