Hello, AFL, Are you there ?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
StanMan
Top Up Player

Hello, AFL, Are you there ?

Post by StanMan »

Expected to hand down its findings & penalties on Monday (past) or Tuesday (almost past), but not a word ..... hmmmm,
could it be that the Essendon legals have waded in with enough of our own withheld material to put the AFL on the backfoot so much that they have had to redraft, redraft, redraft, their much awaited public announcements including watered down penalties in a secret deal ???

I did not hear anything on Scum TV tonight about why there has been no AFL announcement ! The silence was deafening.

Could it be that the AFL orchestrated the Voss sacking to take the spotlight off the ArseADA fiasco ?? LOL
Last edited by StanMan on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Re: Hello, AFL, Are you there ?

Post by billyduckworth »

Announcement now made. My initial reaction is a huge shaking of the head. Where is the logic in any of this?

(1) No charges against players (good news) but charges against four officials (Hird, Thompson, Corcoran & Reid). Now if no charges are laid against players, doesn't that mean that they couldn't find any proof of any banned substances so in that case what exactly are these officials being charged with?

(2) What the hell does "bringing the game into disrepute" mean anyway? Let's not forget that Essendon self reported. How is that damaging the AFL brand? The true culprits who have damaged the brand are the sports minister for that ridiculously overblown statement about the "darkest day", the AFL itself for leaking all over the place and the media for blowing it all out of proportion.

(3) Why are there no charges against either Dank or Robinson? They were the two guys actually running the program. Surely they have to take some responsibility too. The only explanation for this offered on the ABC was that they no longer work for an AFL club and are therefore outside its powers. If this is so, then maybe Hirdy and all the others should have resigned too and they would have all gotten off scott free!!??

None, I repeat none. of this would ever stand up in a proper court of law. I guess we now have two choices:
(a) roll over and accept the penalties because we want to stay in the competition
(b) tell them where to go, fight it in court.

I would like to think we would take option (b) but in reality I doubt we would because this would mean effectively leaving the AFL. Unless we can convince Collingwood and a couple of other major teams to join us, this will never work.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Essendon Football Club confirms it and four Club employees – James Hird, Mark Thompson, Danny Corcoran and Dr Bruce Reid – have received notice from the AFL that they have been charged under AFL Rule 1.6.

Now that charges have been laid, the Club and individuals involved are in a far better position to focus on understanding the specific nature of the allegations and the evidence upon which the AFL has relied to lay the charges.

Essendon takes these matters very seriously. They are based on assertions contained in an interim report from ASADA and will be vigorously defended.

These are very complex matters and whilst the Essendon Football Club is determined to resolve them expeditiously, that cannot be at the expense of thoroughness and due process that affords all parties natural justice to ensure a fair outcome.

Essendon welcomes the news that no infraction notices have been issued against any of its players and the AFL’s statement that, on current evidence, no notices will be issued.

Throughout this process, our prime consideration has been the welfare of our players. We have maintained that no player has taken a performance enhancing substance and that there was no breach of the AFL’s anti-doping code. We stand by this and thank our players and their families for the way they have conducted themselves during what have been emotionally taxing times.

Since the Club first raised its concerns with the AFL and proactively invited ASADA to investigate these matters, we have co-operated fully with all enquiries.

It is also important to be very clear that there is no doubt the Club and individuals have made mistakes and that our governance and people management had significant gaps.

Over recent months, we have also implemented fundamental reforms of our internal governance practices and procedures, including reform of our HR and employee recruitment policies, medical protocols and lines of responsibility and accountability. The Club has been assisted in this task by appropriate independent experts.

Given the Club’s assessment of the charges it is appropriate that the four individuals continue to perform their roles within our reformed governance structure. To do otherwise before these matters are finalised would be to effectively impose a penalty in advance of a fair hearing and represent a denial of natural justice.

The Club notes that the AFL does not intend to make further comment at this time and neither will the Essendon Football Club or the charged individuals.

Thank you once again for your continued support of the Club.

Regards,

Paul Little
Chairman
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

All class Mr Little.

Prepare and provide a response to the AFL in defence, and if they don't take it into consideration and impose harsh penalties, take them to court.

Well done.

What a f****** crock of shit this all is. At this stage we ran a legitimate program in 2012, and that is supposed to bring the game into disrepute. Haha, what a moronic situation.
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

"Conduct unbecoming"!! Does this mean pistols at dawn!!

FMD..Is this a military court?. What the f*** does that mean on top of bringing the game in disrepute.

More importantly, if the four are found guilty of whatever the AFL dream up, what is a likely penalty??

I know it is not over, but somehow we have hung on to our points, at least for the meantime which suggests to me that whatever they have on us does not amount to 3 parts of fuckall.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

rockhole wrote:"Conduct unbecoming"!! Does this mean pistols at dawn!!

FMD..Is this a military court?. What the f*** does that mean on top of bringing the game in disrepute.

More importantly, if the four are found guilty of whatever the AFL dream up, what is a likely penalty??

I know it is not over, but somehow we have hung on to our points, at least for the meantime which suggests to me that whatever they have on us does not amount to 3 parts of fuckall.
Here's the word on Bigfooty. Make of it what you want.
OK... latest from my man on the inside... and so far he is batting at 100%.

Deal very close to being finalised.. he believes a deal will be struck before the hearing. AFL don't want this extending into finals series. Club can ask for extra time but everyone would prefer this to be resolved sooner rather than later.

AFL currently offered 6 month suspensions for all four individuals, although Reid and Thompson can have 'suspended' sentences. All four to receive 'nominal' fines. (presumably the club would pay them anyway). EFC can take a 2.5M fine and loss of 1st and 2nd round draft picks for next year.

EFC currently looking for: All individuals to be cleared. Club sanctions are OK.

So the club sanctions are pretty much set at a huge fine ($ amount may vary) and a couple of draft picks (will hurt but we will survive - think of them as duds anyway)

The real battleground is the four individuals, AFL very keen to throw the book at Reid and Hird and Corcoran, Thompson not so much. Club will defend all four to the hilt. I suspect all four would take fines and offer apologies though. So I think middle ground can be made (in my opinion).

Hang in there guys.. still a lot of Wilson **** to wade through and a few more hundred articles but you will hear the news here first.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

dom_105 wrote:
rockhole wrote:"Conduct unbecoming"!! Does this mean pistols at dawn!!

Here's the word on Bigfooty. Make of it what you want.
OK... latest from my man on the inside... and so far he is batting at 100%.

Deal very close to being finalised.. he believes a deal will be struck before the hearing. AFL don't want this extending into finals series. Club can ask for extra time but everyone would prefer this to be resolved sooner rather than later.

AFL currently offered 6 month suspensions for all four individuals, although Reid and Thompson can have 'suspended' sentences. All four to receive 'nominal' fines. (presumably the club would pay them anyway). EFC can take a 2.5M fine and loss of 1st and 2nd round draft picks for next year.

EFC currently looking for: All individuals to be cleared. Club sanctions are OK.

So the club sanctions are pretty much set at a huge fine ($ amount may vary) and a couple of draft picks (will hurt but we will survive - think of them as duds anyway)

The real battleground is the four individuals, AFL very keen to throw the book at Reid and Hird and Corcoran, Thompson not so much. Club will defend all four to the hilt. I suspect all four would take fines and offer apologies though. So I think middle ground can be made (in my opinion).

Hang in there guys.. still a lot of Wilson **** to wade through and a few more hundred articles but you will hear the news here first.
Well I say they can GO AND f*** THEMSELVES!! No findings of any banned substances means we fight every single charge against the club or individuals to the absolute death.
We self report, launch a thorough investigation which gets everything out in the open prior to the ASADA investigation, fire people, make structural changes. We should be lauded for our swift response and paraded through the Docklands with a f****** standing ovation past AFL House! "Disrepute" indeed, you f****** morons!

