Jackie M.'s report from BB

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Filthy

Jackie M.'s report from BB

Post by Filthy »

about this morning.

Intraclub Practice Match played in hot conditions at Princes Park played opver three 20 min. quarters.

Absent Dyson, Ramanaskus, Campo, Lee, Reimers, Nash

Bench - Aaron Henneman sat on the bench.

Injured during game: Lloyd came off at quarter time after starring with 2 goals on Danny Chatres. Possible groin.

Lovett came off late in the second quarter after playing well. He fell on the ground, possibly on top of the ball and Lonegron fell on top of him. Most likely ribs - possible groin.

This was the best practice match so far with two fairly evenly matched teams played at speed and with a fair degree of intensity - e.g. Lovett Murray laid a beautiful tackle on Basha and drove his head into the turf. The overall standard was good although 18 goals and 15 behinds with a few out on the full was a disdappointing ratio.

Goal scorers: Neagle 4, Lloyd, Lucas 2, Monfries, Watson, Peverill, Welsh, Lovett, JJ, Bradley, Heffernan, Houli, McKinnon.

Comments on players:

Gumbleton - showed a little in the third quarter although unable to kick right foot. I thought he read the play a bit better in this quarter but did little in the first and was off for the second.

Watson - picked up many possessions, good handball, kicking fair.

Hird - played very well especially in the first quarter. Used the ball well apart from missing a simple set shot.

Jetta - got his fair share of the ball and will profit from the experience but tended to be wasteful with his kicks.

Winderlich - played well for entire game and was good at directing the ball down the central corridor.

Peverill - Played very well and won plenty of the ball all over the ground.

Welsh - Very good game. Ran all day and provided a valuable link and used the ball fairly well.

JJ - Good experience3d performance including a goal which is what Sheedy is looking for.

Dempsey - Brilliant paqce and finding more of the ball than last year. Good evasive skills. Wasteful with some of his kicks.

Bradley - Close to BOG. Won many possessions in a roaming role, was generally a good user of the ball and kicked a lovely long goal after running around the man on the mark.

Hille - Surprisingly not used in the ruck.

Slattery - was prominent on a number of occassions - good game.

Mal Michael - played well early but was soundly outpointed by Neagle who kicked four.

Bolton - steady game pretty much error free.

Stanton - ran all game. Good performance.

Lucas - always dangerous, good game apart from kicking four behinds.

Laycock - rucked all day against McKinnon and looked very fit. Won the hitouts 19/9

Cole - excellent game, ran hard, good second efforts and nearly always used the ball effectively.

Houli - his best game so far. Got a lot of the ball on the half forward line and kicked a goal. Looks like he is learning.

Neagle - excellent game. Looked at home on the forward line and challenges the Messiah based on todays gamke. Led and marked well, kicked four straight - two from snaps and two from set shots. His second efforts from spoilt masrks were a good sign.

Lonegron - came into the game in the third quarter in particular.

Hocking - spilled two easy marks and did a bad handball turnover but won possessions all day and used the ball effectively. An impressive game for a rookie.

Chatres - although outpointed he showed a number of encouraging signs for such an inexperienced player. He could be a good pickup.

McKinnon - beaten in the ruck but was very competitive for someone with no senior experience. Encouraging.

Davey - fine game especially his pace, evasion and tackling. A lot more to him than a goalosneak.

Encouraging signs for the NAB cup.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

The standouts for me were:

Cole - hard running,got plenty of it
Neagle - Outmarked Michael on a couple of occassions and presented very well
McKinnon - Took some good grabs around the ground and has a strong presence, got beaten in the hitouts but still looked encouraging
Houli - Works his ass off, runs hard and to the right spots.
McVeigh/Welsh - played similiar roles and set up a lot of the play and forward entries
Lloyd - Good to see him taking grabs like that again
Peverill - Very very impressive, got a lot of it and his disposal was probably the best all day.

