Crameri or Griffen?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Crameri or Griffen?

Post by robbie67 »

Based on the fact we all know we have to give up something very good to get something very good, would you be willing to give up Crameri for Ryan Griffen?

I would probably lean towards no, but it would be a really hard choice, but Griffen would be at the bottom end of the scale for what I would want in return for Stewie.

What are some of the more realistic options we have to attract an elite or potentially elite mid? And please, can we not have the usual package of crap players offered up? Not even Santa will give us Caddy for Monfries.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: Crameri or Griffen?

Post by Gimps »

If we knew we could keep a team on the park, I would say yes.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Stanton's currency has rocketed up this year. As Essendon supporters we all know he's solid without being outstanding and he's starting to get back to that now we are losing. Swapping Stanton for Griffen would be a huge win. Hell throw in our third round pick.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

ZeroEffect wrote:Stanton's currency has rocketed up this year. As Essendon supporters we all know he's solid without being outstanding and he's starting to get back to that now we are losing. Swapping Stanton for Griffen would be a huge win. Hell throw in our third round pick.
While that might make us a "little" better, it doesnt add any depth to our mid-field rotations. So I would say no to this one also.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

This is a good call Rob.

We need one more classy midfielder and we have certainly one (or two) talls who are surplus to requirements, especially with Joe Daniher starting next year.

Our long term talls, everything going well, are as follows:

Back: Pears, Hooker, Carlisle
Rucks: Ryder, Bellchambers
Forward: Hurley, Crameri, Gumbleton, Daniher.

I guess who we could trade is all about what value you place on the players.

We won't trade Hurley, Ryder, or Daniher.

That leaves us with Hooker, Pears, Carlisle, Bellchambers, Crameri and Gumbleton.

If we traded Bellchambers, Crameri or Carlisle we'd be likely to get a good deal. We may get a decent deal for Hooker. We'd be unlikely to get much for Pears or Gumbleton.

Interestingly enough, Mark Robinson stated today in a live chat that he's heard Pears is on the table and is likely to get games in the last 6 weeks of the year to bolster his value.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

And also, in terms of trades, i'd much prefer a younger midfielder with 20-30 games under the belt (but potential), rather than Griffin who's 26 now and will be getting towards 30 by the time we're pushing for a flag.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I'm hopeless at these hypotheticals. I hate the thought of letting someone like Crameri go - even if it's to get a top class middy.

Would other clubs consider Crameri to be worthy of letting one of their better players go? It's amazing how far Crameri has come in the space of 18 months. I love what he brings to the table and would rather him running around in our forward line.

Could we offer a Jetta or a Dempsey or both? Depends what other club's needs are I guess. Hooker, Pears perhaps?
Essendunny
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Crammers is an untouchable. One of the First picked and almost the complete footballer.

And our coach loves him.

If the dons were to put a player on the table ( and i don't think we will ). It'd be one of our tall defenders.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Staggy wrote:Our long term talls, everything going well, are as follows:

Back: Pears, Hooker, Carlisle
Rucks: Ryder, Bellchambers
Forward: Hurley, Crameri, Gumbleton, Daniher.
One of the backs could definitely be traded and see Hurley go back to the backline, especially if Gumbleton can stay on the park or Daniher comes on quickly. (which is probably what I would be looking to do)
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Also I would not trade Crameri for anything but the best few midfielders in the comp. He is too good when fit - he can both mark on the lead or create something from a loose ball.
Definitely would not trade him for Griffin.

Also FWIW I don't really consider him to play "tall", given his quickness, his ability at ground level and the fact that he's similar height to Timmy.
GoalSneak
Top Up Player

Post by GoalSneak »

I would trade just about every player on our list before I traded Crameri.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

GoalSneak wrote:I would trade just about every player on our list before I traded Crameri.
Yes, I would too, but what do you want to talk about? The fact Freo may give us John McArthy or whatever the shit truck's name is for NLM?
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Absolutely NOT !!! I dont rate Ryan Griffen that highly.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

My speculation and hypotheticals are about as objective as Ben's

Fletcher for Harvey.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Is it wise trading Pears when Fletch's career is coming to an end?? We don't want to be too light on down back unless Hurls will move back there??
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

If Gumbleton gets through the rest of this season alright, I would be thinking of moving Hurley back anyway.

Hooker is still shaky, Pears can't get on the field and Carlisle still has plenty of work to do. And at the other end, Ryder and Daniher figure to end up with plenty of forward line time.