Whats your round 1 team...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Filthy

Whats your round 1 team...

Post by Filthy »

...assuming all fit.

BACKS: MJ (Premiership BP player say no more), Mal (Ditto), Nash (skillful either side of the body and quick).

HB Smokey, Fletch, Natrat (very strong line)

Centres: Stanton, Jobe, Kep (creates impossible match up for kick ins and once marked can give off to players streaming past).

HF: Jim (takes 2nd best back), Scotty (takes 3rd best back), Lovey (takes 5th best back)

F: Davey (takes 6th best back), Lloyd (takes best back), CJ (takes 4th best back)

Ruck: Hille, JJ, Licha (pace out of the middle)

Bench: Chook (changing Ruck and a Fwd mismatch when opportunity presents), Gus (rotating through the centre with a run up Fwd), Campo (rotating through centre), Spike (tagger and centre rotation).

Apologies: Cole, Dempsey (won't be long before he is a regular...for who?), Ricky, Heff, Pev, Ryder (will be a regular by seasons end), Hank and Welsh.

The kids need to play a lot of footy for Bendigo and see how they are travelling in the 2nd half re selection.

Thoughts?
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

I reckon that looks like a bloody good side. Nice work Filth - that backline definitely looks alot stronger than last years. Mal definitely strengthens us up a hell of a lot.

I think that Nash won't be ready for round 1 and i'd probably slip Welsh or McVeigh in his spot.

The onball division is probably the weakest part of our side and im not sure i'd put Licha in the starting lineup - we definitely need his pace though. There is also a lack of skill level in the group of onballers. I'd be more inclined to put Stanton in as rover and put Campo on the wing with Licha coming off the bench. But it doesn't really matter because they all rotate through the middle anyway.

But gee that forward line is colossal - it is seriously one of the best in the league. Lloyd, Lucas and Hird are all A-Grade players capable of being all-australian this year and Lovey, Davey and CJ are all capable of kicking 3 or 4 on a good day.

Hopefully we stay injury free.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Mine would be similar Filth but not quite the same.

FB: M Johnson Michael Bradley

HB: Mcphee Fletcher Natrat

C: Stanton Watson Lovett

HF: Hird Lucas Monfries

FF: Davey Lloyd Johns

Followers: Hille J Johnson Winderlich

Bench: Mcveigh Laycock Welsh Slattery.

I'm sure ive forgotten someone though...

FB: MJ, Michael pick themselves, and i was impressed with Bradley the other day, after losing some weight seems to be a bit quicker and did a good job on Lucas.

HB: Very strong, no need to explain.

C: Stants and Lovett give pace on the wings, while Jobe showed us his abilites as a center last year.

HF: Hird, Lucas obvious choices, and Monfries did well and will spend more time in the middle.

FF: Davey, ideal crumber, Lloyd is Lloyd and CJ will have it easier with the 3rd or 4th tall defender.

Followers: Hille is no.1 ruck atm, JJ will be back to his best, and Winderlich is looking the goods.

Bench: Mcveigh will come on and play in the midfield or as a stopper. Laycock as second ruck but could be no.1 by seasons end. Welsh, did well on Saturday and could play through the middle. Slattery, another stopping option in the midfield or down back.

That last position could have also gone to Dempsey, Nash, even maybe Hislop, and plenty of others. Think as Filth said Ryder could be in the 22 by the end of the year, but I can't see where, our talls look good.

Its actually quite a nice team on paper. :D
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

The first of a great many threads on this exact subject. :roll: But I will have a crack regardless.

01-31-26
33-22-42
02-24-10
05-25-06
13-18-21
19-14-04
17-27-11-08

Cannot believe you guys not having McVeigh on the ground. He was outstanding last year. Also, no disrespect to both of you, but I find it very difficult to pick a new player in our best 22 at this stage of the year. No matter how well Davey did in a little praccy match, his football has all been played at SANFL level and will take a little while to adjust to the intensity of AFL.

This is in IMO the best 22 at this stage, but no doubt it will look different at the end of the year if some of the kids come on. But no matter how good the kids look, or how much they are talked up (keep in mind that every team in the comp has the 'best recruits ever' in January), you can't expect them to set the world in fire in their first year. Very few new recruits do.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

Code: Select all

Johnson         Michael       Slattery
McPhee          Fletcher      Lovett - Murray
Lovett            Johnson      Bradley
Monfries        Lucas          Johns
Hird              Lloyd          Davey

Hille             McVeigh        Stanton

Laycock, Camporeale, Watson, Jetta
Hird in FP to play as another leading target, he is very smart and will create a lead that we couldnt think possiable.

Watson, McVeigh rotate off bench
Jetta & Davey rotate the other FP
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Staggy the reason I have Davey in the team is because i think he is best suited at playing the forward pocket crumbing role. Lovett should be played up the ground in my opinion and Gus should be a flanker or in the midfield. That leaves Davey as the best crumber. He can read it well and has pace and agility, and remember he is already 22.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Who'd be a selector? :shock: :D

The question for me relates to specific jobs.

Who will take the kick in's? Fletch is a master at this, long and accurate to boot. Bradley might be the perfect long distance target.

LIoyd will obviously be a major focus. Will they all get in his way?
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

B: MJ MM Slattery
HB: McPhee Fletch NLM (seems to be a common choice!!!)
C: Dyson Jobe Lovett
HF: McVeigh Lucas Monfries
FF: Hird Lloyd Johns

Rucks: Hille, JJ, Licha
Bench: Bradley, Dempsey, Laycock, Campo

Emergencies: Cole, Ryder, Welsh

Hird as the crumbing forward (not many better particularly at boundry throw ins). Can't put untried players like Davey in at this stage. Dyson to have a big year off a wing through the midfield.

Anyone have problems with McViegh on a half forward flank??? One of the best kicks in the team so he should play closer to goal (IMO).
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Gossy wrote:Staggy the reason I have Davey in the team is because i think he is best suited at playing the forward pocket crumbing role. Lovett should be played up the ground in my opinion and Gus should be a flanker or in the midfield. That leaves Davey as the best crumber. He can read it well and has pace and agility, and remember he is already 22.
Have you ever seen Davey play a competitive match? (and intra-club practice matches don't count).

I would suggest that the answer is no, unless you watch a lot of SANFL.

If that is the case (that you have either NEVER seen him play, or seen him play very very few times), then how can you have such a high opinion of him? Its because of what the media, Essendon and other Essendon fans are feeding you.

My point is that this time of year, everyone is universally positive about new recruits, and often, the final product doesn't match the hype. Be very careful before taking what you read as the gospel truth, that's all.

Davey might suck, or he might be awesome, who knows? Personally, I wouldn't put a player in my best 22 until I have actually seen him play with my own eyes and formed an opinion myself. But that's just me I guess, each to his own.
ppops
Top Up Player

Post by ppops »

MJ............Michael........Welsh
Mcphee.....Fletch.....L- Murray
Bradley.....Stanton......Watson
Lovett.......Lucas...........Johns
Hird..........Lloyd...........Davey

Rucks: Hille, JJ, Dyson

Bench: Laycock, Camporeale, McVeigh, Monfries
Emergencies: Gumbleton, Slattery, Winderlich

Wow, it's hard to eliminate players.

edit: fixed
Last edited by ppops on Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

ppops wrote:MJ............Michael........Welsh
Mcphee.....Fletch.....L- Murray
MJ............Stanton......Watson
Lovett.......Lucas...........Johns
Hird..........Lloyd...........Davey

Rucks: Hille, JJ, Dyson

Bench: Bradley, Laycock, Camporeale, McVeigh
Emergencies: Gumbleton, Monfries, Slattery

Wow, it's hard to eliminate players.
MJ playing two positions?
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Staggy wrote:
Gossy wrote:Staggy the reason I have Davey in the team is because i think he is best suited at playing the forward pocket crumbing role. Lovett should be played up the ground in my opinion and Gus should be a flanker or in the midfield. That leaves Davey as the best crumber. He can read it well and has pace and agility, and remember he is already 22.
Have you ever seen Davey play a competitive match? (and intra-club practice matches don't count).

I would suggest that the answer is no, unless you watch a lot of SANFL.

If that is the case (that you have either NEVER seen him play, or seen him play very very few times), then how can you have such a high opinion of him? Its because of what the media, Essendon and other Essendon fans are feeding you.

My point is that this time of year, everyone is universally positive about new recruits, and often, the final product doesn't match the hype. Be very careful before taking what you read as the gospel truth, that's all.

