Have I missed something?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
ace076
Regular Senior Player

Have I missed something?

Post by ace076 »

We, after so much suffering, have finally got a list together that is fast becoming the envy of other clubs. All I keep reading on here is trade Gumby, trade Hooker etc. WTF!!!!!! We need depth, the season is long, and we, as much as any team should know how injuries cripple a side. Gumby, untouchable IMO. Hooker ditto, Bellchambers too. Fletch and Hille to retire most likely, Hurley covers Fletch, tommy needed in Ruck, big Joe can cover too. Our forward line needs Gumby and Joe firing and working together. Crameri then becomes a bonus, not a focus. That is when we become a very good side IMO. Mentions of Yarran for Gumby are truly sad! No thank you. Big forwards don't grow on trees, players like Yarran, are a dime a dozen. See Jetta. Pears would probably only be surplass to requirements due lack of opportunity. Maybe, hardingham too. After paying Gumby for 5 years for virtually nothing, I would NOT be rushing him out the door when it appears he is about to deliver! If he requests a move, different story. I might be in the minority, but I certainly hope not!
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

Founding Captain of the Bombertalk Blacks.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Have I missed something?

Post by robbie67 »

It's the biggest myth of all time that players like Yarran are "a dime a dozen". If that was the case, how come we cant find any? And please comparing Jetta to him is just laughable. One can play, the other cant. We have a stock pile of talls, and Gumby will not get a game for us for years. He is the most injury prone, so get something good while we can. Teams that sit on their hands and do nothing go nowhere.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

robbie67 wrote:It's the biggest myth of all time that players like Yarran are "a dime a dozen". If that was the case, how come we cant find any? And please comparing Jetta to him is just laughable. One can play, the other cant. We have a stock pile of talls, and Gumby will not get a game for us for years. He is the most injury prone, so get something good while we can. Teams that sit on their hands and do nothing go nowhere.
Agreed, there is simply no way we can keep ALL our talls on the list and for all of them to be happy. Some will miss out and im sure will seek greater opportunities elsewhere. It would be great to keep them all but in reality I doubt we can. IF Fletcher retired this year then perhaps we could keep both Pears and Gumby, otherwise I have a feeling one will go.
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

2 points

We may have no choice re Gumby if he is not guaranteed first team football

Secondly, Pears after the game yesterday is clearly not surplus to our requirements
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robbie67 wrote:It's the biggest myth of all time that players like Yarran are "a dime a dozen". If that was the case, how come we cant find any? And please comparing Jetta to him is just laughable. One can play, the other cant. We have a stock pile of talls, and Gumby will not get a game for us for years. He is the most injury prone, so get something good while we can. Teams that sit on their hands and do nothing go nowhere.
Indeed.

And seeing as we can't seem to get the best out of Ryder unless he plays as the only ruckman, we should consider trading him or Bellchambers.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

j-mac31 wrote:
And seeing as we can't seem to get the best out of Ryder unless he plays as the only ruckman, we should consider trading him or Bellchambers.
Thanks j-mac.
That's just the phrase I should've captured myself at some point. Should definitely think about trading Ryder, though I think we signed him on a long term deal not too long ago.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
Thanks j-mac.
That's just the phrase I should've captured myself at some point. Should definitely think about trading Ryder, though I think we signed him on a long term deal not too long ago.
Signed last season for 4 years.
Essendunny
ace076
Regular Senior Player

Post by ace076 »

Wasn't comparing Jetta to Yarran in terms of ability, more reliability under pressure. All my Carlton mates speak of him in the same vain we do of Leroy. No thanks, not even for free. Am I right in assuming Gumby can't be traded given he will be out of contract? If so, you guys are really willing to let him walk for free? Surprising. Bellchambers should be untouchable IMO.
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

ace076 wrote:Wasn't comparing Jetta to Yarran in terms of ability, more reliability under pressure. All my Carlton mates speak of him in the same vain we do of Leroy. No thanks, not even for free. Am I right in assuming Gumby can't be traded given he will be out of contract? If so, you guys are really willing to let him walk for free? Surprising. Bellchambers should be untouchable IMO.
No, you're not right. We can trade an out of contract Gumbleton. In fact it's more likely he will get traded because he's out of contract.

Yarran shits all over Jetta, I would swap Gumbleton for Yarran in a heartbeat. You can't be serious saying you wouldn't take Yarran for free, maybe you shouldn't rely on your Carlton mates to form an opinion of him. Watch a Carlton match, the blokes a gun.
ace076
Regular Senior Player

Post by ace076 »

Ok, so that clears it up, we can trade Gumby even though he is out if contract. Wasnt aware of that. All I know, I have seen Yarran cost carlton three games this year with errors in crunch time of games. Not interested. [-X
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

this is what I was going to post.

gumby is at the end of the pecking order for us. we have a plethora of talls ATM. Hille doesnt count as he is not getting a game anyway and plays ruck, gumby does not ruck(pinch hit maybe). Fletcher will probably retire at seasons end as he seems to be getting injured now, plus its probably time. Better to walk out on your own terms than be forced out. Our back line finally looks like it will stand strong without the great fletch for first time in a LONG time.

Gumby is damaged goods. its sounds horrible to say that, but we must get something for him while we can. the fact he is healthy and cant get a game really does say something. i would take yarran for sure, he would slot in nicely across half back for us along side Pig and Demps.

Talls:

Hurley
Crameri
Daniher
Ryder
Bellchambers
Carslile
Hooker
Pears

We should definitely trade Gumby with the talls we have available. We have got nothing from him in 5 odd years, best we get something for him while we still can. I know its not gumbys fault, poor guy, but it is a professional sport and the club must do what it has to do.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

nudder12 wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
Thanks j-mac.
Leuenberger just re-signed with Brisbane and he was GWS's main ruck target.
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

From all accounts, we are entering a period of salary cap squeeze. Smart move now would be to consider trading Gumby and Bellchambers, both of whom would attract Sub 30 draft picks. This would help us build further in mid sized half forwards or midfielders at low initial salaries whilst limiting the impact to the squad by letting go of player types who we are already well catered for
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Gumby - maybe (and a big maybe)

TBC - not a f****** chance - we would have 1 ruckman left if we traded TBC. Everyone talks about getting another rookie ruck - why the f*** would we do that when we have a quality ruckman already? Ryder is good for at least 3-5 weeks off per year with injury or suspension so we need another ruck and not some spud that just runs around and "makes a contest" - TBC and Ryder give us good first use! - not to be undervalued!!

Whats wrong with developing the mids/forwards we have (Kav, Del, Browne etc and remember Merrett has come along quicker than expected, so could others) because if we go and try to get another gun midfielder we will not resolve the "perceived" salary cap pressure we are under.

We got Goddard - that was great - but I think that we may have the talent already that we can develop to fill the last few mid rotations we need. There are guys we haven't even seen yet Van Unen etc.
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

Western Red wrote:Gumby - maybe (and a big maybe)

TBC - not a f****** chance - we would have 1 ruckman left if we traded TBC. Everyone talks about getting another rookie ruck - why the f*** would we do that when we have a quality ruckman already? Ryder is good for at least 3-5 weeks off per year with injury or suspension so we need another ruck and not some spud that just runs around and "makes a contest" - TBC and Ryder give us good first use! - not to be undervalued!!

Whats wrong with developing the mids/forwards we have (Kav, Del, Browne etc and remember Merrett has come along quicker than expected, so could others) because if we go and try to get another gun midfielder we will not resolve the "perceived" salary cap pressure we are under.

We got Goddard - that was great - but I think that we may have the talent already that we can develop to fill the last few mid rotations we need. There are guys we haven't even seen yet Van Unen etc.
Not disagreeing but if they walk we get nothing... GWS and Bulldogs will have both firmly on their radars
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Ryder is signed up and Hille is going to retire.

Is there another ruck option coming thru the twos that is a monty to be taken by us in any draft? No?

TBC is a youngster in rucking terms, but plays beyond that. He needs to stay. JD is but a leaf on a wind swept Napier Street at the moment. He needs to consolidate the forward position and grow muscle before being cast into the centre ring! That'll be 2016. TBC must stay!
Last edited by F111 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Western Red wrote:TBC - not a f****** chance - we would have 1 ruckman left if we traded TBC.

But you can get another ruckman (or two even) in through a different trade or the draft from a state league, delistings or whatever. I'm not saying we must trade Bellchambers, but we should always be looking to improve and if we can get in another good young midfielder or two and/or good draft picks we should seriously consider it.
Western Red wrote:Whats wrong with developing the mids/forwards we have (Kav, Del, Browne etc and remember Merrett has come along quicker than expected, so could others) because if we go and try to get another gun midfielder we will not resolve the "perceived" salary cap pressure we are under.
Nothing's wrong with them, but it can't hurt to have more young midfielders, particularly if they've played some more senior games so you have a better idea of what they'll give you. What if Kav and Browne stay where they are?

And are we under salary cap pressure anyway? And if we get draft picks rather than players, that won't affect the salary cap up front.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

F111 wrote:Ryder is signed up and Hille is going to retire.

Is there another ruck option coming thru the twos that is a monty to be taken by us in any draft? No?

TBC is a youngster in rucking terms, but plays beyond that. He needs to stay. JD is but a leaf on a wind swept Napier Street at the moment. He needs to consolidate the forward position and grow muscle before being cast into the centre ring! That'll be 2016. TBC must stay!
we would be looking strongly at Michael Sikora who is on our VFL list and played in the state game against WA. He has been working with Hille at training and would be a very handy back up ruckman to work with Ryder. I would also like Daniher to become a genuine forward before he ventures into the ruck too.

Geel may have some excess ruckmen (West, Vardy, Simpson) we could enquire about too if needed.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Just thinking on this, we had a chance to get a potential game breaker last year in Garlett (not racist). He definitely would have been worth the risk of being a f***wit over keeping Steniberg, who is not going to make it.

And apparently he has turned his life around.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6652508331