Is this the best half of football ever played by one person?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
snitzel
Top Up Player

Post by snitzel »

tell me again why he isnt playing for us anymore?
You kick the bucket and ill swing my legs!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

f***** his hip taking that hanger and never recovered. That's why he's no longer playing for us, or at AFL level at all.

In terms of better halves of footy how about Mark Mecuri against the Swans in the Quailfying Final in 1999. Played a quarter and a half, kicked 6 goals, set up the win pretty much on his own, tweaked his hamstring and was taken off, rested and protected for the rest of the game.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:f***** his hip taking that hanger and never recovered. That's why he's no longer playing for us, or at AFL level at all.

In terms of better halves of footy how about Mark Mecuri against the Swans in the Quailfying Final in 1999. Played a quarter and a half, kicked 6 goals, set up the win pretty much on his own, tweaked his hamstring and was taken off, rested and protected for the rest of the game.
???

Mark Mercuri never once kicked more than 4 goals in an AFL match.....

Better halves of footy were usually by players against us.....such as Gary Ablett 1989 Prelim Final, Allen Jackovich 1991 Elimination Final, Dermott Brereton too many times to mention.....but Moorcroft was on fire that night!
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

what about lloyds 6 goal haul last year against sydney in the first quatre...that was a pretty good performance, even managed to get touchs in the backline for christ sakes
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Post by dingus »

couple of things from that video that stand out for me: First, Moorcs had the potential to be better than Bewick. Maybe were it not for the Hip injury that effectively ended his career that he got as reward for that mark we might have seen more.

Secondly, Judd Lalich could ruck. He could really ruck. His technique was technically very apt. Have a look at goals 4 and 5 (I think) and note the ruck combo of Lalich and Heffernan. Reminiscent of the night he towelled Spider Everitt when we trounced the Saints in the same year.

Bring back Judd.....
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

dingus wrote:couple of things from that video that stand out for me: First, Moorcs had the potential to be better than Bewick. Maybe were it not for the Hip injury that effectively ended his career that he got as reward for that mark we might have seen more.

Secondly, Judd Lalich could ruck. He could really ruck. His technique was technically very apt. Have a look at goals 4 and 5 (I think) and note the ruck combo of Lalich and Heffernan. Reminiscent of the night he towelled Spider Everitt when we trounced the Saints in the same year.

Bring back Judd.....
Yes he could ruck. But he couldnt kick, mark, handpass, run or tackle.

I agree that he was a very good ruckman, but we need more than just a tap ruckman, we need someone who can go around the ground and be half decent.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

Never saw a better half from a player than that day in that final from Mercs. It was so dominating, so awesome, that he set the victory up single handedly in 60 minutes.

He was given 3 votes by every pundit that day. :wink:
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It was a pity he was hardly on the ground in the 2nd half. He could have had 10.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Bewick vs Geelong, Centenary match, 1996?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Kickett V Footscray 93.
Hird V Westcoast 05. It was only one quarter, but I have never in my life seen a player single handedly decide that the game would be won.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

Ossie wrote:Bewick vs Geelong, Centenary match, 1996?
He played the whole game when he kicked his 8-9. :wink:
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

but he kicked 5 or 6 in the final quarter.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

dingus wrote: First, Moorcs had the potential to be better than Bewick. Maybe were it not for the Hip injury that effectively ended his career that he got as reward for that mark we might have seen more.
Bewick was a champion (He was a dangerous goalkicker and then even played across the half backline for much of the latter stages of his career) - Moorcroft had a day out. Potential means nothing, and is pointless. And even if you do want to argue that point have a look at the '96 match already mentioned here where Bewick towelled up Geelong. Then look at the 1993 prelim (the on folk gave a shit about).
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

AnarchicBomber wrote:
dingus wrote: First, Moorcs had the potential to be better than Bewick. Maybe were it not for the Hip injury that effectively ended his career that he got as reward for that mark we might have seen more.
Bewick was a champion (He was a dangerous goalkicker and then even played across the half backline for much of the latter stages of his career) - Moorcroft had a day out. Potential means nothing, and is pointless. And even if you do want to argue that point have a look at the '96 match already mentioned here where Bewick towelled up Geelong. Then look at the 1993 prelim (the on folk gave a shit about).
And haven't we missed him when he retired?

Sheeds always loves having a Bartlett like small guy in his fwd line....prolly why we drafted Davey and Jetta. :wink:
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

JJ was pretty good against North in that famous 2001 game. That said, I loved watching Moorcroft in that game - I was very upset when he got traded because I can't remember an essendon team that has won a flag without a fiery red-head in the forward line...

Heffernan looked great roving through the middle and picking in that game as well - could have been anything when he started with us...
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

Post by citizenerased »

anyone notice the other miracle feat?
Lucas right foot kick...no doubt it was meant for goal, but at least it hit a target....even though said target took an elevator to meet it.... :roll:
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Voss vs Collingwood in the Grand Final.

f*** me he was good.

I reckon only Hird's quarter against West Coast come closes to it.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

dingus wrote:couple of things from that video that stand out for me: First, Moorcs had the potential to be better than Bewick. Maybe were it not for the Hip injury that effectively ended his career that he got as reward for that mark we might have seen more.

Bring back Judd.....
Buggy is that You :P
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

robrulz5 wrote:It was a pity he was hardly on the ground in the 2nd half. He could have had 10.
Mercs injured his groin in the second quarter.....