Other comments:

Jetta/Dempsey - Quick, flashy and so much potential, but turned over the ball a lot
Cloke - knows how to play football his skill level just doesnt let him
Davey - Quiet but when he got it showed a bit
Gumby - will be a player, but lacks confidence at this stage
Ryder - Never going to be a defender
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Aaron Henneman???.....He's not on the list any more is he??
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

Lloydy injured? Please tell me its not true!
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

He said on Sports Tonight just a little while ago that he just got a corky and came off as a precaution, but felt good when he was out there. :D
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Who was Keps on? Interesting to see Mal got outplayed...
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

I think Kep played on a wing, can't remember who he was on though.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Henno on the bench? Hell I should've gone eh Ross? ;)
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

Ossie wrote:He said on Sports Tonight just a little while ago that he just got a corky and came off as a precaution, but felt good when he was out there. :D
Phew.....

I am really getting excited about Jay Neagle. 4 is a fine effort. Did he play on Mal the whole game? You add him to the forward line with Lloyd, Lucas, Johns and with Monfries and Lovett as crumpers that is seriously potent. Or do people think he need needs to be groomed for a defensive post?
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

2QIK4U wrote:
Ossie wrote:He said on Sports Tonight just a little while ago that he just got a corky and came off as a precaution, but felt good when he was out there. :D
Phew.....

I am really getting excited about Jay Neagle. 4 is a fine effort. Did he play on Mal the whole game? You add him to the forward line with Lloyd, Lucas, Johns and with Monfries and Lovett as crumpers that is seriously potent. Or do people think he need needs to be groomed for a defensive post?
I wouldn't get to excited.

Young guys go at it like a bull at gate pre-season....old timers take it easy and wait for the real stuff. It like the story of the old bull and young bull on top of the hill overlooking a pasture full of cows.

Young bull says "Lets rush down there and f*** one of those cows."

Old bull says "No. Lets walk down and f*** them all" :wink:
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

Megan wrote:Who was Keps on?
For a part of the time, I saw that he was running with Hird. And during most of that time, they seemed to have a fair bit of space between them.

It was interesting to watch Hird run down the spine, moving to contests on the flanks if needed, but no further. But you found Kep moving from boundary to boundary getting his possesions.

Good management by Hird or Kep finally branching out and backing himself??
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

The things that excited me from the game;

Fletch kicking from the CHB line to marking targets on the F50. Granted it was Princess Park, but the already long kicking by Fletch was a weapon, where he was kicking to a one on one contest rather than a flooded Essendon F50. Look for many Fletch goal assists if he stays on this line.

Hille in attacking role. He is generally a good mark and his kicking better than 50/50. Pinch hitting in the F50 could provide us with a few rewards.

Hocking (already nicknamed Budda). This kid has it. He moved to the right spots, he kicked well, he was at the bottom of packs and he has a solid frame to work from. Some of his turn overs were caused by overdoing the team thing, rther than backing his judgement. Look for him to play a few games this year.

Davey. Can this guy move. Good NAB showings will have him in our starting 22 come round 1.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Hopefully it is all a sign of things to come for Kep. Finally show why he was taken so high in his draft.

Would also keep a lot of nay sayers very quiet this season if he does
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

2QIK4U wrote:
Phew.....

honestly i'd like to see him become a key forward in the future but it'd be a fight out for FF between Johns and him with Gumbleton, assumingly, taking CHF in the future. the coaching staff have hinted that he might play down back with him spending most of his VFL time (in the games i've seen) down back. He's also apparently already said CHB is where he wants to play.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

thanks for the reports guys, sounds very promising, I cant wait for nab cup to start so I can see some of these guys play for myself.
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

I was stunned by how quick Davey was. The guy was a tackling machine. Never stopped chasing. Was great to watch. Will be good to have him putting pressure on opposition ball getters.

Thought Lloydie looked like his old self until he went off. And Bachar looked good too. He has the build to play senior footy for sure... :wink:
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

I forgot to mention that Gary O'Donnell asked Lloyd how he was feeling at the quarter time (1/3rd time lol) break as GO'D said that he looked like he was favouring the one leg. Lloyd suggested that he was still right to go.....much to the amusement of all his team mates.

Needless to say he went to the bench.

Good to see some spirit from him.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

bomberdonnie wrote:Hopefully it is all a sign of things to come for Kep. Finally show why he was taken so high in his draft.

Would also keep a lot of nay sayers very quiet this season if he does
Not at all. If he is going to be a wingman, why didn't they draft a quicker wingman with better skills and a better footy brain?