This Is What It's All About

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

This Is What It's All About

Post by robbie67 »

You guys that are a generation younger than guys like me, Rocky, Dodgey etc, have just lived through the 10 years we lived through in the 70's. It's over.

This week we play a genuine premiership contender, and for the first time in more than 10 years, we are one ourselves. We are finally at the stage where the list sits in perfect balance to challenge. We have excellent players across all lines, and all age groups. We have the basis for 6 to 8 years of contention. These big games are going to become par for the course. We are lucky that even when we have been down, we have still been able to get big game expierience into the group thanks to Anzac day, Carlton, and Dreamtime at the G. It's what will differentiate us from the likes of Freo who only play two big games a year.

Even if we dont win this week, we will still be right it in it up to our necks. It's only a matter time.

So dont let all this other bullshit detract from the excitment of what is about to come. Games against Hawthorn in the 80's, West Coast and Carlton in the early 90's, Carlton and North in the early 2000's are about to become the games against Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney, and Collingwood now. Be excited, because it's so much better than the irrelevent also ran we were just a few years ago.

The f****** lid is off.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: This Is What It's All About

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Thanks robbie! We need to try and keep being excited about the footy this year and into the future despite everything going on behind the scenes.

I was only 14 in 2000, i know that i took those wonderful winning years for granted and its making me all the more hungry to be a part of and enjoy the next phase of success at this mighty club!!
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Robbie - honestly, has your missus been putting out this week? It makes the world look more rosy. :wink:
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Have a look at this lot jumping on the bandwagon - Robbie, Gringo et al.

Been bagging the list for years, years of doom to come. Now everything is rosy. Give me a spell.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Wtf is this? LOL.

Not hating it Robbie ;)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Suffered the seventies as a little tacker. Remember it well. Eliminitis plagued us until 1983. Then the greatest thing I've ever witnessed / experienced was that 1984 premiership. It was a torturous period leading up to that.

I hope you're right Robert. There is a definite "edge" to the team this year. They appear more matured, more focused, and more united than ever. Their defensive game has improved outta sight - which is the key to winning the big games IMO.

Their aim shouldn't just be to make the finals, but to win them. Top 4 is a real possibility, and they must be ruthless in their belief to make it. This horrid saga may be the making of this group. The mental strength that have shown through this has been outstanding. It may be a defining moment.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Gimps wrote:Have a look at this lot jumping on the bandwagon - Robbie, Gringo et al.

Been bagging the list for years, years of doom to come. Now everything is rosy. Give me a spell.
We were right then, and we are right now.

How long has it been since someone could come into the side, kick 9 goals in 3 weeks, and then not be expected to get a game the 4th week? It's the first time in over 10 years, the forwards, backs, mids, and rucks as groups have ALL been above average. We have real depth in all four of those groups.

Watson, Stanton, Carlisle, Hibberd, Goodard, Heppell, and even Bellchambers could all be All Australians right now. Three of them absolute certanties.

Youre just scared Gimpa...........like a little girl worried about bringing the mozz.

How good are we going if we can give our back up ruckman a in season vacation in Frogsville?
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

robbie67 wrote:
Gimps wrote:Have a look at this lot jumping on the bandwagon - Robbie, Gringo et al.

We were right then, and we are right now.
No, robbie you werent right then and this post from you is laughable. You can be very aggressive on these boards jumping down peoples throats and what not, calling people morons because they dont share the same view as you. But the fact of the matter is you were wrong and you arent even big enough to admit it. I quickly did a search because I have read you bag the crap out of this playing list many times as of just last season, so just to refresh your memory:
robbie67 wrote:Sun Aug 19, 2012
Carlton are not even a contender. Their bottom 8 is rubbish, and the supporters are even more deluded than ours. We have maybe 8 or 9 blokes that are good enough to play in a premiership. The rest arent worth pissing on.
Thats not even 12 months ago, man. The list hasnt even changed that much. We got rid of players that barely played last year for the most part in, McVeigh, Slattery, Reimers, Prismal and Welsh. Monfries got a regular game and he is obviously gone now too. But like I said, aside from Monfries they barely got a game. The rest of the team, that according to you arent good enough to play in a premiership and arent worth pissing on are all still there playing week in and out. Even the much despised Hooker.

