2013 Fixture

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 5068
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: Knoxfield

2013 Fixture

Post by paddyl90 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:37 pm

I'm bored..can't sleep so thought I'd make a post about the 2013 fixture. Should be released at the end of the month and it's my favourite time of the off-season so I can plan when and where I'm going next year.

What are we wanting / hoping for? We had a great first half this year and it got tough. Hopefully more bigger games early against bigger clubs. Bit more evenly spread out.

To be honest our fixture never changes

Round 1 - Low drawing team - Dogs / North / Port OR Interstate
Round 3 or 4 - Carlton
Round 5 / Sometimes 6 - Collingwood
Round 8 or 9 - Richmond
Round 16-22 - Collingwood / Carlton / Richmond

Then jumble around the other teams and interstate matches. Interstate I'm really hoping for - Sydney (SCG - so I can finally go there, the last big AFL ground I haven't been to) / West Coast (Perth) / Gold Coast (Metricon) / Brisbane (Gabba). 2 x QLD would be awesome.

I'm sure it'll be another uneven fixture that everyone will complain over but it'll never be even unless it's just 17 rounds. But anyway...looking forward to it.

Thoughts? Care? Don't Care?

User avatar
boncer34
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 9207
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by boncer34 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:00 am

If we don't get GWS twice I'll burn the f****** AFL headquarters to the ground.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

User avatar
Gimps
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7856
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Bumfuck Idaho

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by Gimps » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:48 am

We'll probably get GC and GWS once, again.

Think we might cop an interstater like Adelaide in Round 1.

We'll cop Blues, Pies, Tigers twice as usual. Want to see 2 x Bulldogs, Port, Melbourne. GC and or GWS twice would be a bonus. We better not cop Geelong or Hawthorn twice, or I'll be joining Bonce at AFL Headquarters..

User avatar
Royza
Club Captain
Posts: 2797
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:58 pm

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by Royza » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:42 am

Thinking like an AFL mofo to some degree:

2 x Filth, Scum, Tiges as per usual.

Non-Vics switch around so probably get:

1 x Sydney (A). They love us up there & we didn't play them there this year. This will probably mean we won't go there again for GWS.
1 x GWS (H). Because of the above scenario.
1 x GC (H). Swap from this yr.
1 x WC (A). ^
1 x Freo (H). ^
1 x Bris (A). ^
1 x Por (H). ^
2 x Ade. We had Port twice this yr and need at least 1 SA trip.

This yr we went away 4 times & played the non-Vics 4 times at home. The above has us on +1 (H) so we may get another away possibly GC. Otherwise they'd probably drop Ade (H) & give us Freo away which would suck.

Rest of the Vic sides switch as well so:

1 x Dees (A). Won't play them twice as per usual.
1 x Gee (H).
1 x Haw (A).
1 x StK (H).
2 x WB. Because of our great ladder position and regular fixtures, we'll probably get WB twice.
1 x Kan (A). Played them twice this yr, and the away game is so all the above work out correctly.

User avatar
chickster
On the Rookie List
Posts: 358
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:59 am

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by chickster » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:33 am

Given the Goddard movement I wouldn't be surprised to see us scheduled two games against the Saints, one of which pretty early on.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25910
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:27 pm

boncer34 wrote:If we don't get GWS twice I'll burn the f****** AFL headquarters to the ground.
To be really truthful, I hope we don't. It really won't make us a better team if we do. It will only lead us into a false sense of "how good we are" if we punish these teams and get 16 cheap points as opposed to 8. Just look at how North fell into the 8 simply because they played these guys twice in the season. They got absolutely smoked in the Elimination Final - and the exact same thing would have happened to us if it were us who played these guys twice this year.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
Gimps
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7856
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Bumfuck Idaho

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by Gimps » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:53 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:If we don't get GWS twice I'll burn the f****** AFL headquarters to the ground.
To be really truthful, I hope we don't. It really won't make us a better team if we do. It will only lead us into a false sense of "how good we are" if we punish these teams and get 16 cheap points as opposed to 8. Just look at how North fell into the 8 simply because they played these guys twice in the season. They got absolutely smoked in the Elimination Final - and the exact same thing would have happened to us if it were us who played these guys twice this year.
But Adelaide got a prelim out of it..

