Changes vs Richmond

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Changes vs Richmond

Post by JockStraps »

We have to fix a miss firing structure and quickly or else we could be looking at more losses over the next 3-4 weeks. Coming up we have mid table and thereabouts Richmond, reigning Premier in Sydney, then arch rival Carlton at the G. The final game before the mid year break is Gold Coast who are showing some real signs that they are on the way up – by no means a gimme (especially when you consider how we struggled to lowly GWS three weeks ago)

I genuinely believe Michael Hurley, a no doubt talented footballer is at the root of our problems

Hurley’s “crash bang” style sees him as a regular medical case. This year alone he has had three incidents that have surely raised eyebrows in the coaching box as to his durability. A wrist injury against Freo (aggravating the same problem he had last year which had required surgery). An ankle injury against the Saints keeping him out for a couple of weeks and now, although this is more a case of bad luck than physical vulnerability, a concussion against Brisbane. This is on the back of numerous problems in the past. Let’s be honest, the guy is an insurers nightmare. He reminds me in many ways of Mark Harvey when he first started out. Harvey was a dynamic half forward flanker but his bravery and willingness to be the first to any contest resulted in him suffering constant injuries. Harvey however was a natural forward which in Hurley’s case is debatable. After about 6 years of relentless stress to his body, Harvey was shifted to the backline where he admirably held down the CHB position for several years thereafter - in fact he won an All Australian jumper in this position in 1993, a Premiership year and played with distinction as a defender until the end of his career. Importantly, he remained injury free in the less explosive defensive role

Hurley was primarily a defender in his junior football years. He was drafted as a key defender and played his first game as a key defender taking on and beating the powerful Port Adelaide CHF, Warren Treadrea – it was a remarkable debut. However, as the team has continued to struggle over the last 5 years in settling on a balanced and stable forward line, Hurley has found himself being swung from one end of the field to another. The failure of Scott Gumbleton to overcome his injuries was partially the reason. The sudden retirements of Lloyd and Lucas probably a factor as well. I recall Hurley playing a game against Hawthorn about 4 years ago where he came off the bench in the second half and provided some real spark up forward including bombing a left foot goal from 55M – its seems from this point everyone has wanted to turn the guy into a Wayne Carey like CHF. He is not and never will be a Wayne Carey power forward. In reality, he is more similar to Stuart Crameri in style – a ball winner rather than a pack marker. Crameri however does have a good set of hands and leads to the ball far more naturally than Hurley. Hurley is uncomfortable marking the ball in his hands preferring to chest mark – not a good trait for a power forward.

Like Harvey before him, I believe that for Hurley to truly realize his potential and as such justify his 500K per annum salary, he has to go back to defence. If that means pushing a solid but unspectacular Cale Hooker to the reserves then so be it. Anyway, with Fletcher surely retiring at the end of this season (next year at the latest), then Hooker, if his form warrants it, has a place in the team, even with Hurley in the key CHB post. Carlisle of course can take the other tall forward giving us an incredibly solid defence.

Which brings me to Gumby. I firmly believe he will continue to improve as he adjusts to the game after so many years of injury. The guy has still only played 35 games and wont reach the a level of confidence and experience to be naturally comfortable on the field until he has played 50-75 games. However, he has shown me enough this year to say he will be a huge asset up forward. If he had been a 19 year old playing his 35th game we would be calling him the next big thing. We have to give this guy every chance to play football this year so when his contract expires, we can confidently offer him a 2 year renewal. Sure, Joe Daniher is in the wings but at this stage Joe, despite his promise, has shown us nothing at senior level. Who knows, maybe the twin towers of Daniher and Gumbleton could work together with Crameri providing the ground level grunt. It is also quite possible that Daniher evolves into a ruckman which would again leave us reliant on Gumbleton as the key marking forward.

Against Brisbane we were shown to be very naïve in team selection and balance – a reliance on Hurley again failed to deliver and this time (unlike the St Kilda game where Gumbleton flourished in Hurley’s departure from the ground) we had no back up. As such the forward line was a mess with Watson being dropped into a deep full forward role – what a waste of his talents.

So here is the team we should pick for this weekends important game against Richmond (assuming Hurley and Davey are fit)

FB - Hibberd Carlisle Fletcher
HB - Dempsey Hurley Hooker
C - Myers Watson Heppell
HF - Zaharakis Gumbleton Winderlich
FF - Crameri Ryder Davey
Ruck – Bellchambers, Stanton Goddard
I/C - Howlett, Hocking, Melksham,
Substitute – Kommer

In - Gumbleton, Dempsey, Davey
Out – Merrett, Kavanagh, Baguely
Last edited by JockStraps on Mon May 20, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Changes vs Richmond

Post by robbie67 »

I appreciate all of the effort you have gone to in that post, but something you have not addressed, and which I believe is the massive hole in your case for Gumby, is the fact that he can doesnt provide much more than a marking option. He is woeful below his knees, he doesnt have much aerobic capacity, and if he doesnt mark the ball, and kick a goal, he offers little else.

Now for all his current limitations, I also "believe" areas of his game will improve. But for now, unless you are going to kick 75-100 goals a year, you just cant be one dimensional. If we are going to move Hurley back, which I am not convinced will work anyway, we should bring Daniher in, and see what he has.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Oh,

In: Dempsey Davey Colyer

Out: Melksham Merrett Kommer
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:Oh,

In: Dempsey Davey Colyer

Out: Melksham Merrett Kommer
Totally agree there. And if Hurley doesn't come up, I would play JD. He's gotta play at some stage.

While Melkshambolic tried hard, I don't think he has what it takes to keep up with the speed of the game.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Is Davey a chance? I thought he was looking at a 3 week hammy?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tonysoprano wrote:Is Davey a chance? I thought he was looking at a 3 week hammy?
Was listed as a 1-2 week injury. So maybe it will be 5.

