Is Davey ready?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.

Is Davey ready to play AFL football?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 18

Filthy

Is Davey ready?

Post by Filthy »

Some have queried whether he is ready to step up. I can only go on reports from china plates who were there and reports. They say he is because he has got "it" and at 22 is like Lovey when he stepped up.

From the Club website:

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=5006

Davey causes a stir

Monday, 22 January 2007

Alwyn Davey has told the football world to stand up and take notice after he impressed teammates and supporters alike during an intra-club match on the weekend. Kicking three goals and racking up numerous possessions, Davey proved handy up forward in a role he hopes to adopt when the real stuff begins.

However, despite impressing fellow teammates and coaching staff with his performance, Davey said he has quickly learned a lot more hard work lies ahead if he is to consistently play senior football this season.

"I think I did alright. My performance wasn’t too bad. It was a good game in which all of the players pulled together and had a decent hit out," Davey explained.

"I was happy that I was able to kick three but when you look at it, it was really just like a normal game where I’m expected to get out there and kick goals. So it wasn’t anything special.

"I’ve pulled up a bit sore in the legs but they should be alright. I’m going to get a massage at the club tomorrow so I will be right."

Fitness and strength are the two areas Davey hopes to improve on in the coming weeks.

"After a game like that it is obvious that I still need to work on my body and I need to get a bit more fitness in me which will hopefully improve my game improve," he revealed.

"With a bit of luck I will get a couple of games this year but in order to do so I know I need to focus on the key areas of my game. I plan to concentrate on my goal kicking and working with the rest of the forward line."

With the Bombers first competitive match less than three weeks away against the Indigenous All Stars in Darwin, Davey is hopeful that he may gain another opportunity to test his ability against some of the best in the business.

"I’m really looking forward to the trip up to Darwin. It would be a great opportunity for any player to take part in, especially being an indigenous player myself," he said.

"The All Stars line-up is impressive so hopefully I will get a chance to play for Essendon in such an exciting match."

And with his brother and Melbourne spearhead Aaron Davey looking likely to make an appearance for the All Stars, the game looks set to become quite a family affair.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

From that article, maybe. Says he pulled up sore after the intra-club match although he might get better in that area once he has a few more miles in his legs and a few games under his belt.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Bloody hope so. Another reason for Bomber fans to look forward to season 07. At the very least, having guys like him playing in the magoo's should put some serious pressure on the blokes above him to perform. :wink:
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Crowny wrote:From that article, maybe. Says he pulled up sore after the intra-club match although he might get better in that area once he has a few more miles in his legs and a few games under his belt.
I would say most, if not all of the players would have pulled up sore after the match. It was one of their first competitve hit outs with full contact and all. No matter how much you train, the first match will always take it out of you because there is a lot of running, sprinting and contact.
I would say that every player was a little sore the next day.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

I'll second that Gossy - i'm really not looking forward to the Sunday after our first practice match for the year (the one im playin in btw) - i reckon everyone cops it after the first game for a while.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Well alot of people beleive he is ready to play, but i have to see for my own eyes i think.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

He's ready. He reminded me of a rampant Wizard...quick, low slung, good goal sense.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

He is a mature age player - he either steps right into it or he never will.

He was not drafted with a plan to ease him into footy over 3-4 years as is the case with young recruits