User avatar
little_ripper
Club Captain
Posts: 3816
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:46 am
Location: At a computer screen, punching out garbage on BT.

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by little_ripper » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:58 pm

I want Hawks early in the season before our younger side is fatigued. Sick of being pumped by them late in the season.

I want two bouts against both Sydney and GWS.(Sydney always great games, GWS because we finished so low).

One trip to Perth(sorry WA fans, but we aint that great @ subi - good for our perth boys though I guess to catch up with family).

Plenty of Saturday arvo and Friday night games.(second unlikely given how poor we finished the season).
Few Sunday twilights.(just don't like them).

JP - reckon we are a monty to go to the SCG next year. Its renos will be complete to make it I think around a 50K stadium?(maybe a bit less...40 odd)
The swans and AFL may want some good games there. and that sort of crowd is likely with us and them.

User avatar
Western Red
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:23 pm
Location: Penang, Malaysia

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by Western Red » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:16 pm

I want all Friday night games - so I can knock off early in France and watch it live on line! Selfish I know!

User avatar
Gimps
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7856
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Bumfuck Idaho

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by Gimps » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:53 pm

Western Red wrote:I want all Friday night games - so I can knock off early in France and watch it live on line! Selfish I know!
Knock of early? Wouldn't a 7:40pm game be around 9:40am there?

User avatar
Western Red
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:23 pm
Location: Penang, Malaysia

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by Western Red » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:13 pm

Gimps wrote:
Western Red wrote:I want all Friday night games - so I can knock off early in France and watch it live on line! Selfish I know!
Knock of early? Wouldn't a 7:40pm game be around 9:40am there?
Your point? :lol:

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25910
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Gimps wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:If we don't get GWS twice I'll burn the f****** AFL headquarters to the ground.
To be really truthful, I hope we don't. It really won't make us a better team if we do. It will only lead us into a false sense of "how good we are" if we punish these teams and get 16 cheap points as opposed to 8. Just look at how North fell into the 8 simply because they played these guys twice in the season. They got absolutely smoked in the Elimination Final - and the exact same thing would have happened to us if it were us who played these guys twice this year.
But Adelaide got a prelim out of it..
But Adelaide have more than just one fairdinkum footballer than their captain....
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by j-mac31 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:01 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:If we don't get GWS twice I'll burn the f****** AFL headquarters to the ground.
To be really truthful, I hope we don't. It really won't make us a better team if we do. It will only lead us into a false sense of "how good we are" if we punish these teams and get 16 cheap points as opposed to 8. Just look at how North fell into the 8 simply because they played these guys twice in the season. They got absolutely smoked in the Elimination Final - and the exact same thing would have happened to us if it were us who played these guys twice this year.
This.

We had an easy draw early this season and a tough finish. Look how it ended. Playing the best teams as often as possible will be the best thing for development and an accurate assessment of the team.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7087
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Sydney (Don't hold it against me)
Contact:

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by Crazyman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:53 pm

little_ripper wrote:I want Hawks early in the season before our younger side is fatigued. Sick of being pumped by them late in the season.

I want two bouts against both Sydney and GWS.(Sydney always great games, GWS because we finished so low).

One trip to Perth(sorry WA fans, but we aint that great @ subi - good for our perth boys though I guess to catch up with family).

Plenty of Saturday arvo and Friday night games.(second unlikely given how poor we finished the season).
Few Sunday twilights.(just don't like them).

JP - reckon we are a monty to go to the SCG next year. Its renos will be complete to make it I think around a 50K stadium?(maybe a bit less...40 odd)
The swans and AFL may want some good games there. and that sort of crowd is likely with us and them.
Sorry LR, I don't buy this shit about our side being 'younger' anymore. If you look at average ages (even with Fletch), we not much younger on average that Dawks/Pies. Our problem is injuries robbing us of consistence, a lack of ticker when it is really required and some half decent facilities to get players upto a consistent AFL standard...the facilities are coming, hopefully for one year since 2000, we will have a list that is relatively injury free and when the going gets tough, a few more players will actually give a shit aside from Jobe & Fletch...

