Michael Hurley

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Michael Hurley

Post by BenDoolan »

Needs a thread.

Just doesn't look threatening whatsoever. Has been rather lacklustre all season - very bland in fact. Needs a breakout game I reckon. A game where he just dominates the air and kicks a bag of 5 or so.

And next week will be a good start as I reckon Crameri is knackered.
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: Michael Hurley

Post by bomberdonnie »

Needs to lose the long sleeves
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I suppose unlike last year he hasn't had to put on a big match to get us the wins...... but it would be nice and great for his confidence if he did have a dominate game over the next few weeks!!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

He was double teamed quite a few times tonight which didn't help his cause.

And although our disposal around the ground has improved dramatically, we still struggle picking out our key forwards on the lead.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Has to start getting his hands up when going for marks as he gets spoiled too often when going for chest marks.

The effort is there but the ball just isn't sticking at the moment.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robrulz5 wrote:Has to start getting his hands up when going for marks as he gets spoiled too often when going for chest marks.

Agree.

You have confidence when the ball is heading towards Crameri because he generally wins the contested ball. It's the opposite with Hurley this year.
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

robrulz5 wrote:Has to start getting his hands up when going for marks as he gets spoiled too often when going for chest marks.

Do you reckon that's what Hirdy was talking to him about during one of the breaks tonight (they showed them talking at half time I think)?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

swoodley wrote:

Do you reckon that's what Hirdy was talking to him about during one of the breaks tonight (they showed them talking at half time I think)?
Yeah he was talking to him about it at quarter time.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I feel like at the moment he often "looks" like he's about to do something spectacular - take a big grab, split the pack open, kick a long goal etc.
but then it doesn't actually come off. No idea why. It's almost like he's trying too hard?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

billyduckworth wrote:I feel like at the moment he often "looks" like he's about to do something spectacular - take a big grab, split the pack open, kick a long goal etc.
but then it doesn't actually come off. No idea why. It's almost like he's trying too hard?
Yes, that's a good observation. He almost needs to relax more, which is kind of weird to suggest.

Early on in the season (I think the North game) he was in a hurry to move the ball on. I think there were two occasions where he took a contested mark within the F50 and he just dished it off to a player who had someone on their hammer - we lost possession and that was that. He's done that a few times this year in the games he's played.

He's just got to realise that HE'S the man in that situation. He's taken the mark inside 50, just go back and slot the goal.

It'll happen for him because he is a quality talent. It will come together and we will be a far stronger unit than we are at the minute. Both he and Pears will be our solid bookends and everyone in between will be working as a team. It's great to see us in this position without Hurley & Pears in good form.
Essendunny
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

To me it looks like he's rusty and hasn't played a game all year. Last night as usual he presented well and made a contest but just missed out on a number of marks. He seems do all the right things and gets in the right position but just misses out in the end. He's probably a frustrated footballer at the moment. Too good a player to stay down too long, hopefully he smashes Melbourne next week.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

he is getting shocking delivery which is strange cause Crammers and Ryder are getting brilliant delivery but yeah maybe Hurley isn't running to where the mids think he should be?

getting double teamed as a young forward makes it near impossible, even Buddy was rendered useless yesterday being double teamed

we need Hurley in the team as it makes Crameri and Ryder's jobs much easier, it's just a shame Hurley isn't a massive lead up target to break the double team

are his team mates doing enough to help him? are they even instructed to do so?

ill ask the tough questions tomorrow night at the sponsor cocktail night :P
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Delivery to him was shit. Too many times where the mids held onto the ball too long. They need to look up and look for the lead and put it out in front of him.

But, Hurley's disposal was shithouse though, especially the handballs.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Jazz_84 wrote: ill ask the tough questions tomorrow night at the sponsor cocktail night :P
Do it! I'll look forward to your summary of the night :wink:
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Disposal into the forward line was horrid last night - obviously doesnt help. Especially Spike McTurnover's dinky little 9 Iron chips that scream Royal Prince Alfred!!

