Do you take the NAB Cup seriously?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Do you take the NAB Cup seriously?

Post by paddyl90 »

Just a question i thought id ask. Season isn't far away and the hype surrounding Essendon at the moment especially on SEN for the whole day there has been non stop debate over whats going to happen this season. Back page of the Herald Sun has also talking us up so I am actually getting extremely excited. But should we wait to the start of the season to assess the team or is the NAB Cup a reflection on how the team is going.

Imagine beating Adelaide first round. Now that'd be awesome. Going through our list I can't help but be excited because there is so much talent. Experience from Lucas, Hird, Lloyd, Fletcher, Michael and the Johnson's to the middle teer players like Peverill, McVeigh, Welsh and now the young players. Monfries, Winderlich, Ryder, Laycock, Stanton, Dyson, Watson and Johns. Could you ask for anything better. You cannot have that much talent in your team and not make the 8. A team like that at their best could easily be top 4. I maybe dreaming but I think it could be a reality.

It's all looking good for season 2007.
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

imo we should be looking to win every game to get confidence and match fitness up and when it comes NAB Finals time take that game seriously. Look to field the best team but leave 1 or 2 extra spots for youngsters were you would usually put experience ie Campo, Bolton etc.

i'm super pumped for this up coming season and would honestly be dissapointed if we finished any were below top 8, i truely think we have a side that is capable of playing finals.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Play alot of the new recruits, is the way I would go. Mal Michael, Gumbelton, Davey etc. Rotate alot of the older guys who may need some game time before the real stuff starts.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

In 1993 and 2000 we won the Pre-season competition and went onto win the Premiership the same year. It's good for confidence.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

It has turned into a bullshit competition with bullshit rules and bullshit concepts. So I think its bullshit. The only good thing about winning it is the prize money the club will get. Other than that, I think it's laughable that any club can win a "premiership" by playing a total of 5 games. Just look at Carlton who "won" the competition in 2005. The club has achieved 3 wooden spoons in the last 5 seasons! Joke.
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

yes, agree, if Carlton can win it, it cannot/shouldnot be taken too seriously, but it can be a tool to give some confidence to the players and restart a winning culture. 2006 was rough on the players.
Red and Black Forever
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I don't care who they play as long as they make it to round two.

This year... I'm taking it very seriously.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

spikefan wrote:yes, agree, if Carlton can win it, it cannot/shouldnot be taken too seriously, but it can be a tool to give some confidence to the players and restart a winning culture. 2006 was rough on the players.
Yes of course, I should have added that the only good thing about it is the prize money and the fine tuning of fitness and skills in the playing group. As a spectacle, I hate it.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Only good is to get the bandwagon supporters to sign up. At the end of the day, they give money to the club.

As long as players find fitness and we get no injuries, dont care what happens. Would rather watch us play with real rules in practice matches rather than these mickey mouse crap.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Who won it last year?

Who won it in 2005?

I have always thought it is nothing more than the AFL controlling the practice games and streaming more revenue, but I've been called cynical once or twice in the past.

We're going to have practice games anyhow, so they may as well have something to show for it at the end.

As long as we don't have a long list of injuries to show for it, I don't really have any strong feelings about it.

Different teams will establish their own goals and these will be obvious from the teams they select. Not every team goes out to win the silverware.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Nope.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

F111 wrote:Who won it last year?

Who won it in 2005?

I have always thought it is nothing more than the AFL controlling the practice games and streaming more revenue, but I've been called cynical once or twice in the past.

We're going to have practice games anyhow, so they may as well have something to show for it at the end.

As long as we don't have a long list of injuries to show for it, I don't really have any strong feelings about it.

Different teams will establish their own goals and these will be obvious from the teams they select. Not every team goes out to win the silverware.
Glorified practice matches, thats all they are.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Ummmm, nah, i dont really Lost all their credibality with the 9-point goal thing.

Rather see some sort of State of Origin type setup - even though that will never, never happen.

As an alternative to the Challenge series, why dont they take this circus on the road for a three week tour of Australia. Split up the comp into 4 groups of 4.

Each group tours independently of each other.

For example

Adelaide
Brisbane
Carlton
Collingwood
Plays in Hobart, Wellington, Auckland

Essendon
Geelong
Hawthorn
Melbourne
Plays in Cairns, Townsville, Rockhampton

North Melbourne
Richmond
Fremantle
West Coast
Play in Darwin, Alice Springs, Broome

Bulldogs
Port Adelaide
Sydney
St Kilda
Play in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Singapore

Each team playes each other in its group once, and people who might not have the possibility to see football get to see a game.

Top two ranked teams play the grand final in Melbourne

Too much of a pipe dream, or do i just need to get some sleep?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Loking forward to seeing any progress amongst the younger brigade.

Guys like Kepler, Paddy, Winder etc.

Also keen to see some of the new kids, Davey, Jetta, Hislop etc.

Whether we win or lose is entirely inconsequential
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Dont take it seriously. 9 point goals were the last straw for me. Id lean towards it being scrapped and maybe have more rounds so that more teams play each other twice.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

No don't take it seriously but by the time it starts I'm desperate to watch any bloody football.