We are the best in the business

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Choppy
Top Up Player

We are the best in the business

Post by Choppy »

I reckon we win the comp this season. I really do.

Clearly the form team and we finally have depth. Midfield is the best in the comp and perfectly balanced with the in-and-under champion and 'engine room' (the new Diesel Williams) in Jobe Watson, outsiders like Zaharakis, ballwinners like Stanton and finishers like Goddard.

Backline has Carlisle who looks very, very good. And the forward line is very potent with a good mix of talls and shorts.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: We are the best in the business

Post by BenDoolan »

I think we should wait;

a) to see how we go as a team in the 2nd and most important half of he year and;
b) see what happens re: investigation

We are yet to play Geelong, Hawthorn or Swans. 3 very real contenders.
Essendunny
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

I'm with Choppwizzle.

If the players firmly believe they are the best team in the comp, I can't see why we can't do a number on everyone.

Early days but our list is stacked.

BRING. IT. ON.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

clearly we are playing some absolute ripping footy, 1st in most key aspects of the game however soooo much can happen in the next 17 rounds, im just keen to see how we go in the second half of the year first, if we are still flying at round 15 then yeah ill be getting a little movement in the pants happening for sure!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Please. I might just wait until we win a final for the first time a decade before my pulse is raised, setting aside for a minute the potentially long-lasting ramifications any penalties imposed as a result of the PED investigation might have on us (personally i think we'll come through it ok aside from receiving a huge fine and losing a few senior administrative staff, but my opinion is no more informed than the next bod). When was the last time a team went from missing the finals to a flag from one year to the next, anyway? Adelaide, 1996-1997?

It takes a while to ingrain a strong winning culture and build enough depth in a list to win a flag. I think we really started doing that in earnest over the most recent pre-season, and it'll take a few more years before we're good enough to go all the way.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Choppy wrote:I reckon we win the comp this season. I really do.

Clearly the form team and we finally have depth. Midfield is the best in the comp and perfectly balanced with the in-and-under champion and 'engine room' (the new Diesel Williams) in Jobe Watson, outsiders like Zaharakis, ballwinners like Stanton and finishers like Goddard.

Backline has Carlisle who looks very, very good. And the forward line is very potent with a good mix of talls and shorts.
Our backline is the best in the competition which is why I would be getting excited about our chances. Its more than Carlisle(although his year is brilliant so far). Plus our defensive pressure all over the ground has made our backs job much easier.

And our set of rucks is IMO the best going around as well. Tom Bellchambers and Ryder make a brilliant pairing...and to have a third ruckman of the quality of HIlle is just an amazing luxury.

If we do make a Granny like your predicting and Hille is on the sidelines,well...he deserves to play in a grand final more than any other bloke on our list, but had to be a champion amongst duds in the peak of his career. Sad. Anyway thats a side note.

Midfield claim of best in the comp is to big a claim to make. Collingwood were missing Beams and Ball, two highly competent mids. Richmonds Engine room when it gets going is very very good, same with the Hawks and Sydney. Ours has the brownlow medalist though who is still in brownlow medal winning touch. Unbelievable form. I would have us in break even class with any in the comp though. Watson is Michael Voss like in his ability to shake a tag and impact a game when necessary. That bodes very well for us.

Our forward line is potent, looked very good with Licha finally getting touches on Anzac day. Perfect addition.

April premiers? Yes.
September Premiers? Hope so!!!!!!
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

gringo wrote:I'm with Choppwizzle.

If the players firmly believe they are the best team in the comp, I can't see why we can't do a number on everyone.

BRING. IT. ON.
Coming from an imbecile that continually stated that our list was junk over the past few years? Please.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Gimps wrote:
gringo wrote:I'm with Choppwizzle.

BRING. IT. ON.
Coming from an imbecile that continually stated that our list was junk over the past few years? Please.
What's happened with you two? You used to be as thick as thieves. Did one of you f*** the other's sister or something?
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I agree that we are potential contenders and the early signs are good, however, this is exactly what happened last year, so I will wait until the end of the season before I start cheering too loudly...