Hurls is a man trying to prove his 5 year contract and probable mega-bucks. As other posters has suggested, he needs to chill.

I would even give him a run at CHB against the Dees just to take some pressure off him. Especially is Fletcher is out for one more week (and possible depending on Crameri)

He is a player but I have to say, still a way to go before he can be considered in the same league as the game's established Key Forwards
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Mids are not using him when im space. One shocking example was by mcveigh i think in the third. Had hurley in space on lead about 65 out. Instead tried a 2 on 1 on the 50. Turnover.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Seems to be getting lost a bit at the moment.

Either he is leading to the wrong spots, his is mistiming his leads, his teammates are ignoring his leads, or they simply aren't getting the ball to him.

I think it is a case of a combination of all 4 at the moment.

He also seems to be Riewoldting a fair bit at the moment, leading way up to the wings to get the ball. His opponent also seems to be leading him to the ball on occasions. It seemed like countless occasions on Saturday night he was 2-3 steps away from a contest.

Nothing to be overly concerned about at the moment though, in fact last week despite not hitting the scoreboard I thought he played pretty well against Richmond.

As Matty Egan commented in article over the weekend there is no doubt he is going to be a very good player, but he is still going to take sometime and further development. He mentioned how now after 6 seasons in the system Tom Hawkins is finally becoming a dominant power forward. At similar stages in their career, Hurley is that far in front it isn't funny, and that is coming after playing the majority of his junior footy in the backline, as opposed to Hawkins who has always played in the forward line.

At the moment though the forward line is functioning pretty well in the sense that if Hurley isn't kicking goals, Crameri is, and if he isn't Ryder is, and if he isn't Bellchambers is, and then we have Davey kicking about 3 goals a game. Jetta is kicking goals, Gus is kicking goals. Stanton, Watson and Zaharkis are getting forward from the midfield and kicking goals. Very much the Geelong model of having numerous players contributing to the goal scoring.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

PS he needs to lose the 3 quarter length sleeves. Looks stupid. Either wear the full long sleeve jumper or don't.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

ealesy wrote:PS he needs to lose the 3 quarter length sleeves. Looks stupid. Either wear the full long sleeve jumper or don't.
He can wear a f****** tutu as far as I am concerned as long as he starts winning a bit more of the pill and putting the score on the board. He should be at least a 2 goal a game player and that would make this team almost unstoppbale up forward
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:Seems to be getting lost a bit at the moment.

Either he is leading to the wrong spots, his is mistiming his leads, his teammates are ignoring his leads, or they simply aren't getting the ball to him.

I think it is a case of a combination of all 4 at the moment.

He also seems to be Riewoldting a fair bit at the moment, leading way up to the wings to get the ball. His opponent also seems to be leading him to the ball on occasions. It seemed like countless occasions on Saturday night he was 2-3 steps away from a contest.

Nothing to be overly concerned about at the moment though, in fact last week despite not hitting the scoreboard I thought he played pretty well against Richmond.

As Matty Egan commented in article over the weekend there is no doubt he is going to be a very good player, but he is still going to take sometime and further development. He mentioned how now after 6 seasons in the system Tom Hawkins is finally becoming a dominant power forward. At similar stages in their career, Hurley is that far in front it isn't funny, and that is coming after playing the majority of his junior footy in the backline, as opposed to Hawkins who has always played in the forward line.

At the moment though the forward line is functioning pretty well in the sense that if Hurley isn't kicking goals, Crameri is, and if he isn't Ryder is, and if he isn't Bellchambers is, and then we have Davey kicking about 3 goals a game. Jetta is kicking goals, Gus is kicking goals. Stanton, Watson and Zaharkis are getting forward from the midfield and kicking goals. Very much the Geelong model of having numerous players contributing to the goal scoring.
Well, that sums it up pretty well!
Essendunny