If he's not fit, then we all know the match committee will select Leroy Jetta because it's Dreamtime at the G.

Disappointed that Nobby O'Brien is doing SFA in the VFL.
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:
If he's not fit, then we all know the match committee will select Leroy Jetta because it's Dreamtime at the G.
Sheeds isn't our coach anymore
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Sheeds isn't our coach anymore
Just watch. Hirdy is an apprentice. He'll also bring in Disco!

So we'll see the match committe go;

Out: Kommer, Merrett

In: Jetta, NLM
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Back line of Hurley, Carlisle, Fletcher and Hooker is to tall.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Richmond's tall backs are junk. For the first time this year, I am going to say, bring in Tiny Daniher.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Definitely lacked aggression against Bris. Avg tackles for the yr before the game: 65v55, vBris 49v72.

Explains our efficiency: Stanton had 20 poss at 50% & 7 clangers. Merrett 54%, Kommer 55%, Zaka 57%, Winder 60%. We had 6 players above 80%.
They had 2 players below 60% & 10 above 80%.

Also went handball crazy. Avg handballs: 147, vBris 176. Kicks 232, vBris 222.
Forward line dysfunctional as per the past few weeks. Went i50 61-39 (avg: 60-45) & marks i50: 11v14.

So, if it wasn't obvious enough to see with your eyes, you could sum all that crap up as: We had enough of it & wasted it, & didn't put enough pressure on the opposition.

Will be good to be back at the G after 3 crap Etihad games. Go with Robbie's changes (assuming Davey is ok).
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Royza wrote:Definitely lacked aggression against Bris. Avg tackles for the yr before the game: 65v55, vBris 49v72.

Explains our efficiency: Stanton had 20 poss at 50% & 7 clangers. Merrett 54%, Kommer 55%, Zaka 57%, Winder 60%. We had 6 players above 80%.

Forward line dysfunctional as per the past few weeks. Went i50 61-39 (avg: 60-45) & marks i50: 11v14.

So, if it wasn't obvious enough to see with your eyes, you could sum all that crap up as: We had enough of it & wasted it, & didn't put enough pressure on the opposition.

Will be good to be back at the G after 3 crap Etihad games. Go with Robbie's changes (assuming Davey is ok).
I was very disappointed with Stants on game day. I thought his panic kicking was a thing if the past, but he constantly threw it onto the boot without much thought at all. And he got trapped with kicking the ball with the man on the mark a couple of times. Expect a lot better from someone approaching 200 games.
Essendunny
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

boncer34 wrote:Back line of Hurley, Carlisle, Fletcher and Hooker is to tall.

Don't think it would hurt...but bear in mind the succession planning with Fletch starting to look more and more likely to retire this year

If it is too top heavy then maybe Hooker should be dropped. Its Hooker in the backline or Gumby in the forward line that may have to make way for Hurley (harsh on Hooker as he has been good but the again, so has Gumby)
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

robbie67 wrote:I appreciate all of the effort you have gone to in that post, but something you have not addressed, and which I believe is the massive hole in your case for Gumby, is the fact that he can doesnt provide much more than a marking option. He is woeful below his knees, he doesnt have much aerobic capacity, and if he doesnt mark the ball, and kick a goal, he offers little else.

Now for all his current limitations, I also "believe" areas of his game will improve. But for now, unless you are going to kick 75-100 goals a year, you just cant be one dimensional. If we are going to move Hurley back, which I am not convinced will work anyway, we should bring Daniher in, and see what he has.

I look at it this way - Gumby is below his knees as Hurley is above his head - if its a KPP marking forward we are looking for, Hurley is at the moment, not our man. As I said in my post, a move back for Hurley, apart from anything else, may save the guy from repeated injury.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

I don't believe this post. There was a pretty handy guy playing forward for the lions.

Initals JB mean anything to you?

Thats what hurley offers the side up forward for us. Forget playing him in the backline.

Heck if Merret hadnt KOed him i think we would be 7 and 1
Koala
Champion of Essendon

Post by Koala »

just a heads up if you were planning on going and haven't bought tickets left - there's less than 2000 seats left!
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

little_ripper wrote:I don't believe this post. There was a pretty handy guy playing forward for the lions.

Initals JB mean anything to you?

Thats what hurley offers the side up forward for us. Forget playing him in the backline.

Heck if Merret hadnt KOed him i think we would be 7 and 1

Comparing Hurley to Jon Brown is well, amusing. Yep, both courageous players but honestly, that's where the comparison ends (on current form)
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Royza wrote:Definitely lacked aggression against Bris. Avg tackles for the yr before the game: 65v55, vBris 49v72.

Sounds awfully like a Knights coached EFC doesnt it?
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

bomberdonnie wrote: Sounds awfully like a Knights coached EFC doesnt it?
If the wheel continues to turn à la previous seasons, you can expect the i50s to drop off as well & 2nd 1/2 of the season thumpings as per usual.

If that happens you have to question (if you haven't already) the player's mental well-being, or the inability of the coaches to be able to get them in the right state to perform at their best.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Royza wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote: Sounds awfully like a Knights coached EFC doesnt it?
If the wheel continues to turn à la previous seasons, you can expect the i50s to drop off as well & 2nd 1/2 of the season thumpings as per usual.

If that happens you have to question (if you haven't already) the player's mental well-being, or the inability of the coaches to be able to get them in the right state to perform at their best.
Isn't that what the highly paid sports psychologists are for?

Otherwise its time to make Tony Robbins an honory member of the coaching staff (...at least Barassi simply employed a hypnotist while at Norf)...

s'd
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)