That said, this year feels very different to last year. The team looks more cohesive as a unit, our defensive pressure all over the ground is better, and even through all the investigations and media bullshit, the boys are still focussed on what's important...playing footy :D
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Injuries that tests depth decides premierships these days.
Revisit this at round 18 or so.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Depth that defies injuries decides premierships these days.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

You know what I mean?! :roll:
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

I really just want the investigation results to be in our favour and get through that...then I think I can enjoy this amazing football more even though I strongly believe we're fine...but there's always the little bit that gives into the media speculation and I doubt myself. But football wise we have improved so much. Geelong game will be huge. Can someone confirm if it will be Chappy's 250th? Hate milestone games. We have to keep beating the teams we should beat and being competitive with those around and above us in form.

So much more left....but the optimism I like.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Please. I might just wait until we win a final for the first time a decade before my pulse is raised, setting aside for a minute the potentially long-lasting ramifications any penalties imposed as a result of the PED investigation might have on us (personally i think we'll come through it ok aside from receiving a huge fine and losing a few senior administrative staff, but my opinion is no more informed than the next bod). When was the last time a team went from missing the finals to a flag from one year to the next, anyway? Adelaide, 1996-1997?

It takes a while to ingrain a strong winning culture and build enough depth in a list to win a flag. I think we really started doing that in earnest over the most recent pre-season, and it'll take a few more years before we're good enough to go all the way.
Geelong 2007? We have the man that knows how.

I agree with what you are saying. We have been burnt from here in the past. This year does seem different, but that might just be me being optimistic. If we can carry this form through the second half of the year then we can really get excited. If we are still in strong form come September we are better prepped for finals than in the past. Our current style of play is built for finals, and hence why it stood up in high pressure situations like v freo and Anzac day. The game plan we had under knights wasn't like that, and we saw the result.

We are a better chance right now than we have been at this (early) stage of the season for quite some time. But there is a long, long way to go just yet. As we saw last weekend, it takes one awkward landing to finish a season and change a team dynamic.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Interesting.

I can assure you I am loving the winning feeling as any of you.
ANZAC day was sensational. The win from behind against the Dockers had me repetitively screaming "David Myers - OUTSTANDING" (yeah - weird eh?!) over the boundary fence as the boys came off that I lost my voice for two days. The Adelaide win was solid as a rock.

But there have been things that have me deeply concerned. Our first half v the Dockers was woeful - dumb, poorly skilled, and we were smashed out of the middle. Just before the half on ANZAC Day the Pies were cutting a swathe through our defence and luckily for us they missed some very gettable shots that might have put us under more pressure come the 3rd quarter. The Saints should have never been within 6 goals - perhaps we were managing fitness for Thursday but I thought we were poor with our ball use against them also.

Early days - and love being 5 and 0. But Geelong, Hawks, Sydney, and dare I say even Carlton still to come - I'm not counting any chickens just yet. But f*** me do I hope I'm am proved wrong!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

f****** long way to go folks

As Jim says lets see how we go in a final first.... Actually lets just f****** make a final first
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

Hey Port are 5-0, any takers for them being Premiers

Seriously, talk about early calls...surely we are a contender for a Top 4-6 spot, so lets just get there and see what happens
Last edited by JockStraps on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Yeah, still far too early to be making these kind of calls. I will say that this is the most excited I've been about an Essendon side since 2000.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

JockStraps wrote:Hey Port are 5-0, any takers for them being Premiers
Ports record is deceiving though. They have played the 3 easy beats in the comp: GWS, Melb and Suns. They played the derby game which are usually always close regardless of ladder position. And last week the Eagles, which for whatever reason the eagles just choked up in the last half, but the eagles should have won.

So I dont rate Port and I do not expect them to even make the 8. Teams that are better than Port that have worse records are Nth, Carlton, Richmond, Freo, Hawks, Collingwood, Sydney.

Ess, Geel are undefeated and are both better than Port. I think that WCE are better too in spite of their recent loss.

Cant compare Port to us.

I want to see us against Hawks and Sydney first.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Agree. Hawthorn have beaten us by 15 and 10 goals in the last two meetings.

A side note, if we don't beat Geelong on May 10th, the cats are a show to go through the season undefeated. With kardinia park redevelopment backloading all their home games, they will be one hard side to beat in the back end of the season.