All we got in return aside from Goddard(who is a ready made player) are draft picks, who obviously have not contributed to the on field wins this season.

Mrs Mecuri , was looking forward to a great spine this year and was excited.
Mrs Mercuri wrote:What a spine....

Carlisle
Hurley
Watson
Gumbleton
Daniher
But you did not share the same sentiment with her.
robbie67 wrote:Yeah, I'm sure the top 4 must be shitting themselves.
How quickly you have changed your tune. We are a legit top 4 threat, but please dont try and claim you were right, because you werent.

Either way, its good to see you happy in here as is everyone else. Hopefully we can be first to 17.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Not ejaculating my lid off just yet

Still not 100% convinced and don't want to get burned again like I have 2 of the last 3 years
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Sorry DC, did we play finals last year did we? I must have missed it.

List hasnt changed much? Gee, I wonder why NLM cant get a game then? Names maybe the same, but I guess Carlisle is the same footballer he was last year then? That's right I remember all the convos about him being All Australian.

The poise of Goddard was a bonus last year too......but oh yeah, he was wearing white with his red and black last year wasnt he? Oh was that Heppell doing his stuff in the mid-field last year, so teams cant just tag Stanton has a matter of course?

But thanks for going to all that effort though to try and find something you think I have gotten wrong. Did you ejaculate when you thought you found it?
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

By the way, I dont really get the hostility. I cant recall ever be-littling your posts, or showing you any lack of respect. I admit I can be an a grade c***, but I usually save it for those derserving, and I am just as big a c*** in everyday life as I am in here.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

And here we were thinking you shared your c*** iness far and wide, for all to enjoy ;)
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

robbie67 wrote:By the way, I dont really get the hostility. I cant recall ever be-littling your posts, or showing you any lack of respect. I admit I can be an a grade c***, but I usually save it for those derserving, and I am just as big a c*** in everyday life as I am in here.
Robbie, I didnt mean any real disrespect to you as a person, although it could easily come across that way. But your extremely vocal style of posting makes me remember your posts more so than others at times. So that is why I remember you bagging the list.

For the most part I like reading your posts when I do log on here and agree with most of what you write. However in this case it just seemed rather hypocritical to me.

I did probably post what I did in a belittling way and I apologize for that. Should have posted what I did better. But like you I can be harsh at times too, its a character fault I am still working on.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

No probs. Happy to take it because I dish it out, was just a bit surprised where it came from.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Megan wrote:And here we were thinking you shared your c*** iness far and wide, for all to enjoy ;)
I save a special form of c*** iness for you and the goat my dear.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

And it hasn't gone unnoticed ;)
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Nice reading, got me fired up. Not sure if I'm 100% a believer just yet....but geez I hope you're right. If a (rightly) cynical bastard like you is starting to get all excited then maybe we all need to loosen up and join in.

Long way to go in 2013 yet...fingers crossed.
Like a turd in the swimming pool, these are the days of our EFC lives
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Bring out the gardening tools next time Robbie :wink:
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

robbie67 wrote: I admit I can be an a grade c***, but I usually save it for those derserving

Aye, I can vouch for that....

Therapy is going well, thanks Rob

:wink:
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Having been often accused of sliding on the rose coloured glasses more than once and having witnessed the 2012 meltdown, I am a bit hesitant in going early.

But I do agree with Robbie that line for line we have not been in a better position since 2000. I cannot find a real weakness in what I believe will be the team to front the Pussies and even my nemeses; Cale H has put some really good games together this year.

I also witnessed the ritual floggings of the '70's and the carthetic rebirth in the '80's under Sheeds. The team of 2000 was probably the best and most rounded outfit I have witnessed and anything less than an 8 goal win was considered a poor result.

The current team has yet to really prove itself in regard to overall success, but it is not hard to draw comparisons to 2000.

Win or lose this week, I believe that the momentum is there, and like most others, the feeling that someting really great is just around the corner.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark