Defensive Structures

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Defensive Structures

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Saw interesting discussions with Bomber & Jordan Lewis over the past 2 nights on AFL 360 dissecting the defensive structures in the last 2 minutes of our game last week. A game both sides agree we should have won.

When we got 10 points in front with Chappys goal & they immediately got goal within 15 seconds of the bounce, down the ground vision was shown where we had 4 players in our defensive zone playing man on man by contrast when the dawks got in front later, they had 9 (yes nine) players in our forward to prevent more goals being scored. Bomber was going crazy in the box trying to get more players back but said his runner was already on the ground & could not deliver the message in time. So then , he asked the question, why didn't the on-field leaders wake up to this. Lewis in contrast said their players knew instinctively what needed to be done.

Bomber vowed that will never happen again comparing it to when he was at geelong when they lost a prelim final in Sydney when Davis easily walked through the pack to kick the winning goal on the siren. He said geelong never had a goal kicked against them like that for over 18 months of footy.

Bomber was also shown going straight to Zaka after the game blasting him for not staying on his man at a ball up prior to Rioli getting his goal. Vision shows Zaka walking to the contest with his man running past getting 2 vital possessions to get the ball clear to Rioli.

Gleeson (Rioli's opponent) was also mentioned for leaving his man unattended while he went to where the ball was, thereby leaving Rioli alone. He cut Gleeson some slack as this was his 2nd game & he will learn. But he wasn't so understanding of the on field leaders who should have known better.

It just shows how critical moments & decisions made (or not made) in the game can be affected by not being aware of the small things that can lead to defeat. You can't be asleep at the wheel especially against the top sides. Attacking footy is fine, it got us back into the game last week, but defensive footy is just as vital in tight games. Losing Paddy didn't help either as we lost all 3 centre clearances in those last minutes.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Re: Defensive Structures

Post by billyduckworth »

I reckon this kind of thing (allowing easy goals in the last minute or two of a quarter) has been an issue for us for years.
It hasn't always cost us the game so obviously as this time, but it is still annoying how often it happens.

Maybe now Bomber will make sure it never happens again. Let's hope so.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ronny Rotten wrote:Saw interesting discussions with Bomber & Jordan Lewis over the past 2 nights on AFL 360 dissecting the defensive structures in the last 2 minutes of our game last week. A game both sides agree we should have won.

When we got 10 points in front with Chappys goal & they immediately got goal within 15 seconds of the bounce, down the ground vision was shown where we had 4 players in our defensive zone playing man on man by contrast when the dawks got in front later, they had 9 (yes nine) players in our forward to prevent more goals being scored. Bomber was going crazy in the box trying to get more players back but said his runner was already on the ground & could not deliver the message in time. So then , he asked the question, why didn't the on-field leaders wake up to this. Lewis in contrast said their players knew instinctively what needed to be done.

Bomber vowed that will never happen again comparing it to when he was at geelong when they lost a prelim final in Sydney when Davis easily walked through the pack to kick the winning goal on the siren. He said geelong never had a goal kicked against them like that for over 18 months of footy.

Bomber was also shown going straight to Zaka after the game blasting him for not staying on his man at a ball up prior to Rioli getting his goal. Vision shows Zaka walking to the contest with his man running past getting 2 vital possessions to get the ball clear to Rioli.

Gleeson (Rioli's opponent) was also mentioned for leaving his man unattended while he went to where the ball was, thereby leaving Rioli alone. He cut Gleeson some slack as this was his 2nd game & he will learn. But he wasn't so understanding of the on field leaders who should have known better.

It just shows how critical moments & decisions made (or not made) in the game can be affected by not being aware of the small things that can lead to defeat. You can't be asleep at the wheel especially against the top sides. Attacking footy is fine, it got us back into the game last week, but defensive footy is just as vital in tight games. Losing Paddy didn't help either as we lost all 3 centre clearances in those last minutes.
Well, that game can be a valuable learning tool. Bomber is a great coach. Pity he isn't interested in doing it in the long term IMO.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I hope he made reference to Goddard on Burgoyne at the last couple of bounces too - wrong side of his man when you are in front with less than 2 mins on the clock. And basically standing still.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

tonysoprano wrote:I hope he made reference to Goddard on Burgoyne at the last couple of bounces too - wrong side of his man when you are in front with less than 2 mins on the clock. And basically standing still.

This. :x :-" :roll:

Bomber didn't need a runner to tell them what to do.
There were 4-5 supporters, including me, in my vicinity, yelling to flood the defense after Chappy's goal. I blame the cheer squad as they should've been chanting "Essendon:flood the backline"... clap,clap,clap. repeat....
:wink:
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

This situation really pissed me off. Its stuff that under 12s should know. How the hell can an AFL team not know to get numbers in the defensive 50 to stop easy movement of the ball/1 on 1 footy. Then when Hawks got in front we had no one forward of the ball to take a damn mark. IM just glad it was only round 2 and not a final.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I really think we should have enough experience now to stop doing amateur shit like this. f***, Chapman himself should have run down the middle of the ground after his goal yelling at everyone to join him.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

billyduckworth wrote:I reckon this kind of thing (allowing easy goals in the last minute or two of a quarter) has been an issue for us for years.
It hasn't always cost us the game so obviously as this time, but it is still annoying how often it happens.

Maybe now Bomber will make sure it never happens again. Let's hope so.
This.

Junk time goals have killed us for years.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.