Pev's make or break year

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Filthy

Pev's make or break year

Post by Filthy »

I love the guys attitude and guts but you have to ask the question....is he in our best 22 if you have most of blokes available.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html

Play well or I'll be gone - Peverill
24 January 2007 Herald-Sun
Rebecca Williams

VETERAN Essendon midfielder Damien Peverill has conceded 2007 is a make or break year for his football career.

Peverill, who turns 28 in July, admitted yesterday his form at stages last year "wasn't that flash" and he couldn't afford a repeat this season.

The former rookie-listed player signed a one-year contract extension for 2007 and said he was determined to repay the club's faith and extend his career at Windy Hill.

"Once you get to 27 or 28, every year coming out of contract is a make or break year," Peverill said.

"I'm getting into the old age bracket of footballers now.

"If I don't play well this year I'll most likely be gone. Most guys my age realise that and understand that.

"The pressure is on, so we'll see how we go. If I don't get a kick, I'm in a bit of trouble."

Peverill struggled for form in the early stages of 2006, playing just six senior games in the first 10 Rounds.

He played 17 games for the season, but it was the Bombers' narrow loss to St Kilda in Round 15 that proved to be the turning point.

The tagger amassed a season-high 34 touches against the Saints, sparking a strong finish to the year in which he averaged 26.6 touches in eight games from Round 15 to 22.

Peverill admitted it had been a frustrating season.

"It was a disappointing year for the club and for myself personally, it wasn't that flash," he said.

"Most guys go through a bit of a slump in their career and unfortunately it was my turn last year for the first half of the year.

"The first half was really frustrating and a hard pill to swallow for myself personally. But the way I finished off the year was pretty encouraging.

"Hopefully, I can start this year the way I finished off last year and keep that form throughout the whole year.

"I'm looking to get my spot back in the 22 in the pre-season and stay in there for the 22 games, plus hopefully finals."

Peverill, who has played 115 games since his debut in 2001, said coach Kevin Sheedy had been supportive, while also reminding him of the job ahead.

"He hasn't said, 'This is a make or break year', but he walks past occasionally and has a few words in your ear every now and then," Peverill said.

"He hasn't said, 'It's your last chance or you're gone'. It's all been really encouraging.

"Personally, I want to play well and as a coach he wants his senior players to be playing well also.

"He is doing everything he can to get guys up like myself and Jason Johnson, who struggled for a bit of last year.

"He is doing everything he can to make sure we have a good year this year."
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

If Pev can repeat his last half of 2006 then he is in our best 22.

When he has needed to impress, Pev has always done so. His emergence as a rookie was fantastic to watch, week after week.

Last year, he reminded me of that work rate. He can still do it, and if he does it enough, then I'd forgive him the occasional skill blemish.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

28 :shock: my god. I thought he was younger. He has the talent just needs to show it but last year wasn't great for any player really except maybe Lucas.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Yes he is easily in our 22 if he is in the form he was in for the last 8 rounds of last season. His pace is decieving too, he isnt slow by any means.

A food FULL season from JJ and Pev allong with the continued form (or better still continued development) of Stanton and Watto will go a log way towards us making the 8 next season.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He is a rare player who can play very defensive and still pick up 30 possesions that contribute in an attacking way.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

F111 wrote:If Pev can repeat his last half of 2006 then he is in our best 22.

When he has needed to impress, Pev has always done so. His emergence as a rookie was fantastic to watch, week after week.

Last year, he reminded me of that work rate. He can still do it, and if he does it enough, then I'd forgive him the occasional skill blemish.

Ditto
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

"Here, here" Have always loved him (naturally... :) )and the way he just keeps finding the pill, a skill not necessarily common among our lot. He reminds me of a comment Tommy Hafey used to make about blokes like Bartlett when he was in the twilight of his career...' He can still get the ball and if he's got it, it means the opposition aint"
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Don't get me wrong, I like Pev and reckon he can do a job, BUT .... and here's the but ..... is he in our best midfield? I doubt it.

Only because once you throw JJ, Watson, Stanton, Dyson, Camporeale, and even McVeigh, Lovett or Winderlich in there, I just cant see where he fits in.

Very handy to have on the list to play 8 - 12 games, but I really don't think he's good enough to command a place in our midfield if we're serious about progressing.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

Ossie wrote:Don't get me wrong, I like Pev and reckon he can do a job, BUT .... and here's the but ..... is he in our best midfield? I doubt it.

Only because once you throw JJ, Watson, Stanton, Dyson, Camporeale, and even McVeigh, Lovett or Winderlich in there, I just cant see where he fits in.

Very handy to have on the list to play 8 - 12 games, but I really don't think he's good enough to command a place in our midfield if we're serious about progressing.
ditto
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Don't know why everyone keeps talking up Camporeale. For me, he's well past his best, starting to get plagued by injury, and even though he "contributed" in some games last year, he did have a horror patch with (like most last year) skill errors. He USED to be a good player, particularly against us, but I can't see him performing the way he used to. If you ask me, we got more out of Justin Murphy than we have of Camporeale thus far.

As for Pev, he has been an excellent blue collar player in our team. Unfortunately for him, he has to rely on his super work ethic, concentration, commitment and negating skills to maintain his place in the side. If he can do that (as he did 2nd half of last season) then he will remain in the side.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Agree with you on this one Ben. I'd much rather have Pev than Camporeale because he bleeds red & black. His last 8 games last year were very good and he knows how to get the ball on a regular basis.

And he can still teach the young blokes a few things, especially how to tag your opponent out of the game whilst still getting plenty of the ball.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Good on him for taking that attitude towards it, at least you know if he does bow out after this season he wont be bitching about the club letting him go.

I'm a big wrap for Pevs, he's always been one of my faves. I believe that if he sets himself to it, yeah he's in our top 22.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

at least he is honest and prepared to put in the hard yards, unlike others to don the red & black and that is why they failed and left. He will extend his career beyond 2007, im confident!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

DYSON#2 wrote: He will extend his career beyond 2007, im confident!
I'm not.

What's kept him here this year is his last half of 2007, and an insurance policy against failing youngsters.

There will come a time that Pev's spot will block an up and comer, and that is when he will leave.

I can see him in 2008 at Bendigo Bombers doing great work with the youngsters there.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

As much as i love Pev, he is going to need a monster of a year to prevent himself from playing the majority of matches in the VFL.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

No.

Not quick enough (especially with Watson, JJ and Stanton the main midfielders) and skill are hopeless.
If he gets 30 kicks, how many go where they should? Not many.