Sheedy's Last Hurrah

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Sheedy's Last Hurrah

Post by Windy_Hill »

Win draw or lose, I suspect that the Bombers will arrange for a Sheedy Farewell Tour this year. He will not have his contract renewed no matter the results this year.

Any thoughts??
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Interesting thought Windy. I reckon Sheedy is going to try and stay on as long as he can but whether the board will re-sign him is another matter. Especially if the cl;ub doesnt make some moves up the ladder.
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

i wouldnt be suprised if he went out with Hirdy, depart with his greatest ever love child or Even Fletcher/1 of the johnson boys for that matter.
Madden
Club Captain

Re: Sheedy's Last Hurrah

Post by Madden »

Windy_Hill wrote:Win draw or lose, I suspect that the Bombers will arrange for a Sheedy Farewell Tour this year. He will not have his contract renewed no matter the results this year.

Any thoughts??
That's just a ridiculous statement.

So what, if they make the Top 4 or win the flag then he wouldn't be re-signed? Nonsense.

Note, I don't think that we will do that well, but to say that he would not be signed no matter what the result is stupid.

I personally think that if they make the 8 (or even just miss out) that they will definately rush to re-sign him. If they miss the 8 badly, he's probably in trouble.
Last edited by Madden on Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

If we improve and make the finals, he'll be back for sure as he has said that he wants to keep going and the club has certainly indicated that they expect improvement.

If he delivers, why would they let him go?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Here we go again around in circles!!

No point sacking Sheeds unless we have a decent replacement!!!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

[quote="Western Red"]Here we go again around in circles!!

No point sacking Sheeds unless we have a decent replacement!!![/quote]

Exactly (and why would you sack him if he does a good job - it makes no sense)
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I agree with Windy on this. This will be Sheedys last year, no matter the position (unless we lose the GF)

If we dont make the finals, he will be sacked.
If we go further and possibly make top 4, I reckon he will hand over the reigns to GOD to take over and move us to the next level.

If we win the flag (no chance), he will retire as a 5-time premiership coach.

The time is right for GOD to take over, but this years ladder position will determine how sheedy leaves.

For the record, im not a sheedy basher and im not saying I want him sacked, but I think now is the best time for him to pass the baton on.

Sheeds always brings up what Bill Stephens did for us before Sheedy came to the club. Bill knew we werent going to win the premiership under his guidance, so he blooded young kids for the next coach. He blooded players like Daniher, Van der Haar, Watson etc. He set up the core group for Sheedy to go on and win 2 flags in his first 5 years.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I think Sheeds will leave on his own terms.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

GOD has repeatedly said he doesn't want the job so I can't see Sheeds stepping aside for him
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I'm sure he would do a good job though.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I reckon a decision will be clear by around R16 whether or not a) Sheeds will go out on his own terms or b) the club will not be renewing his contract. It's not about "sacking" him. He will run out his current contract. Whether the club sees that he is worthy of another contract remains to be seen and will depend on how the team is travelling at that time.

I think we all need to realise that Sheeds is closer to the end of his coaching tenure than at the start. I notice a few comments regarding why he should not be given another contract "if there is no decent replacement". Well how will we ever know if there is a decent replacement if he isn't replaced? Think back to 1981, did anyone envisage Sheedy to be the brilliant coach he turned out to be? I doubt it....he was just a bloody back pocket plumber.....

We have a lot to be grateful for in the last 26 years, and Sheedy has had a lot to do with that. He deserves to go out on his own terms. I hope both the club and Sheedy himself will do what's best for the club at the end of the season.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I'm happy for him to leave at the end of this season if A) it's amicable and he agrees and B) we finish top 4.

Other than that I'd want him around another season, unless this season is a complete disaster at the hands of the coach. NOT at the hands of injury.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

swoodley wrote:GOD has repeatedly said he doesn't want the job so I can't see Sheeds stepping aside for him
Has he? I thought he was more unsure of the direction he should take, and that coaching was one possibility.
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

Is there anything stopping him stepping down to an assistants role, or even an exclusive match day consultant.

Don't tell me Gary Ayres wouldn't like Sheeds in his ear if he steps up to AFL level again.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Please don't suggest we have Ayres as head coach at EFC!!!!!

f*** me Sheeds can coach until he's 104 years old instead of Ayres!!!!!

The insticts that made him such a great big game player (2 x NSM) obviously get lost in the coaches box as he couldn't get the Cats or Crows over the line when it counted!!!!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Neale Daniher is the best option amongst current coaches should the opportunity become available.

He has been pretty good at Melbourne, despite a few years of inconsistency, he has actually built a pretty good team there.

Plus, I would love to see a favourite son, a real Essendon man return to the fold
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I agree ND is the best option.
I don't think he has really had a lot to work with at Melbourne and yet they've still done okay.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

According to Tim Watson, the 93 Grand Final can be credited to ND's tactics in closing down Carlton's mid-field

An exceprional tactician from all reports
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BenDoolan wrote:I think we all need to realise that Sheeds is closer to the end of his coaching tenure than at the start. I notice a few comments regarding why he should not be given another contract "if there is no decent replacement". Well how will we ever know if there is a decent replacement if he isn't replaced? Think back to 1981, did anyone envisage Sheedy to be the brilliant coach he turned out to be? I doubt it....he was just a bloody back pocket plumber.....
Precisely. Last year, when the 'Sheedy replacement' theme was in vogue, i threw up names like Don Pyke, John Longmire, Chris Bond and Guy McKenna and was continually shouted down by (some) others. Who's to say any of those assistant coaches will not be great senior coaches? All of Roos, Worsfold and Craig have come in after being assistants and done fantastically well. Why are so many people insistant on replacing Sheedy with an experienced senior coach like Daniher or Thompson, who have one Grand Final appearance between them after a combined total of 16 years in the head coach position?

As for Sheedy going at the end of 2007, i feel it's dependant upon results. A top 4 finish would guarantee him another contract if he chose to take it, a top 8 finish would probably do likewise, a 9-12 finish would see him under significant pressure (particularly if the Board were unanimous in their opinions of there being a good replacement available), and a bottom 4 finish would almost certainly see him go.