J.D.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

J.D.

Post by rockhole »

Saw him live against Box Hill and just watched the video on the website.

FFS, play him. He is an absolute gun.

What possible reasons could they put up to keep him out???
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: J.D.

Post by BenDoolan »

rockhole wrote:Saw him live against Box Hill and just watched the video on the website.

Team balance, right timing, cautiousness.....dunno.

I don't think some of "us" really know what we've got here. Some guys need to be wrapped in cotton wool, need a bit of nurturing, and need protection from the big boys etc. Then there are some guys who could slot straight into the big league and have an impact. He is one of those.
Essendunny
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

I think we could play him this week. If Brown doesnt get up for them we would really stretch their backline and he and Gumby have had a few weeks working in tandem already.

Risks of course are that if we lose and he fails to fire a shot it could dent his confidence - and then who knows what happens. Filth would be mad not to target him (think Micheal Gardner on his debut?) however with the way the game is policed these days they can only target him when he has the ball or in the contest so he would be fairly safe. They only really have Reid who would have to go to Gumby and then that would leave JD on a similar type in regard to experience/age etc.

But - In Hird We Trust - so if he says no then thats fine by me also! I am sure they know whats the best for JD and the team balance.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

rockhole wrote:Saw him live against Box Hill and just watched the video on the website.

Crameri, Hurley and Gumbleton are all in front of him.

Its that simple.

JD is a young gun, but Gumby showed more VFL form and Hurley and Crameri shown more in general.

He's not being protected. He's just 4th in line and Hird and co. are just going to gift him a game.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

The kid is an absolute gun, no don't about it. And he is only going to get better as he puts on more size. Has everything you want in a tall forward, knows when and where to lead, and is a brilliant contested mark (times his leap very well). His body positioning is very good, but he doesn't quite have the size just yet to use that. The one thing he could fix up a little is his kicking, although the signs there are very good as well. Kicked a lovely goal from outside fifty at the end of the first on the weekend.

As stated though, he is currently behind a few others. With our resting rucks both showing a lot up forward as well, it's already getting quite tall. Hurley showed just how valuable he is up forward before getting injured on Saturday, so even the option of him going back doesn't look too likely.

It's certainly a good problem to have at the moment. Hurley, Ryder/belly, gumby, jd, crameri all in contention to play up forward is a great sign. And with Carlisle looking like an all Australian chb, hooker doing more than enough and pears doing a more than competent job filling in for fletch, our key position stocks look very nice at the moment.

If we have to keep watching jd develop and kick bags of goals in the twos each week for the rest of the season, it means something is going right in the seniors!
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Solid arguments. Just getting impatient!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Also jumping the gun. Give him a contract extension ASAP.
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

Let him have a crack at GWS - this would be the ideal debut game
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I get the feeling Timmy let the cat out of the bag this morning (unintentionally).
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

This week's highlights:
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2013 ... lights-rd3
f***.

Hird:
The stage is not too big for him to debut. Whether he plays Anzac Day or whether he plays another game is not the issue. It's whether he fits in the team and we'll make that decision later on. Joe's definitely ready. If you've seen him play the last three or four weeks he's very close to playing AFL football.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013- ... old-belief
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sartorius wrote:Hurley showed just how valuable he is up forward before getting injured on Saturday, so even the option of him going back doesn't look too likely.
I was just about convinced of this on Saturday. But then when he went off, Gumby played really well and then I watched the Daniher highlights. I think if Joe gets a run while Hurley's out and he plays well (and Gumbleton continues to play well) then you have to play them all. Which of course means Hurley in the backline.

The forward line might be better with Hurley and one of Gumbleton or Daniher, rather than with Gumbleton and Daniher, but (again, provided they're all playing well) the team overall would be better with the three of them in and Hurley in the backline. Hooker's been much better this year, but he's not as good as Hurley.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Choppy
Top Up Player

Post by Choppy »

boncer34 wrote:

Its that simple.

JD is a young gun, but Gumby showed more VFL form and Hurley and Crameri shown more in general.

He's not being protected. He's just 4th in line and Hird and co. are just going to gift him a game.
Stupid logic. Of course he is 4th in line...he is young. But if he is going to be better than all those others (including the overhyped disappointment in Hurley) then give him game time. The quicker he fulfils that potential the better. Don;t wait for those others to fall away before he 'earns' it.

He should play now, regardless of how he is going, so he builds match confidence.

I don't want to see another Gumbelton scenario where this kid keeps getting talked up and never plays!
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

Choppy wrote:
boncer34 wrote:

Its that simple.

Stupid logic. Of course he is 4th in line...he is young. But if he is going to be better than all those others (including the overhyped disappointment in Hurley) then give him game time. The quicker he fulfils that potential the better. Don;t wait for those others to fall away before he 'earns' it.

He should play now, regardless of how he is going, so he builds match confidence.

I don't want to see another Gumbelton scenario where this kid keeps getting talked up and never plays!

Stupid Post of the Year Nominee!!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Choppy wrote:
boncer34 wrote:

Its that simple.

Do you even follow football?
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Best prospect in the history of the draft?
Choppy
Top Up Player

Post by Choppy »

I don't follow it closely (i.e. I don't go to games) but that is irrelevant here. If the guys is the next big thing, then play him now. Get him to fulfil that 'potential' faster!
Choppy
Top Up Player

Post by Choppy »

JockStraps wrote:
Choppy wrote:
boncer34 wrote:

Its that simple.

Stupid Post of the Year Nominee!!

...up there with your post / theories on the new WA team and the dissolution of North Melbourne, Jockstrap. At least I am in good company.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Choppy wrote:I don't follow it closely (i.e. I don't go to games) but that is irrelevant here. If the guys is the next big thing, then play him now. Get him to fulfil that 'potential' faster!
He's 10 foot tall and still a bag of bones compared to seasoned blokes of his type. He also had a couple of setbacks in the preseason. While we are doing well, there is no need to rush him into the team.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Well played Chop Chop, I agree with that sentiment re Jockstraps post.
Wally
Top Up Player

Post by Wally »

It's a long season and a lot of football still to be played. Would prefer that he is primed for the business end of the season when big blokes come into their own during September. Have no issue in holding him back at the moment in favour of orhers. JD will get his chance soon enough. If we keep winning I couldn't care I they held him back until second half of season.