Premiership points

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
boris
On the Rookie List

Premiership points

Post by boris »

Ok. Speculation / Schmekulation. Innocent till proven guilty ( unless you belong to EFC right )
If the AFL strip points for this year, it will be the biggest fiscal con I have seen in my history as a footy fan. There are so many contracts in place with broadcasters venues 3rd parties. Is the league working with the other sports agencies to delay outcomes to keep the gate turning till the finals? Surley all the facts are now gathered. If EFC leadership are legit guilty, that will SUCK, and i'll be done. I believe in the club, I have too. I can see no way back for the league if they dock points. Ramifications enormous for them with bomber fan backlash. I can see scenarios of young players suing for restraint of trade if not allowed to play finals / which may impact on their market value yada yada. This post is B.S. but NO ONE is guilty until proven so. My head hurts. Please help ! :roll: #-o :D
electrickery
F111
Essendon Legend

Re: Premiership points

Post by F111 »

boris wrote:...This post is B.S. but NO ONE is guilty until proven so. My head hurts. Please help ! :roll: #-o :D
Drugs man. That's where it's at!
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

The biggest issue the f***tards at the AFL have is if they rub us out, who the hell is going to prop up perennial basket cases like North, Footscray, Melbourne with cash from our coffers!!!!

These guys beg the AFL for home games against us just so they can finally raise a few quid to by a hot water system for their spazzy training facilities

Rub Essendon out at your own risk f******
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Listen a plan would already have been made by the AFL before all of this went public.

This is how it will have to work to satisfy broadcasters.

If guilty essendon will pay:
Financially: a fine.
Loss of premiership points at the conclusion of H & A.
Required to play out until round 23.
Loss of Draft Picks.

Disciplining of any player will come from ASADA. Timing will be done with consideration of the above. I would say this element will play out in the courts.

It will be done so there is no or little impact on the competition.

In terms of games the worst it will be is missing finals because the AFL can just promote 9th. That will be devastating, but recoverable. When it happened in the NRL to I think the bulldogs they responded really well the next year.

Personally I am just praying they dont rub out our players.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I think rocky already said it. We haven't even been charged yet and we are speculating about penalties. I read that Mark Thompson is being represented this week by a sports lawyer who has stated previously that AOD was listed 4 times as not banned in the ACC report. They got their info from somewhere. Again, I'm caught between the media propaganda to burn us and obvious confusion over whether we in fact did anything wrong. f*** me this is too stressful.
bomberchampion
Top Up Player

Post by bomberchampion »

If the afl takes action Essendon will sue.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

I for one will be outraged if this costs us premiership points, player suspensions, loss of Brownlow etc.

I don't give a flying f*** about being fined. That will be paid and we can move on.

If this season becomes a myth, a farce, a complete waste of time and we endure ongoing penalties - then I will be demanding our day in Court!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
bomberchampion
Top Up Player

Post by bomberchampion »

Exactly.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

hop wrote:I for one will be outraged if this costs us premiership points, player suspensions, loss of Brownlow etc.

I don't give a flying f*** about being fined. That will be paid and we can move on.

If this season becomes a myth, a farce, a complete waste of time and we endure ongoing penalties - then I will be demanding our day in Court!
You can bet the lifetime earnings of all your greatgrandchildren that the AFL is furiously looking to protect the players and their reputations against a legislative code that is very very draconian and offers little wriggle room (especially when the President needs to shore up his reputation)...

So - I expect that the club will come to a compromise - protect the players and most of the coaches - but cop a big whack .... I suspect that this will mean that the team doesn't play finals this year - and a high profile EFC person whould have to fall on their sword ... regardless of the fairness or justice of the situation...

Of course it depends just who the 13 players were - and I fully anticipate that half a dozen of these are either at other clubs or are still at the club but on the outside and unlikely to feature in the next premiership tilt... but even so

s'd
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

tonysoprano wrote:AOD was listed 4 times as not banned in the ACC report.
They now say that was a typo. How do you make such a significant typo four times?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

s'dreams wrote:
hop wrote:I for one will be outraged if this costs us premiership points, player suspensions, loss of Brownlow etc.

Of course it depends just who the 13 players were
s'd

where did this figure of 13 players came from?

I mean earlier this year the Scum was reporting that 6 2012 Essendon listed players (which would suggest some of those 6 are either at other clubs, or no longer in the competition) had been given injections of AOD last year.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

j-mac31 wrote:
They now say that was a typo. How do you make such a significant typo four times?
really? when did they say that?
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

My understanding is that ASADA is claiming it doesn't matter what it says in the ACC report because it simply states that it isn't banned under the S2 list. It makes no mention of the legality of the substance under S0 catch all clause.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:My understanding is that ASADA is claiming it doesn't matter what it says in the ACC report because it simply states that it isn't banned under the S2 list. It makes no mention of the legality of the substance under S0 catch all clause.
They actually said "not currently a WADA prohibited substance" on 2 occasions and "not currently prohibited under S2 prohibited list" on one other occasion, and "currently not prohibited" in another.

