Monfries to Melbourne?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Monfries to Melbourne?

Post by Gatsid »

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/artic ... emon-move/

Yes I know it's all media fluff and we never get anything done come trade week, but with the news coming so early in the year we can hope that he's on the move can't we? :)
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: Monfries to Melbourne?

Post by Jazz_84 »

I posted this in the trade section too, but this looks like it will be done via free agency so no trade just a draft pick around 20 you would think... trade that pick and a tall defender to GC for Caddy... have to say yes to that you would think
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Wow, I never thought Melbourne actually wanted to get shitter
Essendunny
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

The interesting thing here is that if it's a free agency move then it would be Monfries instigating it which suggests that he is not happy with his lot in life at Essendon. If that's the case well blow me!! What more could the kid have hoped for, he has been blessed at Essendon

Or do you think the club has said you have no future, go and see if you can arrange a FA transfer
bombermancan
Top Up Player

Post by bombermancan »

JockStrap wrote:The interesting thing here is that if it's a free agency move then it would be Monfries instigating it which suggests that he is not happy with his lot in life at Essendon. If that's the case well blow me!! What more could the kid have hoped for, he has been blessed at Essendon

Or do you think the club has said you have no future, go and see if you can arrange a FA transfer
Thank christ his gone. If only they could give us a player.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

moloney? or junkety junk?
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Jazz_84 wrote:I posted this in the trade section too, but this looks like it will be done via free agency so no trade just a draft pick around 20 you would think... trade that pick and a tall defender to GC for Caddy... have to say yes to that you would think
How did you work out he would be worth approx pick 20?

I think GC were after far more than a second rounder and a tall defender like Pears/Hooker(who would be the only two I can imagine us putting up for trade) last year...not sure they would be willing to compromise further...I think someone else(Geelong/Melbourne etc) will put in a better deal than that for Caddy.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

It doesn't matter what Geelong or Melbourne offer if Caddy refuses to deal with them.

Richmond had a better deal on the table for Judd than Carlton.
Choppy
Top Up Player

Post by Choppy »

JockStrap wrote:The interesting thing here is that if it's a free agency move then it would be Monfries instigating it which suggests that he is not happy with his lot in life at Essendon. If that's the case well blow me!! What more could the kid have hoped for, he has been blessed at Essendon

How has he been blessed playing at Essendon? Playing for one of the sh1ttest clubs in the league for the last decade? Or playing in, what, two finals and get devastated both times?

C'mon mate take the rose coloured glasses off...can see why he wants out? Wants to get off a sinking ship...
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Choppy wrote:

How has he been blessed playing at Essendon? Playing for one of the sh1ttest clubs in the league for the last decade? Or playing in, what, two finals and get devastated both times?

C'mon mate take the rose coloured glasses off...can see why he wants out? Wants to get off a sinking ship...
I think he means he has been blessed as he has been shitful for the majority of his career, yet has been an automatic selection for the majority of his career.
Choppy
Top Up Player

Post by Choppy »

Ah I see, he has been lucky to get a game I will give him that. However, I suspect he is probably one of those players that had he been drafted by geelong for example, he would ahve been ok for them...and his career would have looked much, much better. Whereas, his career reads like a failure, partly because of the spuds he has played with as teammates.

I mean Paul Barnard ina sh8t team would ahve been a whipping boy, but because he played in that great era he looked pretty good. Reckon Monfries woudl ahve been similar...
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Choppy wrote:Ah I see, he has been lucky to get a game I will give him that. However, I suspect he is probably one of those players that had he been drafted by geelong for example, he would ahve been ok for them...and his career would have looked much, much better. Whereas, his career reads like a failure, partly because of the spuds he has played with as teammates.

I mean Paul Barnard ina sh8t team would ahve been a whipping boy, but because he played in that great era he looked pretty good. Reckon Monfries woudl ahve been similar...
Barnard had a heart and a pair of testicles..
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

little_ripper wrote: How did you work out he would be worth approx pick 20?
I asked a journo and they said it should be around 20 or early 2nd round, not iron clad, just an estimation

it appears Essendon offered Monfries a 2 year deal but Melbourne and Port have offered him 4 year deals, and he left Melbourne today to ponder his decision
Kakadu Kangaroos
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Jazz_84 wrote:
I asked a journo and they said it should be around 20 or early 2nd round, not iron clad, just an estimation

it appears Essendon offered Monfries a 2 year deal but Melbourne and Port have offered him 4 year deals, and he left Melbourne today to ponder his decision
Lucky to be offered 2 years. So as a restricted free agent, he can choose to take the 2 year deal if he wants?
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Gimps wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:

Lucky to be offered 2 years. So as a restricted free agent, he can choose to take the 2 year deal if he wants?
yeah he can take whatever deal he wants at the moment
Kakadu Kangaroos
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

This is what worries me. So EFC might want to squeeze out a draft pick compensation for Spudfries – so they have to match the offer of 4 years. Melbourne (or whoever) says “stick that where it Fitzpatrick” and withdraw their offer. So Spudfries says “I’ll stay at EFC on a 4 year deal!”

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark OFF!!!
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Jazz_84 wrote:
Gimps wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:

yeah he can take whatever deal he wants at the moment
Withdraw the 2 year deal please :lol:
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

Gimps wrote:
Choppy wrote:

I think he means he has been blessed as he has been shitful for the majority of his career, yet has been an automatic selection for the majority of his career.

The reason Essendon has been shit for the period of Monfries career is pretty much due to players like Monfries. Inconsistent, lazy footballers who have earned pretty good coin and got themselves 150 games for nowt. I reckon he has been given a pretty good life thanks to the football club. Not sure he would have seen such fortunes elsewhere
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

BenDoolan wrote:This is what worries me. So EFC might want to squeeze out a draft pick compensation for Spudfries – so they have to match the offer of 4 years. Melbourne (or whoever) says “stick that where it Fitzpatrick” and withdraw their offer. So Spudfries says “I’ll stay at EFC on a 4 year deal!”

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark OFF!!!
no that doesn't sound right,

we can just let him go and get a draft pick, if we want to match the 4 year deal, then the only way Monfries can leave is by requesting a trade

so if we want a trade rather then a draft pick then we offer him the 4 years and then trade, but that's risky, as whatever trade we are after falls through and we are stuck with him for 4 years, not a move any club would seriously consider i would have thought
Kakadu Kangaroos
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Umm ... we've offered Monfires a 2 year deal??? Say it aint so Joe...

After Jurrah walked this week and they've told Moloney to disappear and Rivers has decided to look elsewhere they are in need of some experience ... even if it is the float in float out variety.

Monfries for one of their round one comp picks ... I'd take that!
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)