Michael Hurley

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
ace076
Regular Senior Player

Michael Hurley

Post by ace076 »

Has yet to play a good game this season IMO. Struggling bad. I cannot understand why we didn't just plonk him in the square nice and deep to try and create a one on one up forward. We kept bombing it to a four on one contest ALL NIGHT! Time to deliver on some of your promise Micky, too many excuses from us supporters, first it was his hand issues, then the cabbie issue, now??
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

Founding Captain of the Bombertalk Blacks.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: Michael Hurley

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Yeah the big boy is struggling at the moment... very low on confidence but I have no doubt that if he gets a bag under his belt over the next few weeks that form slump will start to change.

Could the comeback of Gumby allow him to do that, will take another defender away from him and give him a tad more freedom??
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

He's up against one, sometimes two, of the better backmen now, and needs the delivery to be better. His endeavour when the ball is on the ground is excellent and he still makes opportunity for team mates via the contest.

Where he does need to improve is his kicking. He's a beautiful kick for goal usually, but it seems to have deserted him recently.

His second half in the backline last night was a good thing I think. It'll be an ongoing question...where is he best suited...and until we have another tall forward I think he'll spend most of his time forward. Another tall forward also makes it harder for the opposition to man up better, so the advantages are two fold.

By tall forward, I mean a dedicated tall forward and not a resting ruckman. Of course Gumbleton comes to mind as he's the one we hope can stay fit.

Is there another in the twos that fits the role?
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Hmmm Carlisle was drafted as a forward and COULD still be another tall option up forward but it seems we are definately grooming him as a backman.. when Pears returns maybe Carlisle will spend more time forward??

Joe Daniher is coming in next year and will definately play forward as well as second ruck id imagine.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Yep, Carlisle could go forward. I doubt Pears will be back any time soon, especially if Hurley goes back.

IIRC Carlisle has looked pretty good when playing forward. Great set of hands.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Hmmm Carlisle was drafted as a forward and COULD still be another tall option up forward but it seems we are definately grooming him as a backman.. when Pears returns maybe Carlisle will spend more time forward??

Joe Daniher is coming in next year and will definately play forward as well as second ruck id imagine.
I'll be stunned if Joe plays senior football next season.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

boncer34 wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:Hmmm Carlisle was drafted as a forward and COULD still be another tall option up forward but it seems we are definately grooming him as a backman.. when Pears returns maybe Carlisle will spend more time forward??

I'll be stunned if Joe plays senior football next season.
Nah didn't necessarily mean next season but he will be an option eventually... only other forward we have running around for Bendigo is Ariel Steinberg but even he is playing defence this season and isn't tall enough...
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Hurley's having the same problem Lloyd had since about 2004. Our midfielders just don't give him a chance. Every kick is either on top of his head or to the defender's side. Sydney's pressure made a lot of that unavoidable last night but we just don't kick it to him well enough.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Thread already....

http://www.bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13132

He is in diaboilical form. No excuses. No blaming players up the field. He is just in super shit form.
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Ossie wrote:Hurley's having the same problem Lloyd had since about 2004. Our midfielders just don't give him a chance. Every kick is either on top of his head or to the defender's side. Sydney's pressure made a lot of that unavoidable last night but we just don't kick it to him well enough.
That may well be the case but what is his excuse for failing to take a set shot at goal from inside fifty?

He's getting worse than Jetta used to be in terms of always looking to give the ball off rather than taking the shot himself.

He wasn't signed to the five year mega $$$ contract so that he could lead the league in attempted goal assists ](*,)
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

I think hurls is going pretty well. love him playing up the ground. So strong,busts tackles and moves the ball super quick. His goal kicking however is horrible.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

little_ripper wrote:I think hurls is going pretty well. love him playing up the ground. So strong,busts tackles and moves the ball super quick. His goal kicking however is horrible.
Thankyou for the addition of your soaring intellect to the debate. It adds so much.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

do we have to attack each other? was stating the obvious but hardly anything wrong with it Robbie, ease up
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Don't worry jazz. With robbie its either abusing players or other supporters. The guys a peanut. You can't argue with an idiot.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

The cripple adds nothing.

Why should I go easy on the dopey c*** Jazz? Go back and have a look at the thread That Gimps started on Saturday night. I think you will find that Little Cripple opened the door.

No wonders his mother tried to abort.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

oh well can we at least keep it to that thread then?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Itsmyshow
Top Up Player

Post by Itsmyshow »

My personal view is that Hurls should be playing at CHB. WHEN Gumbledon returns, he will be one of the best forwards in the competition by the end of 2013. Bookmark it.
It's been less than a week since BJG joined the Red and Black, but already the world is a far better place.
boris
On the Rookie List

Post by boris »

Ossie wrote:Hurley's having the same problem Lloyd had since about 2004. Our midfielders just don't give him a chance. Every kick is either on top of his head or to the defender's side. Sydney's pressure made a lot of that unavoidable last night but we just don't kick it to him well enough.
thissssssssssssssssssssss.
electrickery
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Itsmyshow wrote:My personal view is that Hurls should be playing at CHB. WHEN Gumbledon returns, he will be one of the best forwards in the competition by the end of 2013. Bookmark it.

He is a natural defender. He is not a natural forward. He could be a good forward, he would be a GREAT centre half back.

So much depends on the development of Gumby, Carlisle and possible Joe Daniher.

As some of you may have noticed, I have always believed Gumby to be the anaswer if he could only get fit. well it seems that the problems causing his back and hammy injuried has been resolved so it really now a case of wheter he can make it after so many missed games.

In my mind, I have always imgained a team feilding the following KPP (Post Fletcher)

Back Pocket CARLISLE Back Pocket
HOOKER HURLEY Half Back
Wing Mid Wing
Half Fwrd GUMBLETON Half Fwrd
Fwrd Pockwt CRAMERI Fwrd Pocket
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

It's funny how you talk about Hurley being a natural backman and then plonk Carlisle as your full back.

Carlisle was drafted as a forward and I think that he needs to be given a solid run in the forward line if/when Hurley goes back.

I also doubt Crameri's capacity to play long term as a KPP forward....he will always be better as a pocket or flanker with a "roving commission"

Hooker is going to be one of our KPP backmen and is already (imo) the best on our list in that regard.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012