VFL v Box Hill Whores

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

VFL v Box Hill Whores

Post by j-mac31 »

Hille and Colyer playing, Jetta not.

1/4 time

Box Hill 3.7 (25)
Essendon 1.3 (9)

Daniher with a goal, two great contested marks and getting up the ground a bit.

We've used the ball badly coming out of the backline and wasted several opportunities when we got it forward (Crameri, Daniher and Dell guilty). Lucky to be this close.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
F111
Essendon Legend

Re: VFL v Box Hill Whores

Post by F111 »

If you recorded this to view later, delete first. :oops:
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Watched half as I went out but geez... VERY flat & ordinary performance all round! They just looked like they didn't want to chase & our ball use was shocking.
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Watched half as I went out but geez... VERY flat & ordinary performance all round! They just looked like they didn't want to chase & our ball use was shocking.
Christ I hope it means nothing with respect to the senior side's attitude tomorrow :-({|=
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Pretty poor performance all up. Generally were second to the ball, and didn't tackle well when we were. Must have given away almost 40 free kicks in the end (gave away 13 in the first quarter). Another problem was our handballs under pressure were generally so short that the next bloke was under the same pressure. This was probably made worse by our lack of clean hands. The most disappointing thing for me was the lack of influence from the more senior players. Crameri, Colyer, Del, NLM didn't dominate like you would hope guys on the fringe of the senior team would. Hille battled well as the only ruck.

Some positives:

Daniher continued to show why he is rated so highly. Took a heap of contested marks, and had to work up to the wings and back flanks for a lot of them. Could have kicked 4-5 if he kicked better from limited chances. Had a fair stint in the ruck in the last, but still looks far more comfortable as a forward.

Steinberg did well in defence and rebounded reasonably well. Worth persisting with. Could be a good third tall defender.

Dalgleish rebounded well from defence (and had plenty of opportunity to do so). Might get a glimpse of him in the last few rounds with Gleeson on the long term injury list and Dempsey out. Certainly wasn't a complete game from him but he did well in patches.

Kav was commended on his defensive job at three quarter time. Can't say I know the Box Hill players well enough to know who he was on though. Maybe Iles, but I see he is named as second best for Box Hill.

Ashby found plenty of the ball and took a few good grabs in defence, and looked like he will be a good player. Disposal was a touch off at times though.

Looking back at those comments, maybe the defenders stood out because the ball was there so much. Our midfield was hammered so that makes sense.

All in all, not a great performance when battling for a place in the eight. Let's hope the seniors do a little better tomorrow.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

started watching and soon started doing house work..... my god what a boring game of footy to watch
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

What a shit game by us. Daniher looked great when we could get it to him, but that was mostly on the wing and half back. We just couldn't get it through the middle of the ground. We were so shit that Carmeri went into the centre square in the last quarter.

Not surprisingly, other than Daniher our best were backline players - Steinbrenner, Dalgleish, Van Unen and Ashby (in no particular order).
Sartorius wrote:Crameri, Colyer, Del, NLM didn't dominate like you would hope guys on the fringe of the senior team would. Hille battled well as the only ruck.
Agree. Colyer did alright in the second half. Also disappointing that Duscher did nothing after last week.

Like the look of Tipungwuti again. Would definitely be worth a rookie spot next year.
Sartorius wrote:Kav was commended on his defensive job at three quarter time. Can't say I know the Box Hill players well enough to know who he was on though. Maybe Iles, but I see he is named as second best for Box Hill.
Interesting and Kav was mentioned in our best in The Age (although same with last week, perhaps he's the new Quinn?) but I didn't see it. I watched him "closely" again (ie. not noticing his defensive work as such) and I was again disappointed - when the ball's in dispute he stands around watching and when we've got it he jogs around. He needs to go and get the ball himself more and work hard to get into good spots when we've got it. In the second quarter he had a 20m run followed by a beautiful 60m pass in the perfect spot for Crameri to take the contested mark - if he starts getting the ball in space some more he'll be very good.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Also I missed the first 5 minutes or so so didn't see us kick a goal live until halfway through the third quarter. #-o