John Coleman

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

John Coleman

Post by robbie67 »

Will be the next statue at the MCG. :D

Was my grandpas favourite footballer ever.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Re: John Coleman

Post by rockhole »

That is really great news. Many consider Coley to be the greates FF ever.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Filthy will have an aneurism when he hears about this..
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Even Coleman's statue in the forward line would probably require a hard tag!
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:Even Coleman's statue in the forward line would probably require a hard tag!
:lol:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Awesome.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

About bloody time ... more deserving than some others out there
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

s'dreams wrote:About bloody time ... more deserving than some others out there
Like who?
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

bomberdonnie wrote:
Like who?
Given the selection criteria for the statues are:
•That candidates be Australian, male or female and cover any particular era including the present.
•He/she has been connected with the MCG or the sport played is connected with the MCG.
•That they be renowned for their sportsmanship.
•That the candidate may be selected from any era of the MCG including the present

I have a problem with the subject of one of the statues ... Someone who used to play for whorethorn ... only player as far as I can recall who was done by the Vic police/courts for criminal assault for his on field trangressions ... and the asshole who in the 2001 pre-GF TV interview who dumped on EFC members & supporters as being too arrogent to deserve the EFC to be in the GF let alone win it. No other coach has ever slagged off at the members of another club and yes the bastard defended his position when (i think it was) a shocked Cometti asked whether he was denigrating the other club's supporters.

As I said - Coleman is far far more deserving.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

s'dreams wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:
Like who?
•That candidates be Australian, male or female and cover any particular era including the present.
•He/she has been connected with the MCG or the sport played is connected with the MCG.
•That the candidate may be selected from any era of the MCG including the present

I have a problem with the subject of one of the statues ... Someone who used to play for whorethorn ... only player as far as I can recall who was done by the Vic police/courts for criminal assault for his on field trangressions ... and the asshole who in the 2001 pre-GF TV interview who dumped on EFC members & supporters as being too arrogent to deserve the EFC to be in the GF let alone win it. No other coach has ever slagged off at the members of another club and yes the bastard defended his position when (i think it was) a shocked Cometti asked whether he was denigrating the other club's supporters.

Can't argue with it
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

s'dreams wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:
Like who?

I have never been comfortable with the accolades heaped on Mathews. I can think of at least 5 occasions when he king hit blokes from behind, the most infamous copping him an assault charge.

To hold him up as the greatest player ever makes you wonder what criteria is used.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

rockhole wrote:
s'dreams wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:
Like who?

I have never been comfortable with the accolades heaped on Mathews. I can think of at least 5 occasions when he king hit blokes from behind, the most infamous copping him an assault charge.

To hold him up as the greatest player ever makes you wonder what criteria is used.

Read Captain Blood's autobiography and you will see that Leigh Matthews was no better or worse than a lot of players in the old days. In fact, even during his own time, he was one amongst many when it came to sniping. His problem was that he was so good as a player, his indiscretions were poured over by the media.

Hate the guy, but a simply incredible footballer
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

So many good arguments in this thread

I think what STI was saying is that Lethal is a long way from being a good sportsman. If that is a criteria then they cant have bloke who is so well known for bashing people cast in bronze.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

bomberdonnie wrote:So many good arguments in this thread

I think what STI was saying is that Lethal is a long way from being a good sportsman. If that is a criteria then they cant have bloke who is so well known for bashing people cast in bronze.
Looks like "Rotten" has got something to look forward to!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I'm surprised Coleman wasn't already there to be honest. Legendary player. His achievements and the aura he projected were astronomical. Perhaps it was because he played too few games. But that wasn't his fault. Anyhow, he is rightfully being put in place.

As for Matthews, I never really thought of him as a great or a legend. A champion, yes. A great, no. An arsehole, definitely. The "sportsman" criteria doesn't worry me though. He was involved in many unsavoury incidents. But so were many other champions. Take Dennis Lillee for example. Kicking Javed Miandad. Betting against his country to lose an "unlosable" test match - to which we went onto lose while he was part of the team. Faaark me, what would happen to a sportsman today if that happened!?
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:I'm surprised Coleman wasn't already there to be honest. Legendary player. His achievements and the aura he projected were astronomical. Perhaps it was because he played too few games. But that wasn't his fault. Anyhow, he is rightfully being put in place.

As for Matthews, I never really thought of him as a great or a legend. A champion, yes. A great, no. An arsehole, definitely. The "sportsman" criteria doesn't worry me though. He was involved in many unsavoury incidents. But so were many other champions. Take Dennis Lillee for example. Kicking Javed Miandad. Betting against his country to lose an "unlosable" test match - to which we went onto lose while he was part of the team. Faaark me, what would happen to a sportsman today if that happened!?
He would be so f***** if that happened today... So f*****!
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

His 12 goals on debut are well recorded. Ken Fraser added in the Coleman tribute that he kicked 5 in the first quarter.

Imaging Bruce salivating over that!!
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Coleman is the sole reason why my grandfather barracked for Essendon. Travelling down to Melbourne from Western Victoria to watch him play...My grandfather is the only reason my sister and I barracked for Essendon. We didnt exactly have a choice. But couldnt imagine following anyone else :)
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:I'm surprised Coleman wasn't already there to be honest. Legendary player. His achievements and the aura he projected were astronomical. Perhaps it was because he played too few games. But that wasn't his fault. Anyhow, he is rightfully being put in place.
Indeed.

His will be the 11th statue and two of them will be Bombers (the other being Sir Dick). And only the fifth of people best known for football. We're doing alright there.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Fletch will be next
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals