Travis Colyer

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
JimboC
Top Up Player

Travis Colyer

Post by JimboC »

Reports coming in through various sites he re-signed with the club..!

Great work Trav..!!
The Watson Factor....
dom_105
Club Captain

Re: Travis Colyer

Post by dom_105 »

Where's this exodus I hear so much about?
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Spoke to him at the Crichton. Always have a chat to him when I see him at events and VFL. Asked him about his contract situation he said he was still sorting it out with the club. He was gonna head home to W.A for a bit with family before pre-season. Unless the club back tracks on re-signing him...expect to see him in 2014.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Looking forward to seeing him play 3 games next season...
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

bomberdonnie wrote:Looking forward to seeing him play 3 games next season...
Yep I'm with bomberdonnie on this one, I'm happy to be proven wrong because obviously I want good footballers at the club, but I really don't see what everyone is excited about when it comes to Colyer. He's fast but only seems to be able to be dangerous against sub-par opponents, he doesn't win enough of the footy (too small for contested play, doesn't run to the "right" areas).

Hopefully he proves me wrong, but I see Colyer being a VFL player that bobs up into the Seniors for a game or two when we're either struggling with injuries or forced to give him a game based on VFL form, and then he goes back down and has really next to no impact on the team.
donsgetthere
High Draft Pick

Post by donsgetthere »

Gatsid wrote:
Yep I'm with bomberdonnie on this one, I'm happy to be proven wrong because obviously I want good footballers at the club, but I really don't see what everyone is excited about when it comes to Colyer. He's fast but only seems to be able to be dangerous against sub-par opponents, he doesn't win enough of the footy (too small for contested play, doesn't run to the "right" areas).

Hopefully he proves me wrong, but I see Colyer being a VFL player that bobs up into the Seniors for a game or two when we're either struggling with injuries or forced to give him a game based on VFL form, and then he goes back down and has really next to no impact on the team.
Beyond me how jetta got games over him this year.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

donsgetthere wrote:
Gatsid wrote:

Fair point.
Essendunny
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

BenDoolan wrote:
donsgetthere wrote:
Gatsid wrote:

Fair point.
Very true, I can't argue with that. I would have preferred we really put Colyer to the test and provided him Jetta's opportunities. That way we'd know for sure whether or not Colyer has what it takes.

Ben have you done your usual season review ranking's out of 10? If not you should, some of us like the expert run down of the list :D
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I think it's worth giving him a few games next year to see if he can improve and be worth keeping beyond that. Perhaps with more opportunities in the forward line.

This from the interwebs:
Travis Colyer's agent Colin Young has said he is in discussions with another club, rumoured to be from his home state of Western Australia. It is reported that Colyer is expected to make a decision within the next 24 hours.
----
Greg Denham said on SEN this morning that Melbourne is also after Bombers duo Travis Colyer and David Myers.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013-10-07/trade-talk

Melbourne are up for trading pick 2 - Myers and Colyer for it. :wink:
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gatsid wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
donsgetthere wrote:
Gatsid wrote:

Fair point.
Very true, I can't argue with that. I would have preferred we really put Colyer to the test and provided him Jetta's opportunities. That way we'd know for sure whether or not Colyer has what it takes.

Ben have you done your usual season review ranking's out of 10? If not you should, some of us like the expert run down of the list :D
I'll get onto it :wink:

As for the "expert", are you referring to me as a former drip under pressure? If so, you're correct haha
Essendunny
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

BenDoolan wrote:
I'll get onto it :wink:

As for the "expert", are you referring to me as a former drip under pressure? If so, you're correct haha
Mate you can sell yourself short, but we all know we're getting more value out of your take on the list then we will from rubbish like Mike Sheahan's top 50, Caro's ranting and raving and just about any other bottom feeder involved in the media :lol:
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

2 more years. Very generous I was thinking one was fair but rapt for him. Really needs to step up more over the next two years or it'll be his last.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Another in what has been the bomber c-bomb for the last few years, consistency. His performance coming on as sub for the Freo game was awesome, then basically unsighted for the rest of the year.

Watson, Goddard, Heppel, Hibbard and Fletcher are the only ones who can claim anything like consistent performance this season.

Carlisle, Howlett, Zaharakis all started off well last year but dropped off.

Then we have out perennial yoyos Ryder, Stanton.

I'm not going to go into the walking wounded.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

I think he was a bit unlucky at times to be dropped. Others seemed to get a longer string of poor games before being dropped.

I would personally give him Daveys spot. I think if he plays forward consistently, he will kick a decent amount of goals.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Glad to see him re-signed. Has that real burst speed we need.
And definitely unlucky to not have played more games in 2013.
I think he offers more than Davey and Merrett, and he did better in the coach's eyes than them (Crichton poll), despite playing half as many games.
His downfall was his poor disposal, which was noticeably better later in the year. With a few more games (in a row) he could (hopefully) adjust to the pace and develop nicely.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Sismis wrote:Another in what has been the bomber c-bomb for the last few years, consistency. His performance coming on as sub for the Freo game was awesome, then basically unsighted for the rest of the year.

Watson, Goddard, Heppel, Hibbard and Fletcher are the only ones who can claim anything like consistent performance this season.

Carlisle, Howlett, Zaharakis all started off well last year but dropped off.

Then we have out perennial yoyos Ryder, Stanton.

I'm not going to go into the walking wounded.
Spoke to Benny at Crichton when he kindly came over and had a chat at my table for around 15min. I asked him how he felt his year was and he was disappointed due to his niggling injury. To which I assumed was his shoulder from Dreamtime game. But instead he meant a groin injury he had since the Eagles game. Amazing what players play through. A reminder to us all that we don't know everything the players may be dealing with throughout the year. Seems a few under performing players may have been in the same boat.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Goodwin: "when given the opportunity, [Colyer] provides us with an exciting option up forward".

Perhaps we will see him more as a permanent forward (well, as much as that exists these days) next season. And I expect he'll also be the sub several times.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
donsgetthere
High Draft Pick

Post by donsgetthere »

In Colyer we trust.