Depth

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Depth

Post by Windy_Hill »

Super win tonight - they seriously looked good.

The thing I kept thinking during the game was Bellchambers,Colyer, Zaharakis, Winderlich, Pears, McVeigh, Gumbleton, Davey, Monfries, Davey, Prismall, Slattery

Depth

Not all the above listed players are ready to walk into the team and in fact, only 2-3 could be considered in our best 22, But between them they have played 1019 games of senior footy.

Thats exactly what you want with your squad players 23-35

And we dont even know what to expect from the likes of Brown, Merrett, O'Brien, Kavanagh, et
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Depth

Post by j-mac31 »

You mentioned Davey twice. We'd have three times as much depth if you listed each of those players three times (and Davey six I guess).

Zachariah is the only definite best 22 of the lot, Davey has played liked it this season. I do like Colyer and Bellchambers is essentially switching with Hille.

The rest you've mentioned are either shit, always injured or haven't played at all/enough to count.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

j-mac31 wrote:You mentioned Davey twice. We'd have three times as much depth if you listed each of those players three times (and Davey six I guess).

Zachariah is the only definite best 22 of the lot, Davey has played liked it this season. I do like Colyer and Bellchambers is essentially switching with Hille.

The rest you've mentioned are either shit, always injured or haven't played at all/enough to count.
Um, thanks for picking up the typo -its great to have that service in the forum

I think with all due repsect you have missed the point. I actually stated that perhaps only 2-3 are best 22. I was commenting on the depth of EXPERIENCED players we have.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Well whoop-dee-do.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

j-mac31 wrote:Well whoop-dee-do.

now now, no need to be an ass
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:Well whoop-dee-do.

now now, no need to be an ass
Like I said, Zachariah is very good and I am a fan of both Colyer and Bellchambers (and Gumy and Browne FWIW) but the guys you mentioned have mostly done a combined nothing at AFL level. ANd have done plenty of shitness.

The list hardly inspires visions of grandeur is what I'm getting at.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Davey has been one of our best this year J-Mac. But yes, other than Zaka, Belly & Colyer (to a lessor extent), the rest are shit. Throw Dyson in, who had been pretty bloody good this year too.

But, there is depth there, which makes Windy's point valid.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Depth is great, however McVeigh and Slats probably don't offer much anymore. The long term injured players will need to get miles into their legs, and game time. Gumbleton is the only one doing that.

Zaharakis, Davey, Bellchambers, Colyer, Pears, Monfries, Dyson...awaiting their opportunity to return.

Gumbleton, Winderlich, Prismall...need games under their belts.

McVeigh, Slattery...might be past it. McV offers little these days. Slats is a hard nut and might have a role, but he'd be very lucky if so.

Brown, Merrett, O'Brien, Kavanagh...the future, as yet untried.

Good thread though. It's certainly looking rosier than many might have thought this time last year.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Time to bring back the Gardening thread Windy :wink: :wink: :wink:
Essendunny
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Bellchambers, Colyer and Dyson are the only one's you would seriously consider for depth. The rest of that list are either injured, suspended or retarded. It's players that have come into the team recently such as Reimers, Dell'Olio and Lonergan that are our depth players. Maybe we should be talking about them...
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

ZeroEffect wrote:Bellchambers, Colyer and Dyson are the only one's you would seriously consider for depth. The rest of that list are either injured, suspended or retarded. It's players that have come into the team recently such as Reimers, Dell'Olio and Lonergan that are our depth players. Maybe we should be talking about them...

I am sure you left out Zaharakis unintentionally. And whilst Monfries is everyone's whipping boy, he's not a bad "in" should Dell'Olio need a break next week. Pears is a quality player who is sadly, very out of form and I am pretty sure that Winderlich (2 weeks away from recommencing playing) is better than "retarded"

Again, the point I am making is that our squad depth is very strong. These players all have extensive AFL experience and that counts for something surely.

Personally I am surprised that this is being questioned by so many. I would have thought its one of the cornerstones to our success in a year when so many players have lost 2-3 weeks due to injury. Our ability to cover those injuries has been remarkable.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I think our list is in pretty good shape. We have a spare ruckman, which in Hille and Ryder's case gives us a spare forward as well. We have Carlisle, Hurley and Ryder who can play forward or back. Dyson and Colyer have both shown they can contribute, with fringe players Del and Reimers looking likely as well.

Zaka and Froggy to come back, I don't think there are too many other clubs with the selection dilemas we're facing.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

This thread lost me at Slattery
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

bomberdonnie wrote:This thread lost me at Slattery
Yawn.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Windy_Hill wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:This thread lost me at Slattery
Yawn.
This post lost me at Windy_Hill
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Windy_Hill wrote:
ZeroEffect wrote:Bellchambers, Colyer and Dyson are the only one's you would seriously consider for depth. The rest of that list are either injured, suspended or retarded. It's players that have come into the team recently such as Reimers, Dell'Olio and Lonergan that are our depth players. Maybe we should be talking about them...

I am sure you left out Zaharakis unintentionally. And whilst Monfries is everyone's whipping boy, he's not a bad "in" should Dell'Olio need a break next week. Pears is a quality player who is sadly, very out of form and I am pretty sure that Winderlich (2 weeks away from recommencing playing) is better than "retarded"

Again, the point I am making is that our squad depth is very strong. These players all have extensive AFL experience and that counts for something surely.

Personally I am surprised that this is being questioned by so many. I would have thought its one of the cornerstones to our success in a year when so many players have lost 2-3 weeks due to injury. Our ability to cover those injuries has been remarkable.
Windy_Hill, you missed the point of my post. What I was trying to say in simple terms is that the list you have conjured up isn't a depth list, it's just a list of players that weren't playing last night. Therefore this thread has gone down the wrong track, I just tried putting it back on coarse by actually naming some of our depth players.

I didn't leave out either Zaharakis or Monfries intentionally or unintentionally. They are both injured. I like most people happen to think both are in our best 22 therefore they aren't depth players.

I agree with you, our depth is great and it's one of the reasons we have been so successful this year. I don't think anyone is questioning our depth at all they are just questioning what your saying about it.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

What has happened to Pears? Is he still alive?

Seems to have disappeared since going out of the team with the foot issue. Not listed on the injury list.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

We have ruck depth, we have small forward depth, we are even developing depth in the back line smalls. Where we dont have a lot of depth is our mid-field, and that is where it is most needed. We have an A+, an A, and 3 solid B graders. Collingwood have 2 A+, another 2 A, and 4 B graders. Some of that can be made up with improvment over the next couple of years, but we really need to go and get one or two more to push through to a constant flag contender.

I still have also have concerns about our key backs. I dont know if Pears will ever come through, and Carlisle and Hooker while look to be good long term solutions, they are still a few years away from their best footy, and Hooker's decision making under pressure continues to be a concern.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

danstar84 wrote:What has happened to Pears? Is he still alive?

Seems to have disappeared since going out of the team with the foot issue. Not listed on the injury list.
That is what is so annoying about the clubs injury list...Pears was battling knee issues but should be right to play either seniors or VFL this week.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Windy_Hill wrote:Super win tonight - they seriously looked good.

The thing I kept thinking during the game was Bellchambers,Colyer, Zaharakis, Winderlich, Pears, McVeigh, Gumbleton, Davey, Monfries, Davey, Prismall, Slattery

Depth

Not all the above listed players are ready to walk into the team and in fact, only 2-3 could be considered in our best 22, But between them they have played 1019 games of senior footy.

Thats exactly what you want with your squad players 23-35

And we dont even know what to expect from the likes of Brown, Merrett, O'Brien, Kavanagh, et
How's our depth looking?