Let's go.
Like a turd in the swimming pool, these are the days of our EFC lives
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Hello AFL,

Go f*** yourself.
mds
On the Rookie List

Re: Hello, AFL, Are you there? Out celebrating with Caro.

Post by mds »

Bloody hell, I hope we fight this. Now that the players are "supposedly" safe although, how can the AFL say that when the ASADA investigation is on-going and people can be charged by them, retrospectively? Get that in writing and witnessed.

There seems to be several things running concurrently here. The Governance issue, The drugs issue with ASADA, the bringing the game into disrepute and conduct unbecoming and what about the "supposed" leaks to the media and "allegedly" else where?

Don't like it but its got to be better to have some idea of what we are/might be dealing with than none. Will the individual cases be separately handled from the case being bought against the club? Or we will they all be rolled into one?

Hell, that's a real no brainer; justice, integrity and truth. No good looking at AFL house then.
StanMan
Top Up Player

Post by StanMan »

The handpass is on ..... now its our turn with the ball in OUR court (pardon the pun) - I am damn sure EFC and its legals have a lot of cards to play here, and now is the time. At last we can speak up & defend and maybe even point the finger with evidence at others who have damned us.

If I was a scum journo who went public I would now find it hard to sleep at night - the wrath will land at the feet of one in particular.

As for parading at Docklands - I would love to join my fellow 55,000 members there - something I doubt has ever been done before in the world by a sporting club members.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Incidentally I reckon Steve Dank's lawyers are probably onto their second bottle of the finest red right about now. No findings of use of banned substances. Here he comes "journalists"...get ready...

https://soundcloud.com/sportsdayvictori ... -sportsday
Like a turd in the swimming pool, these are the days of our EFC lives
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I'm guessing the AFL were desperate to make a deal today - hoped we'd fold. Little and co. said no, we are all in. AFL had to call. We've seen the flop, now for the turn. River card in court!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

StanMan wrote:The handpass is on ..... now its our turn with the ball in OUR court (pardon the pun) - I am damn sure EFC and its legals have a lot of cards to play here, and now is the time. At last we can speak up & defend and maybe even point the finger with evidence at others who have damned us.

If I was a scum journo who went public I would now find it hard to sleep at night - the wrath will land at the feet of one in particular.

As for parading at Docklands - I would love to join my fellow 55,000 members there - something I doubt has ever been done before in the world by a sporting club members.
Great post Sir
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

2.5M dollar fine? That will be paid for by one C. Wilson. Thanks Caro!

:lol:
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

BenDoolan wrote:2.5M dollar fine? That will be paid for by one C. Wilson. Thanks Caro!

I could live with not winning another game this year if it meant that filthy whore of a maggot was brought down. I want her crushed.
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

No way will/should we fold for big fines, draft picks and findings against the four vlad can swin in the breeze, we,be come too far to fall for that
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
boris
On the Rookie List

Post by boris »

Fines: NO WAY, players didn't take anything.
Draft Picks : NO FRIKKEN WAY players didn't take anything.
Every supporter showing up at Caro's workplace/ :WAY, players didn't take anything.

then on to AFL House, as suggested. Should take ZERO CRAP from these fox hunters.
[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X
electrickery
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

If Hirdy etc are handed a 6 month suspension as of August 26, does it start from then? That would have them back late Feb, only missing the finals and pre preseason. We're not going anywhere in the finals anyway - lets be honest here - and would that appease the wanky masses with no great detriment to our 2014 season?
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
boris
On the Rookie List

Post by boris »

If they successfully sanction the 4 accused...
Just succeed from the Union I say.
Masses and AFL can get stuffed.
electrickery
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tonysoprano wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:2.5M dollar fine? That will be paid for by one C. Wilson. Thanks Caro!

I could live with not winning another game this year if it meant that filthy whore of a maggot was brought down. I want her crushed.
Oh hell yeah. I want the club to go through every article she has written, and every word she has said on her shit soapbox of a show.
Essendunny