Changes

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Changes

Post by robbie67 »

In: Ryder, Stanton, Dempsey, Merrett

Out: Davey (Inj) Gumbleton, NLM, Hardingham

If Stanton or Dempsey dont come up, bring in Kav or Colyer. I dread a month of Leroy.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Re: Changes

Post by tonysoprano »

Yep.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Ditto
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Too many changes this week.

3-4 next week tops. Should they be available. It is Brisbane.....can afford to rest a few. And yes I did see GWS game.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

robbie67 wrote:In: Ryder, Stanton, Dempsey, Merrett

Out: Davey (Inj) Gumbleton, NLM, Hardingham

If Stanton or Dempsey dont come up, bring in Kav or Colyer. I dread a month of Leroy.
pretty much the same except leave Hardingham in and out Kommer
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

I really like the way Gumby competes, but I just don't see how we can leave out Ryder. Have to go in with two rucks. Belly was completely out on his feet yesterday. Chasing around two ruck men, one of which was a long distance runner!

Would love to play them all, but can't go too tall.
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

danstar84 wrote:I really like the way Gumby competes, but I just don't see how we can leave out Ryder. Have to go in with two rucks. Belly was completely out on his feet yesterday. Chasing around two ruck men, one of which was a long distance runner!

Sorry if this has become an unpopular way of thinking, Hurley to CHB, Carlisle to FB - Fletch to roam

We may as well let Gumby go now if he cant keep his place. Otherwise what was the point in retaining him for another season??

Hurley remains unqualified to be a Key Forward. Even Harry Taylor kicked a bag of 5 a week or so ago - doesn't make him a forward!!

Hurley is competitive and can have his moments in the F5O but I would prefer to see Gumby given more time at CHF, Crammers at FF with either Ryder and Bellchambers resting in the forward pocket. Surely this gives us the best structure and allows us to retain our best players. Put it this way, if its not Gumby, its going to be Daniher - so a long term solution needs to be identified either way. In my humble opinion, Hurley has the potential to become the Leagues best CHB. I seriously doubt he will reach the same level at CHF
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

JockStraps wrote:
danstar84 wrote:I really like the way Gumby competes, but I just don't see how we can leave out Ryder. Have to go in with two rucks. Belly was completely out on his feet yesterday. Chasing around two ruck men, one of which was a long distance runner!

We may as well let Gumby go now if he cant keep his place. Otherwise what was the point in retaining him for another season??
He just has to improve below his knees. It's something he can work on. But until he does it, he should only play when we dont have other options.
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

robbie67 wrote:
JockStraps wrote:

He just has to improve below his knees. It's something he can work on. But until he does it, he should only play when we dont have other options.
But what about Hurley back - remember Gumby is kicking his 2-3 goals a game Hurls isn't. Additionally Gumby has had more goal assists than Hurley this season from my observation. (happy to be corrected on this one) Hurley does draw the best defender which may flatter Gumby's performances to a degree but that's not sufficient justification for Hurley up forward at this point in time.

I would like Hird to give it a go. I noticed that he dropped Gumby into defence for a short time in the last qtr yesterday - why not Hurley who is a proven quality defender?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Don't understand the thinking on Gumbleton to be honest. He's kicked 11 goals in 4 games. That a 55 goal season if he keeps that up. Yes, he has to do more work, but he is contributing nicely at the moment. And I don't reckon he's at his peak fitness this season yet - stamina wise. He still contributed just as much as Tomahawk at the other end. One thing is for certain, his kicking for goal has improved outta sight.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Who do you drop then Jock? Hooker, Carlysle, or Fletcher?

He is going ok Benny, for where he is at. He doesnt do much more than kick goals though. Hurley, while poor, and underdone last night, does so much more.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

JockStraps wrote:Sorry if this has become an unpopular way of thinking, Hurley to CHB, Carlisle to FB - Fletch to roam
Hurley remains unqualified to be a Key Forward. Even Harry Taylor kicked a bag of 5 a week or so ago - doesn't make him a forward!!
robbie67 wrote:Who do you drop then Jock? Hooker, Carlysle, or Fletcher?
Hooker. Without question. He's been better this year, but I still think he's a liability and the team as a whole would be better with Hurley in the backline.

Also this:
BenDoolan wrote:Don't understand the thinking on Gumbleton to be honest. He's kicked 11 goals in 4 games. That a 55 goal season if he keeps that up. Yes, he has to do more work, but he is contributing nicely at the moment. And I don't reckon he's at his peak fitness this season yet - stamina wise. He still contributed just as much as Tomahawk at the other end. One thing is for certain, his kicking for goal has improved outta sight.
I thought his second efforts were a little better this week. Still not great, but better than Anzac Day.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Fletcher, Carlisle, Hurley

Gumby, Crameri, Ryder/Belly

clearly they would be the best backs and forwards, but they are dead set on having Hurley up forward and Hooker in the team..... blows me away really

also Fletch isn't (well maybe) going to be there forever and can't have hooker getting cranky and leaving... who bloody knows
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

Throw Daniher in the mix and we have a serious selection dilemma
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I swear some of you people don't watch our games. Drop Hooker? Give me a ****** spell. No.1 in the league for intercept marks, his direct opponents are doing anything special, he's been solid as a f****** rock.

Based on Friday night, if you want to be serious about form, Carlisle would get dropped.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

actually your probably right, Hurley would have to take Carlisle's role, Hooker plays on the second forward and doing quite well, it's when he needs to take the #1 forward is when we run into trouble

anyway faith in TRB for me
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Gimps wrote:I swear some of you people don't watch our games. Drop Hooker? Give me a ****** spell. No.1 in the league for intercept marks, his direct opponents are doing anything special, he's been solid as a f****** rock.

Based on Friday night, if you want to be serious about form, Carlisle would get dropped.
Fletcher was worse. I can't remember him playing that badly.

Hooker and Carlisle have been great all year, whilst those two are fit and we still have Fletcher there isn't even room for Hurley to go back. Good forwards aren't that easy to find and Hurley is a good forward, better than Gumbleton. Hurley just didn't play that well on the weekend, it happens.

We are really lucky to have all these good tall players and I guess it's a good head ache to have. The problem is every time we lose it's gonna get brought up because players like Hurley and Ryder are so versitile. Throw Daninher in the mix next year or even later on this year and it's going to be a nightmare.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Gimps wrote:I swear some of you people don't watch our games. Drop Hooker? Give me a ****** spell. No.1 in the league for intercept marks, his direct opponents are doing anything special, he's been solid as a f****** rock.
His opponents are nobody, so of course they're doing nothing. Hurley would be BOG most weeks in his role. And I'm still not convinced on Hooker's disposal or decision making.

Also I'll add that you sound like Sismis with your intercept marks stat.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Davey confirmed out, Stanton and Dempsey looking to play.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013- ... h-brisbane
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

j-mac31 wrote:
His opponents are nobody, so of course they're doing nothing. Hurley would be BOG most weeks in his role. And I'm still not convinced on Hooker's disposal or decision making.

Also I'll add that you sound like Sismis with your intercept marks stat.
Stat contradicts your opinion, must be irrelevant.