Not sure what most people would interpret that to mean. But for a reasonable person, I'd say that means its not prohibited under S2 or anything else under WADA.
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

tonysoprano wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
really? when did they say that?
I've heard it said on SEN several times. Sounds like a bullshit cop out to me.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

Personally, I am not sure why the ACC repprt is relevant. They are not the ruling body. Its like saying to a teacher I didnt do my homework because Johnny in Grade 5 said i didnt have to.

If the club sought advice (or not) from ASADA before it implemented the supplement program, then that is the only relevant factor. Thus Dank's email from ASADA is crucial evidence. The ACC coming out with a separate report on the matter, whether right or wrong on the legality of AOD is neither here nor there. If the drug was banned or considered not for human use under the catch all clause by ASADA then that is all that matters.

The ACC report however does bring into question the matter of timing in terms of when the supplement may have been listed as banned. There is a chance that we commence the supps program at a point in time when the drug was legal. It may be that ASADA brought in the banned classification after this point? If this is the case and Essendon was not advised (assuming that they had earlier sought permission to use the drug) then I would be pretty confident we have no case to answer.

However, if ASADA or WADA claim that the onus is on the club or entity to regulalry check the status of a drug then perhaps we may have some explaining to so. Although to be honest, this would be onerous as you would have to check on a daily basis or at least every time the drug was being administered. This cannot be considered reasonable nor practical
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

JockStraps wrote:Personally, I am not sure why the ACC repprt is relevant. They are not the ruling body. Its like saying to a teacher I didnt do my homework because Johnny in Grade 5 said i didnt have to.

If the club sought advice (or not) from ASADA before it implemented the supplement program, then that is the only relevant factor. Thus Dank's email from ASADA is crucial evidence. The ACC coming out with a separate report on the matter, whether right or wrong on the legality of AOD is neither here nor there. If the drug was banned or considered not for human use under the catch all clause by ASADA then that is all that matters.

The ACC report however does bring into question the matter of timing in terms of when the supplement may have been listed as banned. There is a chance that we commence the supps program at a point in time when the drug was legal. It may be that ASADA brought in the banned classification after this point? If this is the case and Essendon was not advised (assuming that they had earlier sought permission to use the drug) then I would be pretty confident we have no case to answer.

However, if ASADA or WADA claim that the onus is on the club or entity to regulalry check the status of a drug then perhaps we may have some explaining to so. Although to be honest, this would be onerous as you would have to check on a daily basis or at least every time the drug was being administered. This cannot be considered reasonable nor practical
FMD, if ACC sought advice from ASADA for the information in their report, then I'd say it is very relevant to the case we're putting forward. If ASADA gave ACC the impression that AOD-9604 is not a prohibited substance, then there is a good possibility that it did the same to us.

And it's not the "catch all clause" of ASADA, it's WADA.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

The preamble to s0 also says the clause relates to substances not otherwise covered by the following clauses (s1 onwards). S2 relates to peptides, growth hormones and related substances. If the ACC got advice from ASADA on AOD who said it's not banned under s2 then to me a lay person would interpret that as covered under s2 and therefore s0 becomes irrelevant.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

I for one look forward to our battle for a top two spot.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

BenDoolan wrote:
JockStraps wrote:Personally, I am not sure why the ACC repprt is relevant. They are not the ruling body. Its like saying to a teacher I didnt do my homework because Johnny in Grade 5 said i didnt have to.

FMD, if ACC sought advice from ASADA for the information in their report, then I'd say it is very relevant to the case we're putting forward. If ASADA gave ACC the impression that AOD-9604 is not a prohibited substance, then there is a good possibility that it did the same to us.

And it's not the "catch all clause" of ASADA, it's WADA.

BD, I hear you but respectfully disagree. The ACC could have been told anything by ASADA and it wont matter a hoot if ASADA told Essendon, careful chums, you are crossing the line. The ruling and proverbial buck stops with ASADA and not the ACC. Sure, the ACC report brings into question ASADA's reliability and credibility but that does not change the fact that the ACC is not the authority on the matter. Essendon did not go to the ACC and ask permission to use the supplements in question. The ACC report was happening independently. Anyway, why would Essendon go to the ACC and get clearance. Perhaps had they done this, then they may have a leg to stand on if the ACC had given the all clear. But I am pretty sure that Essendon did not consult the ACC therefore the ruling by ASADA, regardless of what it may or may not have told the ACC is the final word.

Will the ACC report open up alternative legal channels should we wish to defend our position, maybe. But from a legal perspective, the ACC would not be considered the authoritative entity and as such, their report cannot be seen to completely exonerate any wrong doing (should there have been any)

Put it this way, lets say Essendon is found guilty and appeals in court, our Lawyers may argue that an independent report by the ACC states that ASADA has not banned the supplements in question. If I was a judge I would then ask whether Essendon enquired with ASADA first before implementing the program. Lets say our answer is yes, we did. The judge would then naturally ask what was the response from ASADA? If the response was Beware do not touch this stuff then the judge would have no other choice than to say we contravened the regulations - regardless of the ACC report which was completed at a later point in time.

Am I making any sense? :?: