Essendon v Hawthorn (pre game discussion)

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Essendon v Hawthorn (pre game discussion)

Post by BenDoolan »

Bloody Hell. I fear for this Friday Night. We've been smashed by the Saints and the Cats and I think we'll see something similar against the Hawks. Thank f*** Lance Franklin aint playing. It will probably ensure we don't lose by 100+.

I'll be heading into the ground with a lot of dread.

Who will come in this week? Pears? Hocking available? Lonergan? We need some grunt out there on the field as we were pushed around fairly easily last Friday night.
Essendunny
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: Essendon v Hawthorn (pre game discussion)

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Was at the Hawks/Pies game yesterday and were the game at the MCG as it was last year, i would be fearing a 10+ goal loss. The fact it's at Etihad gives us the opportunity to at least be competitive i think, but i still expect a 6-8 goal loss. If we pick up a few more 10+ goal losses for the year (after having had two in the last 3 weeks) i'd be prepared to say we've barely improved at all on last year.

Baguley should come out for Pears. Hocking should come in, perhaps for NLM. Kavanagh must be close to earning a spot, and Monfries must be dropped (hopefully permanently); if not Kavanagh, then Lonergan. Hille would be dropped if Ryder were fit or if we had a 4th ruck option.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Trying to carry the slightest bit of optimism into this week's game as I don't like to think we aren't no chance at all. I wouldn't be surprised if we won, yet no one in their right mind could confidently say we're a choo in (spelling) based on current form. I think it would take a mighty effort to get over the Hawks and to win we would need all things to go right (e.g. bounce of the ball, umpiring decisions & players skills spot on). The fact that it's at Etihad is definitely in our favour, the Hawks were a bit sluggish early on against the Dogs a week or two ago, so if we can get a good start who knows.

But realistically, just pray to God we don't get annihilated and that it's a good contest and we can walk away with something from the match. I thought the Geelong game we weren't too bad in the first half, except for being blown away by their explosive and aggressive start. We pegged it back and had it back to 10 points. Leroy scores that goal and it may have been different. Those two late goals in the 2nd killed the game and they continued on with it from there. The Hawks are an awesome team and it'll be tough. I like the challenge. I really hope this is one out of the bag this week but fear it may be the Cyril milestone game show, a la Milney show against Saints 3 weeks ago.

Also hoping for a strong Essendon contingent in the stands and that people aren't boycotting in fear of a thrashing. If we can get a sniff and the crowd can get involved who knows! Clutching at straws I know but I'm going into this week with a more positive outlook.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

We need really hard nuts for this game.

Hocking, (obviously) plus Sammy for a start. I would like to see Pears in and Hooker will remain as we have no other tall options for the backline. Hille will probably stay for similar reasons.

Monfries must go out. It's time like this that our outs really become apparent.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I really wouldn't be shocked if we win this game.

On form we should be no chance but this is a funny season and if they are off there game 5% and we are up then we can take it up to them. I wouldn't expect Franklin to play and I think our forwards could expose them for height. We need to win the midfield battle.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

On current form I expect anything from 15 - 20 goal loss. If everything goes right, I reckon we might get within 5 goals. They are that far in front of us at the moment it's not funny.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

We'll win.

15 points.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Was at the Hawks/Pies game yesterday and were the game at the MCG as it was last year, i would be fearing a 10+ goal loss. The fact it's at Etihad gives us the opportunity to at least be competitive i think, but i still expect a 6-8 goal loss. If we pick up a few more 10+ goal losses for the year (after having had two in the last 3 weeks) i'd be prepared to say we've barely improved at all on last year.

Baguley should come out for Pears. Hocking should come in, perhaps for NLM. Kavanagh must be close to earning a spot, and Monfries must be dropped (hopefully permanently); if not Kavanagh, then Lonergan. Hille would be dropped if Ryder were fit or if we had a 4th ruck option.

Hille was such a liability on Friday night I would be considering dropping him for the game anyway.

Tell Bellchambers that if he really believes he's the number 1 ruckman at the club, now is his chance to prove it. I mean we've always got Natrat to give him a chopout.

Hocking would have to come in, talk last week was that Hird expected Hurley to come back this week but I would give him another week unless he's cherry ripe, not sure how Pig Hibberd's injury was, but if available he must come in. Kav would be pretty close to a gig with his continued good form at Bendigo, and Pears must be getting close to another shot in the seniors.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I've got free piss at the game this week, at least I can drink myself into a coma without hurting my pocket..
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Big fear of a belting this week and if the same happens against Adelaide after that too, three big losses in a row unfortunately dints confidence.
The crazy thing is that we will probably limp into the 8, even if we only win another game or two, but then isn't "limping into the 8" becoming a bit of a pattern for us? Makes you wonder whether we really have made any progress this year or not.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Play Kav.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

They just whooped Collingwood without Franklin and Hodge is back this week.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

how did Crameri run the game out the other night? anyone notice anything cause he didn't train today with an apparant hammy complain, hope it's all just to make sure he gets on the park

can we just forfeit the next 2 weeks and go into the winnable games fresh and full of talent to pick from?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Jazz_84 wrote:how did Crameri run the game out the other night? anyone notice anything cause he didn't train today with an apparant hammy complain, hope it's all just to make sure he gets on the park

can we just forfeit the next 2 weeks and go into the winnable games fresh and full of talent to pick from?
No!

Maybe sacrifice this week. Not next week, I'm going to the game in Radelaide, don't want to see a belting and cop it from the ****** bogans!
bomber91
Top Up Player

Post by bomber91 »

Pears in for Hooker (who has been poor the last few weeks)
Hocking in for NLM
Kav in for Melksham (when will this bloke get dropped seriously!)
Maybe Winders in for Dell

Whichever way you look at it it's going to take a massive effort to get close in this one... no Ryder + no Hurley = no chance imo

also.. does anyone know what's the deal with Hibberd, surely he's a walk-in for Baguley when he's fit
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Playing the best team in the comp. forget Sydney or Adelaide.

So it'll be tough. it's a home game at the dome so that's good.

Despite injuries and their form I think it Will be closer than our last meeting.

Hard to imagine a win. But I do think the hawks are one side the club would have studied hard.

stopping rioli. What s the match up?
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Gimps wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:how did Crameri run the game out the other night? anyone notice anything cause he didn't train today with an apparant hammy complain, hope it's all just to make sure he gets on the park

No!

Maybe sacrifice this week. Not next week, I'm going to the game in Radelaide, don't want to see a belting and cop it from the ****** bogans!
was actually talking about forfeiting as in not even turning up to the ground and was kidding also... this is Hawthorn, we need to hit them hard, can't disrespect this rivalry

im going to Adelaide too and would love a win, mainly to shove in my mates face he is no different to the rest of the cocky bastards!!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Kingy just said in his chat blog today that Crameri is fine.... but would he know?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Jazz_84 wrote:Kingy just said in his chat blog today that Crameri is fine.... but would he know?
What did he say about the team in general?
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Jazz_84 wrote:
Gimps wrote:

No!

was actually talking about forfeiting as in not even turning up to the ground and was kidding also... this is Hawthorn, we need to hit them hard, can't disrespect this rivalry

im going to Adelaide too and would love a win, mainly to shove in my mates face he is no different to the rest of the cocky bastards!!
I'll wave to you from the corporate box I'm in. It's one of their outdoor ones. Still a chance to get spat on.