Davey might suck, or he might be awesome, who knows? Personally, I wouldn't put a player in my best 22 until I have actually seen him play with my own eyes and formed an opinion myself. But that's just me I guess, each to his own.
You are right, I have only watched him play in two SANFL matches last season, plus highlights, the intra match and a little bit of training. That is what I am basing my knowledge on. Also the fact that he was drafted at 22 years old, therefore will be expected to play early on. He played in the better team on Saturday so he has obviously been impressing someone important at the club too.

What I have seen of him i liked, and believe that with Monfries on a flank and Lovett on a wing, he is the best option as the roving forward in my opinion. From what I have seen I have made an opinion and that is what it is. :D
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Gossy wrote:

You are right, I have only watched him play in two SANFL matches last season, plus highlights, the intra match and a little bit of training. That is what I am basing my knowledge on. Also the fact that he was drafted at 22 years old, therefore will be expected to play early on. He played in the better team on Saturday so he has obviously been impressing someone important at the club too.

What I have seen of him i liked, and believe that with Monfries on a flank and Lovett on a wing, he is the best option as the roving forward in my opinion. From what I have seen I have made an opinion and that is what it is. :D
Fair enough Skip. 8)

Good to see you are basing your opinion on something that you have seen with your own eyes, rather than mere speculation.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Cheers mate. I can understand where you are coming from though as every year the new draftees get spoken about heaps. I have not seen enough of the other draftees against men to put them in the team, but I've seen some good signs from them too.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

mine:

B: McVeigh Michael M.Johnson

HB: McPhee Fletcher N.L-M

C: Stanton Watson Bradley

HF: Hird Lucas Lovett

F: Johns Lloyd Davey

R: Hille J.Johnson Winderlich

Bench: Gumby, Campo, Welsh, Ryder

Emer: Laycock, Dempsy, Monfries

thoughts?
hard to choose from monfries and dyson? there like same players just dyson's a little bigger.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
gottalovett
Top Up Player

Post by gottalovett »

monfries by a country mile
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ramanama wrote:mine:

B: McVeigh Michael M.Johnson

HB: McPhee Fletcher N.L-M

C: Stanton Watson Bradley

HF: Hird Lucas Lovett

F: Johns Lloyd Davey

R: Hille J.Johnson Winderlich

Bench: Gumby, Campo, Welsh, Ryder

Emer: Laycock, Dempsy, Monfries

thoughts?
hard to choose from monfries and dyson? there like same players just dyson's a little bigger.
:?:
Just wondering how on earth you could leave out Angus Monfries ahead of Davey, and Campo? You say it was hard to choose between Monfries and Dyson, yet you haven't picked Dyson :?
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

For mine, we have a good list, and I would build the spine and then work my way out from there...

In the kpp dept, we are definately much stronger than last year with the following players most likely for the relevant positions listed...

FB....Michael/Fletcher
CHB.Michael/Fletcher/Lucas
Ctr...Johnson/Watson
CHF..Lucas/Johns/Michael/Lloyd
FF.....Lloyd/Johns/Lucas

Throw in some emerging and talented youngsters such as Gumbleton, Kep, Ryder, etc... and add Laycock/Hille up forward when resting and we have both a devastating and extremely flexible spine where any number of players can be rotated through positions creating match up hell for our opponents.

Having said all that, the thing that killed us in many games last year was our disposal and decision making and if these areas don't improve and we don't get quick clean ball up forward and keep it there, then we will again struggle...
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

B. Nash Michael M.Johnson
HB. McPhee Fletch NLM
C. Stants Watson Winderlich
HF. Dyson Lucas Hird
F. Lovett Lloyd Monfires
R. Hille JJ McVeigh
IC. Welsh Campo Laycock Johns

EM. Cole Kep Pev

Can see Cole forcing his way into the side, not sure at who's expense though. Maybe Woosha?
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

McVeigh Mal MJ
McPhee Fletch NLM
Stanton Watson Campo
Hird Lucas Lovett
Laycock Lloyd Monfries

R: Hille JJ Pev
IC: Bradley, Welsh, CJ, Dyson

My default lineup. Haven't seen enough of the new guys to make way for them. Not sure about CJ & Lloyd working together so left CJ on the bench as another forward option. Have Laycock as a resting ruck. Hird would still have the license to float wherever. Bradley would come on as a taller option wherever. Dyson as a smaller option if side becomes too tall & also as a rotation for the wings/forwards. Welsh as a spare back if McVeigh/MJ are moved through the midfield/forward rotations. Side looks flexible with a quality spine.