User avatar
boncer34
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 9207
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by boncer34 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:05 am

We're still a year to two years younger on average then the top sides.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7087
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Sydney (Don't hold it against me)
Contact:

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by Crazyman » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:42 am

boncer34 wrote:We're still a year to two years younger on average then the top sides.
I don't think so Bonce. Aside from Geelong who have had a rather aged list for the last couple of years, but now have heaps of retirements happening, we are no more than about 1/2 to 1 year avg age younger from memory...

User avatar
boncer34
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 9207
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by boncer34 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:50 am

Crazyman wrote:
boncer34 wrote:We're still a year to two years younger on average then the top sides.
I don't think so Bonce. Aside from Geelong who have had a rather aged list for the last couple of years, but now have heaps of retirements happening, we are no more than about 1/2 to 1 year avg age younger from memory...
Depends on if you include Fletcher?

Round 23 we were two years younger then the Pies. Everyone else we'd be pushing a year/year and a half from memory if we don't have father time pumping up our average.

Which might not sound like a lot but GC and GWS are only 2 years younger then us.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

User avatar
little_ripper
Club Captain
Posts: 3816
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:46 am
Location: At a computer screen, punching out garbage on BT.

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by little_ripper » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:38 pm

Crazyman wrote:
little_ripper wrote:I want Hawks early in the season before our younger side is fatigued. Sick of being pumped by them late in the season.

I want two bouts against both Sydney and GWS.(Sydney always great games, GWS because we finished so low).

One trip to Perth(sorry WA fans, but we aint that great @ subi - good for our perth boys though I guess to catch up with family).

Plenty of Saturday arvo and Friday night games.(second unlikely given how poor we finished the season).
Few Sunday twilights.(just don't like them).

JP - reckon we are a monty to go to the SCG next year. Its renos will be complete to make it I think around a 50K stadium?(maybe a bit less...40 odd)
The swans and AFL may want some good games there. and that sort of crowd is likely with us and them.
Sorry LR, I don't buy this shit about our side being 'younger' anymore. If you look at average ages (even with Fletch), we not much younger on average that Dawks/Pies. Our problem is injuries robbing us of consistence, a lack of ticker when it is really required and some half decent facilities to get players upto a consistent AFL standard...the facilities are coming, hopefully for one year since 2000, we will have a list that is relatively injury free and when the going gets tough, a few more players will actually give a shit aside from Jobe & Fletch...

Ok i'll rephrase it. Our side with lesser endurance capability. Still want the hawks in the first 10 rounds.

Gyoza
Club Captain
Posts: 3664
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:51 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by Gyoza » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:41 pm

I'd like us to have a tougher first half of the year than second....for obvious reasons. I think it'd be fair if we got one of GWS or Gold Coast twice, but not both (for reasons pointed out above.)
Round 1 game in Melbourne would be good - from memory we've spent plenty of years recently (though not this year?) starting seasons interstate.

Still wish they'd just go to a 17 round season or have conferences and be done with the stupidity of the whole debate.
Last edited by Gyoza on Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JockStrap

Re: 2013 Fixture

Post by JockStrap » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Even having this dicussion is of extreme annoyance.

What sort of competition is this when teams are selected to play manadatoy games every year simply because they draw big crowds.

What sort of competition is it when some teams get double the amount of "gimme games" than other teams

I seriously dont understand why there is not much noise about this matter. Clubs moan and groan about everything under the sun when it comes to their lot in life yet one of the most important elements of any professionl sporting competition, a fair and equitable fixturing is completly overlooked

I understnd that every year clubs can even submit their fixturing preferences, its like a football's equivalent of an all you can eat diner. "I'll have one game against Hawthorn, followed by two games against Gold Coast. Can I also have two GWS games with that?"

There has not been a fair system since the old days of the 12 team VFL competition where everyone played everyone else twice a season, home and away.

And please, dont tell me that it balances out over time. Thats crap. Knowing our luck, we will finally get our 2 games a year against Gold Coast and GWS just as they emerge as the league's new superpowers.

I dont care if we dont play Collingwood or Carlton twice a year - all I want is a fair system for all. A fair system for all will help make it a better competition and therefore fend off the arguments regarding attendences and TV rights.

Post Reply